Best Amp for Modern Raunch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LPMojoGL, Apr 22, 2015.

1. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

There are so many threads about the best amp to capture vintage sounds, or for the best "modern metal" tone.

What's out there for hard-rocking dirt tones?
    Mesa Rectifiers are a dated sound, imo, as well as the Soldano SLO, and anything Marshall has put out in a long time. The JVM hot channels sound fairly modern, but in a Marshall sort of way.
    Budda and Naylor are old designs from the beginnings of the boutique craze.
    Bad Cat strikes me as a modern take on vintage tone, like most of Bogner stuff. Bogner Uberschall is a good one.
    Peavey and EVH...eh. I'm thinking a step up, in quality and price.
    Orange comes to mind, but they strike me as stoner rock amps.

Friedman amps are obviously hitting the right spot with many folks for modded Marshall tones.

I heard a Hughes n Kettner TriAmp MkIII today that was ridiculously gainy, tight n juicy. It was freaking fantastic. Better be for the $4000 price tag.

Diezel? Peters? Fryette? What do you like for modern dirt tones that aren't Marshally? Plenty of gain, but with great response to guitar volume, covering anything from light breakup to awesomely heavy. Anyone doing anything new out there in the world of tube amps?

2. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

As you seem unsatisfied with most of what's out there, perhaps focus on your playing to come up with new ideas/sounds?

3. LPMojoGL

Not unsatisfied. I usually sound like me no matter what. Just wondering what's awesome out there.

4. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

It seems "rauchy" is usually used to describe Tweed. Are you thinking modern tweedish type amp? If so, Swart and Tone King both come to mind. But those don't come close to high gain. How much gain are you thinking?

When I want to get raunchy I plug into my Cortez (5E3). Yeah it's not high gain, but it does often surprise me how much dirt it can produce for an amp that was probably intended for clean playing.

The ValveTrain line has always interested me. Especially the Charleston (used to be the 416) which is 5E3 based with a master volume.

The Tone King Falcon comes to mind when I think raunch. That really seems like it would be a fun amp.

Now that I have the Friedman JJ (thanks to you're great sound clips) I feel like tweed is the only other type of amp that I would need in my stable.

And to respond to Comanche, go check out the JJ100 thread where Bobby posted a ton of sound clips of his playing. Judging by the quality, I think he spends plenty of time focused on his playing.

5. funkycam

funkycam Member

The triple rectifier is not dated, it depends on how you use it. It does a ton of things beyond that early 2000s detuned thing.

Strat neck pickup into a triple rec is a huge over the top bluesey thing. mini buckers into a low gain setting is vintage but audacious & over sized. I play a triple rec in Oakland churches & use it for a lot of sessions. 60's type boosts do a whole other thing to the front end.
    Please note I am referring to the most recent 3 channel circuit used with 6l6s. I have played older ones & ones with el34s that didn't have what mine does.

6. Gallery

I think I probably misinterpreted what you meant by raunch...

I think what you are probably looking for can be found here:

http://www.verellenamplifiers.com/

7. supercreep

supercreep Member

raunch? fuzz plus supros and/or tweed fenders. i am not sure if we are talking bout the kind of raunch though

8. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Fryette Deliverance sounds up your alley. It's a touch modded Marshall-ish, but like all Fryette's it has enough of its own thing going on to stand out.
    It has a very wide range of sounds, comes in 60w or 120w, does dirty rock tones great, and loves a boost.

9. tritone 6

tritone 6 Silver Supporting Member

Freyette?
    Redplate has my attention...not sure about modern, but everything I've heard sounds great...maybe with a boost, you could achieve the modern thing

10. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

Can you name any bands that have a sound like you have in mind?

I get your point that MESAs can sound quite 90s/2000s (though I agree with funkycam that they can do a lot more, especially the Tremoverb). And SLOs can sound quite 80s. Not surprising; they came out during those decades and a lot of bands from the eras used them.

I've just answered in another thread that Trainwreck/Komet amps are pretty unique (i.e. unlike many others, not based on a modded Marshall) and while the Express was designed a long time ago they haven't been hugely popular at any particular time so maybe they will sound less dated to you. Or at least not as connected to a particular time. You might have similar results with something else that's a little more unusual; Matamp, Dr Z...

11. sleewell

sleewell Member

Channel one of the fuchs viper

12. LPVM

LPVM Member

"Best" is up to the user. I'm not sure I could ever decide which I like better. There are so many cool amps these days. You can certainly drop $3k+ on a boutique amp for that but there are plenty of affordable amps out there that will deliver 99% of the same thing for a fraction of the price. I'm currently using this one for that type of thing.

[​IMG]

A family friend bought it non-working for beer money and brought it to me to fix so he could flip it. I fixed it and traded him a pair of small vintage combos for it. I like using the green channel and step on a DLS for leads. It covers slightly dirty classic rock to paint peeling high gain tones with the controls on my guitar and the stomp of a pedal.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  13. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

I hear you man I'm all about the modern hard rock tones. I feel conflicted because there are so many great amp builders these days, yet I can't say there's one amp out there that I'm dying to try. I think if anything could show up on my doorstep tomorrow morning, it would be a Peters Hydra/Halo type of amp or maybe a Friedman. Diezel and Fryette also interest me but not to the point that I'm saving pennies.

14. LPMojoGL

I guess I should change the title. I'm just wondering what's new out there, that's rocking hard, not exactly like anything before it.
    By raunch, I'm mean something filthy dirty high gain.

That H&K Tri MkIII is ridiculous. Balls, gain, clarity...it was vicious man!!
    It has separate preamps to cover different sounds, plus 2 EL34s and 4 6L6s, with the ability to accept other tubes. Sooooo many tubes in that thing. $4000, and it was bought the second it came in.
    It got me to thinking, what else is out there like this. New, different...
    I realize that this isn't the best forum for that type of thing
    I'm not looking to buy anything. The JJ100 is freaking fantastic. Just curious.

Thanks for the compliment and the link, Gallery. I actually play the same ol thing a lot, haven't "practiced" or learned anything new in a while. I'm constantly coming up with new riffs or ideas, but don't even work those out that often anymore.

15. Harsh59

Harsh59 Member

Maybe a PRS Archon ?

16. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

i agree with a few here, I'd be looking at the Fryette Deliverance 120 if you can live with a one channel amp. For a long time that's what Unearth was using live, and they are the epitome of good modern metal IMO. If you need a channel switcher, I'd save for the Diezel VH amp. That thing is a monster, built for metal, just refusing not to rock.

17. protest

protest Member

I thought Unearth used Ultra Leads?

18. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I saw them 3 times: 2005, 2006, 2009 and it was Deliverance heads all three times. Killer band.

19. Gallery

Just listened to Unearth. Uhg, that screaming death metal vocals thing has gotten so old. Way back when bands like Sepultura and Death were doing it and it was original, I could tolerate it, but not anymore. I find myself listening to Mastadon and Red Fang because they favor cleaner understandable vocals. The Doom or Stoner Metal sound suits me more.

Mastadon fits my definition of modern raunch and they use a JMP 2203's, Diezel VH4, Friedman JJ100 and Friedman BE100. So you're already set up for that Bobby.

I seem to remember Red Fang using Orange amps, but I can't recall for sure.

20. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

I was at an open mike about 2 years ago with a dude roaring through a solid state marshall.

I try and remember this whenever I look at my gear and start telling myself i need an upgrade.