• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Best Amp for Pete Cornish Pedals

Iggster

Hello all, I'm sure this is covered somewhere here before, but what amp is everyone using for Pete Cornish pedals? I have the SS-3, G2, and the P2.

Rumblefish

Silver Supporting Member
May I suggest you reverse your thinking.Get an amp closest to your benchmark sound and then buy pedals that match the amp well.Good luck in the tone quest.It never ends.

Drifting

May I suggest you reverse your thinking.Get an amp closest to your benchmark sound and then buy pedals that match the amp well.Good luck in the tone quest.It never ends.
Exactly what I was going to say, couldn't have worded it better.

That being said, an old styled marshall or BF fender styled/inspired amp seem to do the best with pedals if you're really stuck on them.

KennyM

Silver Supporting Member
Exactly what I was going to say, couldn't have worded it better.

That being said, an old styled marshall or BF fender styled/inspired amp seem to do the best with pedals if you're really stuck on them.
Not really the best advice concerning Pete Cornish pedals IMHO. Pete recommends a clean sounding amp which I have found to be the best advice actually.

I have the same PC pedals as you plus a Boost Mute. While they seem to work pretty well with my D13's and other amps, I think they actually sound best with a BF Bandmaster I have. I think the main reason is that this amp really doesn't start breaking up until it's pretty cranked (7 or 8). I think this is one of the reasons the Bandmaster isn't as popular as other BF Fenders that start breaking up at 3 or 4, but it makes it a great platform for the Cornish pedals. The higher the clean headroom available the better match for Pete's pedals I think. Probably why they work for Gilmour so well with a Hiwatt.

This took me some getting used to as I was more of the thinking mentioned by Rumblefish and Drifter preferring to use pedals to kick an already cooking amp in the ass. This didn't seem to work as well with the Cornish pedals and I actually like other OD pedals more with my D13's and Marshalls. These amps work better with pedals that just goose the sound of the amp a bit.

I'd recommend finding the most clean balanced sounding amp you can at the volume level you need.

GTRICH

VHT Pittbull UL (marshall style): I run my SS-3 into the clean channel with everything turned down except for the volume, then I goose the SS-3 with a fuzz pedal (swollen pickle or dirt pedal) or boost the SS-3 with a ParaEQ pedal. I rarely turn up the dirt high on the SS-3. It helps soften my fuzz pedals.

markom89

I've ran the SS-3, TES and TB83 Extra through both my Bruno UG30 and /13 and I've gotta' say... they sound equally killer through both! Can't wait 'till my buddy brings 'em over again, hopefully this weekend... I'd like to record some stuff with them. I'm also very anxious to try them out through a high-headroom oriented amp, like a Hiwatt. I love the PC pedals!

RussB

low rent hobbyist
You could buy a pretty sweet amp for the combined cost of the cornish pedals...

KennyM

Silver Supporting Member
You could buy a pretty sweet amp for the combined cost of the cornish pedals...
And then do what everyone else does and plug a Tube Screamer into it and turn that sweet sound into a Dentist drill. :facepalm

Point well taken though as nothing beats a sweet sounding amp. A little boost to hit the amp a little harder is what I prefer with my D13's.

These pedals don't do it for everyone obviously, but they're the first OD/Dist sounds in a box that I've ever taken a liking to. I still think they sound best generating all the dirt into a clean amp. The exception to this would be the Boost Mute which sounds great when you just need a little more into an amp that's already giving it up.

lv

Silver Supporting Member
I used a Bruno Cowtipper - worked very well. I'd suggest that if you buy an amp with a bright cap on the input, you'd want to be able to switch that out as Pete's pedals can do fuzztones at higher tone settings, but are very sweet and smooth at lower settings.

Surprisingly, the SS2 worked exceptionally well with an SLO.

Iggster

Not really the best advice concerning Pete Cornish pedals IMHO. Pete recommends a clean sounding amp which I have found to be the best advice actually.

I have the same PC pedals as you plus a Boost Mute. While they seem to work pretty well with my D13's and other amps, I think they actually sound best with a BF Bandmaster I have. I think the main reason is that this amp really doesn't start breaking up until it's pretty cranked (7 or 8). I think this is one of the reasons the Bandmaster isn't as popular as other BF Fenders that start breaking up at 3 or 4, but it makes it a great platform for the Cornish pedals. The higher the clean headroom available the better match for Pete's pedals I think. Probably why they work for Gilmour so well with a Hiwatt.

This took me some getting used to as I was more of the thinking mentioned by Rumblefish and Drifter preferring to use pedals to kick an already cooking amp in the ass. This didn't seem to work as well with the Cornish pedals and I actually like other OD pedals more with my D13's and Marshalls. These amps work better with pedals that just goose the sound of the amp a bit.

I'd recommend finding the most clean balanced sounding amp you can at the volume level you need.
Thanks for the input! I've been looking at a bruno UG30 for a while now, but I was trying to see if there is anything else out there.

Stressfest

The Cornish gear is engineered to work with pretty much anything. I've tried them with CAE, Boogie, Boger, Vox, Marshall, Bad Cat, Matchless and got stunning results with each.

NeilYoungFan

Silver Supporting Member
As stated before, a clean amp would do. I run mine through my Deluxe Reverb. Also heard of a very promising guitarist using them through Hiwatt heads:rotflmao.
That being said, it's hard to get a bad sound out of these pedals. The SS-3 through a cranked tweed deluxe gets me to the Neil Young solos territory I so much love.

Iggster

The Cornish gear is engineered to work with pretty much anything. I've tried them with CAE, Boogie, Boger, Vox, Marshall, Bad Cat, Matchless and got stunning results with each.
Currently, I'm running through a vox AC-30. (Hiwatt is, of course, a consideration) My Playing situation has changed a bit, and I need something with in a head and cab config, up in the range of 50 watts or so.

Iggster

Currently, I'm running through a vox AC-30. (Hiwatt is, of course, a consideration) My Playing situation has changed a bit, and I need something with in a head and cab config, up in the range of 50 watts or so.

Rock72

I ave used the SS-3 with good results with a 65 Amps Soho (not much headroom), a Bad cat Oanther (more headroom) and a Carol Ann Tucana (plenty of headroom).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom