Best amp to use with a Pod X3 Live?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by taylorman22, Feb 28, 2009.

1. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

I'm looking for a decent amp to be used with my Pod X3 Live. I've been down the road of individual pedals, but sold them all to buy a Pod X3 Live. I've been after Lincoln Brewster's tone and finally found it with my Pod and Dimarzio pickups in my strat. What I'm looking for now is a decent amp to play the pod through both at home and at church. I've heard that a processor like a Pod sounds best through a SS amp. Is this correct, or should I be looking for a tube amp? If I buy a tube amp, I don't want anythign louder than a 15w.

I'd like to stay with a Fender amp because I do like the Fender clean tone and I would use that when not playing through the Pod. Should I just buy a Frontman series amp or maybe a used Princeton Chorus, or should I look at the Super Champ XD and Blues Jr. amps? I would consider a Vox AC15 I guess because I do like the Vox clean tone. I'm staying away from the Valvetronix line.

2. scott58

scott58 Member

I'm a/bing through a power mixer and a Valve Junior and love it. Most of the tone sounds best through the Vj, but i find stuff like the jc 120 models are best through the PA mixer. No need to look at the super champ the POD is superior to the modeling of the SC in my opinion and i agree the valvetronix is something to stay away from. I'd go in the direction of the Blues Junior for more wattage. I'm very interested in trying that amp and the Peavey Delta Blues with my gear. I think they would be good upgrades over my Vj.

edit: I should add that there are power amps such as the atomic that are made with POD's and other amp modelers in mind.Haven't been able to check one out in person however. If it's in your budget it may be worth a look.

3. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

Now that Fender has had their huge price increase, I'm probably gonna look at used. I'm not paying $400 for a Super Champ XD, or $600 for a Blues Jr. For $600, I'd buy an AC15.

4. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

Roland Jazz Chorus. Beautiful cleans that provide a perfect foundation for your XT live.

5. Twin63

Twin63 Member

I used a POD 2.0 for about 5 years, and more recently a POD XT Live, and always ran them through my Fender Stage 112SE. It’s a 100W solid state amp with a pretty nice clean channel (it’s been discontinued for some time now). I always ran the PODs through the “Power Amp In” jack, that way I bypassed the preamp (tone section) so there was less coloration from the amp. The sound was pretty good, but not as good as through headphones. IMO, modelers sound best going straight to the PA (full range speakers)…you can get by running to an amp but there are a lot more variables (amp EQ, speaker, etc.). If you’ve created some patches already while using headphones, chances are they will have to be tweaked again if you decide to go the amp route.

Also, one thing to remember regarding Lincoln Brewster - he runs his X3 Live straight to the board. He does have amps on stage (usually a Vox or Marshall), but they are used as monitors only. The tone everyone is hearing is POD > soundboard. Lincoln’s a great player and proves that you can get great tone from modelers / multifx ;).

6. shawnshack

shawnshack Member

back when I was using POD I ran it through an old fender princeton 112. It sounded great through it. I don't care for it through a tube amp...by that I mean the patches set up to be played when running direct. When I would work on tone at home I'd typically run it through my in-ears so I didn't get any eq or color from an amp.

7. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

When playing live, it'll be direct to the board and out of my amp just for me to hear. Today I found an older Princeton Chorus amp for $150. It has a great clean tone, real spring reverb, and a stereo chorus. It also has a mono and stereo effects loop. With the great clean tone and stereo effects loop, it would work well with the pod.

8. heretic

heretic Member

+1 on the JC-120. I use my X3L in church with one, and it suits me just right. I've taken my X3L on numerous fly-gigs where I was able to try it thru different tube amps, Fender Twin, Hot Rod, Mesa Lonestar, the newer AC30s...and while I can probably achieve a better feeling tone with a tube amp, it's just so inconsistent that I gave up trying. A JC-120 will give you no surprises. Add to that, no tube maintenance/replacement...also, if you play acoustic, it'll be a whole lot better thru a JC (although not as good as a full-range solution, obviously)

A few tips:
    -If you're gonna get a used JC-120, make sure it's less than 20yrs old! The older ones don't have an FX Loop, which is the ideal way to hook-up your X3L.

-JC-120s tend to be hissy. You can get rid of the hiss by zeroing all the knobs on the front.

-The loop has two levels, +4dB and-20dB. On the 20dB setting, this rig can get so loud, it'll blow your head off. But it adds hiss (although frankly, you only hear the hiss when the band is on break).

-Try putting an E-H Black Finger in between X3L and the amp. Leave it on all the time on a very low compression setting...adds a little bit of fairy-dust and warmness.

9. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Get a Crate Power Block for $100 or so, run the POD into the Power Block's Line In jack(s). You can run it mono or stereo. Speakers to suit.

10. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

No matter how I tweak it, it always sounds better through the PA than through my amp (even in the FX loop).

maybe try a keyboard amp or acoustic amp.

11. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

1! word!

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    tubes tubes tubes - try a little warmth with your fizz

These cheap modellers already sound cold, harsh, fizzzzy and have little dynamics. The POD's are one of the worst IMHO. Then throwing them into a cold, harsh, cheap SS amp makes them sound even cheaper IMHO.

The JC-120 is the best of em but is still no match for a decent 15w tube amp IMHO.