Best amp head under $800 for JM tones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ryanverbena, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ryanverbena

ryanverbena Member

Looking for a head to match my avatar 212 vintage cab. I already own an orange tiny terror which satisfies all my rockin needs with my les paul. Now after a relatively low wattage (50 and under) head that will dig nice clean/mild OD tones. I really like John Mayers tones, and i'm after 6l6/6v6 amp rather than an el84. Suggestions?

2. ryanverbena

ryanverbena Member

Doesnt have to be bang on 800 clams either, anything under is nice :)

3. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

JM wouldn't play Dumbles and Two Rock's if you could get his tone for under $800 bucks.

JM is reported to use a Fender Blues Jr. You could get a Blues Jr. and put it in a head cab.

I would also look at a Classic 30 head. Not because it is an amp that will get you JM tones, but its a great sounding head for low cash. It has a good clean and good dirty channel.

For JM tones I would suggest a few pedals on a clean platform, Ibanex TS-10, Keeley Katana, Zen Drive. Ditch the pick, and start practicing! Low output single coils.

dk

4. ryanverbena

ryanverbena Member

I'm not after his tone, sorry if this wasn't clear. I said i like JM's tone, don't wanna exactly copy it.

5. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

For clean tones a good Fender Super Reverb is getting damn close to it for me. I picked up a late 70's ultralinear version for dirt cheap. Threw some RCA blackplates at it and DAMN it sounds good.

Maybe I'm in the minority but, I've played a few blackface Supers and none of them have that same clean bounce that the higher powered ultralinear models do. Now for mild overdrive the BF ones rule the day, but for cleans.....

6. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

Don't spend all your budget on the amp. The Fender Blues Jr, Blues Deluxe, and Hot Rod Deluxe are all nice amps to use with pedals on a budget, and specifically, the Zendrive, Gain Stage Red, or Fuchs pedals will get you in the ballpark of that tone. An amp alone will not until you start spending the big bucks. If you want to stretch a little, go for a Ceriatone Overtone special at just about $1000 for the head and you'll be smokin'

7. XKnight

XKnight Member

Check out Gries and Frenzel amps. Both make fantastic 6V6/6L6 amps heads in your price range.

8. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Any fender style 6l6 amp will get you close enough for what you want. Look for an old fender black/silverface bassman head.