Best Amp Head for Under $1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by qaiso, Feb 19, 2015.

1. qaiso

qaiso Member

Looking to buy a new amp head, something in the Marshall realm for under $1500. Decent cleans are a must, and need exceptional high gain. Looking at the Marshall JVM 205H, anyone else have any suggestions? Preferably 50 watts or so, do not need 100+ watts.

2. sleewell

sleewell Member

I got my fuchs viper for 1,000. really good cleans and the clean channel can also do great mid gain classic rock stuff. the high gain channel is awesome.

3. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

A lower gain marshall with a boost.

I just never got a long with the mega gain of the JVM. I much prefered the structure of more traditional gain levels (like a JCM800) with a boost.

4. lkft

lkft Member

Bogner Shiva. *Edit* Just read you need high gain...this would prob rule out the Shiva b/c I consider it to be a mid gain lead channel but it just may be enough for you to consider so if there are any in your area I suggest you try one out.

5. qaiso

qaiso Member

contrary to popular belief, I'd rather not have an amp that was beat on for 20+ years. Something new would be ideal, because I want this one to be the one i never sell!

6. qaiso

qaiso Member

high gain! I'm tired of buying overdrive/distortion pedals. Want an amp that can "do it all". The JVM has 6 channels of gain, that should be enough?

7. rummy

rummy Member

I went from 205H to Boogie Mark IV. I found mine for $1100.

EDIT: Nevermind. Didn't realize it had to be new.

8. qaiso

qaiso Member

preferably, but doesn't have to be new :aok

9. qaiso

qaiso Member

what did you think about the 205h? vs the mark?

10. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I was gonna say a Mesa Mark III. I'd buy a second as a backup or replacement. It might be 30 years old, but its a tank and will outlast anything in the same price range on the market.

11. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Carvin V3.. Switch out the Groove Tubes though.. unless you are a fan.

12. Faded

Faded Member

Mesa MkV:25

All day and twice on Sunday.

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Egnater Armageddon

14. rummy

rummy Member

I liked the 205H because it was so versatile feature-wise. It gave me the Marshall clean & the Marshall crunch sound. I was able to assign loop to different channels, and have the footswitch memorize them all. It was perfect on paper. But when I took it to gigs, it always came up sounding thin and very noisy. I tried a few different tubes and two different cabs, but it was still hissy and sounded just not thick enough.

Obviously, the Mark has the Mark sound. Naturally, it's just thicker and more lower-midrangey. As far as feature-versatility, I still prefer what the JVM did for me, but the Mark IV is 95% there with the switches. Sound wise, the mark could do just about everything for you, maybe except for the Marshall crunch. Some say it's difficult to dial in, but start with bass on 0, and you're good.

All and all, I'm happy with the Boogie. I made this change about 5 years ago, and haven't looked back. I still miss the Marshall sound, but I'm much happier with my Boogie overall.

15. mix2much

mix2much Member

EVH 5150 III 50 watt. Even at new prices, you'd have enough left over for the matching 2x12 cab as well.

16. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

The JVM is an excellent choice for your price range. It has midi control and it has all those channels you can play with.

If midi is never going to be a feature you will use, consider a Traynor YCS100H2. It does both the hotrodded marshall and recto thing really well. It has a lot of punch, DI out, serial and parallel loops, independent reverb and loop controls and it does power scaling. It even has individual boost and scoop controls per channel. It is really a very versatile amp. It is also cheaper than the JVM.

17. kbgear

kbgear Member

The Mark V 25 seems hugely popular, but it's EL-84. The Victory Countess is 6L6 or EL-34, if you prefer "big bottle" tubes, and could be an option. There's the Bogner Atma as well at ~$1,600.

18. qaiso

qaiso Member

surprised no one said Marshall DSL.

Is the DSL and JVM somewhat similar in gain structures?

19. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

20. Acid Test

Acid Test Supporting Member

+100