best analog delay...?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Aint Life Hell?, May 15, 2006.

1. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

I love the sound of the Fulltone TTE, but can't stand up to the $1100 price tag, at least not now.
    Anyway, what pedal will get me in that territory? I was thinking about the following:
    MoogFooger Analog Delay
    Diamond Memory Lane
    Maxon AD999
    Any thoughts?
    Also, the EchoCzar (with the trimmings) and the Fulltone TTE are about comprable in price, what's the tonal difference?
    Best,
    MG

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

Short of the ECzar and the TTE, it's the Memory Lane for me. Tried all the others (a few new ones have come out since... but I tried a LOT of pedals) and the ML won, hands down every time.

3. Don L

Don L Member

I highly recommend Maxon AD-900.

4. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

I have a TTE and I think it is a fantastic tool. with that said however, I don't always want to take it out to the gigs. I have several different delays but the one that can pretty much nail the setting that I use with my TTE is the Deluxe memory Man.

5. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Depends on your application. I agree with Madsman, short of TTE or Czar, Memory Lane is by far the best I've ever heard. That being said, it has more features than I would need or use, especially in a live, onstage environment. I use mine more for texture. I usually set it one or two ways and then leave it alone for the night. For sound quality, simplicity, and ease of use, I vote for the Maxon AD-900, which is what I use. In fact, it's one of the only pedals that hasn't left my board in the three years I've had it! But, YMMV....

Best,

Doc :)

6. drolling

drolling Member

Analog delays are such peculiar beasts - You'd best try as many as you can to find the one that suits your needs.

I'm currently using 3 of them; Diamond MemoryLane, EH MemoryMan and a Jacques Prisoner.

The Diamond and the Prisoner are very quiet and hi-fi sounding, but the Prisoner's only got 300ms of delay time and doesn't self-oscillate.

The ElectroHarmonix pedal's the funkiest sounding of the 3 - but I mean that in the best possible sense. It's loaded w/personality. I had intended on retiring this one when I got the Diamond, but it's just too cool and unique to get rid of.

All three of these pedals have a modulation circuit that further sets them apart from each other. I don't use chorus, flange or phasing, but I can't seem to get enough modulated delay - it creates a real swampy atmosphere that sounds like nothing else. I'm hooked...

Been waiting about 10 months for an Echoczar/Angelbaby to add to the slowly growing collection..

7. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I haven't used the Maxon 999, but own the AD-9 as well as their Phase Tone and their Auto Filter.

First off, each of the three that I own are fantastic pedals. The AD-9 has a wonderful, musical quality and is by far my favorite delay; I have owned several digital and analogue, pedal and rack delays and it even beats my old Boss analogue pedal.

If the 999 sounds anything like the AD-9, combined with the added delay time, I think that you would like it.

8. iggs

iggs Member

"Best" is very subjective IMHO, but I love my Memory Lane, gorgeus sound and great options.

I always liked the Ibanez AD-99, wish I kept it and just put in a 3PDT for True Bypass.

9. righthandman

righthandman Member

I recently had the chance to A-B the Maxon AD9 and AD999. For me the 999 was head-and-shoulders above the 9. It's been mentioned here before but I definitely heard a volume drop when the 9 was kicked on. The 999 had no volume change and seemed to preserve the original signal better. I bought the 999 and my only regret is that I didn't get one sooner, I love it, it has solved the delay dilema for me.

10. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

the best i've tried are the ad900 and the deluxe memory man. i kept the memory man - it's just got so much soul and mojo!

11. Coach

Coach Senior Member

another vote for the memory man. it's very close to a tape echo.

12. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

13. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

That's interesting. I had noticed what I thought was a "perceived volume drop" at higher mix settings - I thought it was just because of the effect itself... Maybe it is an "actual volume drop"...

Although now I will have to buy a 999. You just blew another $ 300.00 for me! LOL

14. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

Yeah Memory Man, but I really like the green Line 6 too.

15. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Another + on the DMM. My first analog delay, and I'm totally pleased with it. Very warm and, as someone above described it, plenty of soul and mojo.

16. matchless1069

matchless1069 Member

Check out a Quicksilver from Black Box. It has some cool features that can simulate a bit of tape warble and the repeats can really stretch out and give that tape echo feel. I have a TTE and the one thing that cannot get simulated is the tube warmth. T-Rex Replica is also a pretty cool delay but I think the Quicksilver is the closest to tape echo feel.

17. JamesO

JamesO Member

The only one I've played is the memory man, and I liked it. What really attracts me to the memory lane is the feedback eq. You can adjust it dark through bright. That's really cool to me.

18. albuht813

albuht813 Member

You said in your post that you loved the sound of the TTE. My suggestion is that you've gotta get what you love. You'll end up always longing for the TTE and maybe wished that you could've waited.

If you don't have the cash or credit now, then just wait a bit longer. I just got the TTE a month ago and loving it! I don't have to tell you that it was worth the wait. Good luck!

19. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

also the loveliest 16dB of tube gain (echo switched out) that makes it a really expensive (if wonderful sounding) overdrive.
    yummy. puts many OD pedals to shame.

i don't know what Ur financial position is like and it ain't for me to tell U what to do...
    if it takes U X months to save to buy a Diamond MemoryLane, it'll take about as many months more to get the TTE at the street price of $950.00 (what i paid for mine months ago).
    have U thought about the chandler chandler digital stereo echo whatchamacallit? they are superb and can usually be found from $250-$400 on eBay.
    i know, i know. more choices - greater confusion.

20. SAVROHR

SAVROHR Member

definitely check out the homebrewelectronics "mimic"