Best Amps Under 500!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jeffrey827, Jun 26, 2008.

1. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

what are some good amps under 500?

2. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

i really like the epiphone valve jr. and the fender blues jr. both can be had for a few hundred bucks and sound pretty okay to my ears.

3. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

I just sold my Peavey Delta Blues 1X15 for $400.00. They are available at that price or less pretty often. A great amp for the $. The PV Classic 30 and 50 can be found for the same $ if you keep a look out. I was gonna replace the DB 15 with a Fended Super Champ XD which from all reports is a killer amp for the bucks, but, I got a great deal on a Tweed Deluxe clone and got it instead.

4. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

A quarter of a used Two Rock? Ok, no smart a$$ answers, I say the Fender Blues Jr. at ~$475, then spend another $30 on new EL84s.

5. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

SCXD or tweed NOS BJ (just over your budget). I have a Epi Vjr half stack and it just doesn't get much playing time. Sounded good at the store, but wasn't that great at home. I like my Valve-King much better, which is also in your price range, but if I had it all to do over again I'd get another SCXD (my first one bit the dust) or my favorite, the Tweed NOS BJ.

6. soulohio

soulohio Member

crate v16 or v32...i am playing don't fear the reaper on my v16 right now and channeling old buck...

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

For what kind of music?

Most of these amps will benifit from a speaker upgrade / tube upgrade.
    Blackheart, Valve Jr, Crate V Series, Peavey Windsor Studio or Head, Peavey Classics and Delta Blues, Fender Champ 600, Crate Palmino, Fender Blues Jr, Fender Pro Jr, Pignose G40, Kustoms, Vox AC15CC1.

Plus a lot more!

dk

8. PREDESTYNED

PREDESTYNED Member

sorry for hijacking this thread, but what is a good tube upgrade for the blues jr. and do i replace them all? blues jr. was my anmswer to the original question by the way!

9. shally

shally Member

i have one of those and the only problem is how loud and heavy the amp is..
    a great amp for the bucks, but it needs to be driven to sound good and that means it needs a pretty large venue or people are going to be moving back.
    also, in my old age, it is too heavy to lug anywhere
    prefer deluxe or princeton clones.. not the famous pricey ones.. you can find decent used no names on e bay if you work at it..

otherwise, i would tend to go blues jr...

10. traviswalk

TAD EL84s in my Blues Jr. were a big help, speaker change is next and will help but would go above your price range unless you buy the Jr. used.

11. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Blues Jr with better tubes! It's pretty easy to find a used one for around $300.

12. traviswalk

In addition to the EL84s, you can put some reissue Tung-Sol or Chinese 12AX7s in the pre-amp tubes if you want to do the full replacement, not that much incremental $$s and are a nice improvement IMHO.

13. improviduto

improviduto Member

I have two Blues Juniors and like them a lot. The black one has a Jensen P12N (no bell), and it was a remarkable improvement. It pretty much eliminated the "boxiness" that plagues players with humbucking guitars.

The tweed one has JJ EL84s, and it sounds pretty good. The tubes give it a noticeably fatter low end. However, I have a P12N and a pair of JJ 12AU7s coming (gonna swap out V1 and V3) for it. I hope the speaker will ease up the muddiness (just like it did on my other BJr.) and the 12AU7s will clean it up and warm it up a bit. I also shellacked the cab to make it look vintage.

14. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I used to have an Ampeg Jet reissue (the 20W version). The solid-state reverb and trem weren't so hot, but the overall tone of the amp was beautiful. It was particularly good for warm, jazzy clean tones. Very warm tones for EL84s, but I don't mean to say that it didn't have guts when required. The stock speaker was largely responsible for this, in my opinion, since I got very different sounds when I played it through a Celestion. Unfortunately the amp was recently discontinued, but there are lots of them floating around in great shape for way under $500.

15. opus

opus Member

well, you didn't say you required a speaker too did you? :)

i just got my orange tiny terror for $450..., very versatile depending on the music that you play..., i'm amazed so far at how well is does at both low and high volume...

16. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Super Champ XD
    Old Marshall 3203/4203
    Tech 21 TM60
    Pro Junior

Mike

17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

+1 on the Super Champ XD. Slap a Rajin Cajun speaker in it and it kills a Blues Jr.

18. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Last night I was at a blues jam. We were all playing through the provided Fender Cybers or Roland Cubes. I gotta tell ya'.....all of our tones were really really really nice. The best tone there was my acoustic through the cyber with just a little dirt (yes, I forgot about the jam and had to use an acoustic). It sounded like a Tele on steroids!

I was impressed.

19. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

Since you didnt say new or used..combo or head..one amp comes immediately to mind..if you look around enough you could snag Black Face Fender Bassman head for about that..hard to beat those amps for the money!

20. pluto

pluto Member

As everyone else has noted, the blues junior has always been a steal for a decent sounding tube amp. For solidstate, the tech 21 trademark amps are a good deal and sound great (I think the trademark 60 is about 500 bucks and the 30 is about 300 bucks).