• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Best amp you have ever played with a blackguard tele.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Platinum Supporting Member
I know best is subjective. I know blackguard tele is really specific.

So lets say a classic tele.

I have mostly Marshall style amps. I know there are some great examples of tele into Marshall. (Andy Summers for the win)

So what have you found to be your best amp for a Tele.

I have one being built and finshing painting now. I am off on a search before even trying it with the amps I already own.

So humor me and give me what you like best.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
I am fine with SS or hybrid.

I already have a Flexi 50. A 100 watt plexi full stack. A Univalve. A Jaurenig custom amp built by Tim himself 2x12 4 el84s. Pro jr in a 1x12 pine cab. A fender musicmaster bass. (Great guitar amp)

Original black jubilee.

So what should be on my radar.

I am thinking super reverb.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Big Roy Buchanan fan and I am loving the idea of a vibrolux reverb.

Not sure what model he was using though.

I guess I gotta dig deeper.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
I have Don Mare 0038s on order so I should be able to get close. ( my hands and talent withstanding)

Big Roy Buchanan fan and I am loving the idea of a vibrolux reverb.

Not sure what model he was using though.

I guess I gotta dig deeper.

he used an early sf like mine. I'm not 100% sure if it was modded in any way. it's a winning combo for sure. it's funny because I have no aspiration to sound like Roy in any way and the music I play is very different but it sounds best to my ears with the treble and bass set to 10 and just backing off the bass a little if needed. I think Roy did this too. I sounds great and my tone is not Roy like imo and I haven't found a better setting.

that said a Brown face deluxe was a.real winner too. not sure which I like best tbh

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
This tele is one I am gonna try to make my main squeeze because it is made from 100 year old pine from a family barn that everyone played in all the way back to my grand dad when he helped build it as a little kid.

ripple

With Kung Fu Grip and Lifelike Hair
Gold Supporting Member
Like the example you cited GlassOnion, for me it's Tele + JTM-45.

The night I completed my JTM-45 build, I was so anxious to fire it up, and the only guitar I had downstairs was my Blackguard Tele. I must've played for a couple hours straight, completely lost in the pure, classic tones I was getting.

I even posted a thread about how impressed I was by Tele+JTM45 and wondered why were there not more notable/legendary players in rock history who used this specific rig. All kinds of rock flavors were available. Plus, it can do the sh*t out of classic Nashville/Bakersfield (especially w/ a decent reverb pedal), and covers funk with aplomb. Everything from crystalline spanky funk to darker, chorus-laden funk tones.

Can't comment on it's Jazz tonalities, because I'm the least accomplished Jazz player in the world, but I imagine it could do a decent Jazz fake, due to the abundant bass tones.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Amp I've played with a tele that I can remember...over the past few years I reckon:

Mark IV
Budda SD18
DR reissue
Redplate RP40
Mark V
Suhr Bella
Carr Skylark
Carr sportsman
Swart AST MKII

Swart wins it by a mile. The Bella is really close, then the Carrs, the boogies, the Budda, the dr, and the redplate, which I like the least.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I know best is subjective. I know blackguard tele is really specific.

So lets say a classic tele.

I have mostly Marshall style amps. I know there are some great examples of tele into Marshall. (Andy Summers for the win)

So what have you found to be your best amp for a Tele.

I have one being built and finshing painting now. I am off on a search before even trying it with the amps I already own.

So humor me and give me what you like best.
Easy - my JTM45's

Trending Topics

Top Bottom