Best Analog Flanger?

Nightbreed

Best? Easy...the Moog MF108M Cluster Flux. Two problems though 1) it's pretty expensive and 2) to own and store one, you'll probably have to build an addition onto your house.

The smaller Mini Moog Flanger is a good option too, as is the A/DA Flanger Reissue. The 4-knob MXR Flanger is killer for Van Halen and rock in general. I have a Boss BF-2 that I like a lot.

ZepFuzz05

Loved the MXR 117R that I used while recording my band's album. The following track features the MXR being fed glitchy loops and Fuzz Factory oscillations (. . .in addition to some normal guitar, too). Super fun!

Last edited:

slamcityjam

The ADA is great for a variety of flange tones but I used mine mostly for a watery chorus setting. Can also get really crazy. Super fun to put in the loop of a delay pedal and mess with the Enhance knob in real time.

It also has a threshold knob which really is a noise gate, so it can be super quiet. I owned the reissue and the PBF and I think the big box had a bit more mojo.

GaryMcT

Platinum Supporting Member
BF2 is pretty noisy. Sounds great though. The e lady flanger sounds great for the electric mistress/Andy Summers sort of thing. ADA Flangers sound great. My pbf one has developed a pop at one point in the range. Need to figure out what is going on there.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
My favorites that are not noisy:

Boss BF-2 MIJ (great and relatively cheap; own)
Moog MF-Flange (great and relatively cheap; own)
Mooger Clusterflux (great but big and expensive; own)
Donner Flange (EHX Electric Mistress clone - great and *super cheap*; own)
Strymon DECO (not a true flanger, not cheap in absolute terms but an amazing value given its total capabilities - chorus, flange, double-tracking, dirty boost; own)

The Boss BF-2 and MF-Flange are compelling values used. My BF-2 is absolutely *not* noisy (use isolated power supply).

I'm getting to know the Boss HF-2. My opinion is fluid per the HF-2. It's a great flanger but it may or may not be for me. So far I definitely prefer the BF-2 for what I do. The BF-2 can flange and do "chorusy-flange." The HF-2 is more of a pure flange (shorter available delay time vs. the BF-2).

The SCF flanger is quality (sold). I really like the SCF. If I could only have one chorus/flanger pedal this would be the one I would own. I like other flangers and chorus pedals more, however, and am willing to have two pedals.

I sold my EVH MXR and ADA PBF which were not nearly as quiet or toneful (imo - many many love them). If I could find an MXR for cheap I would own it again. I would like to have it for in-your-face post punk-type tones. [These fatigue my ears quickly though - specialty pedal for me.]

The Foxrox TZF2 is amazing. I sold it because of its cost/utility ratio vs. the above. If you love TZF it would be the one to get. It dominates the DECO for pure through zero-type tones and as indicated above it's straightforward to use.

I sold the Subdecay Blueshift which had lots of cool functions but was super noisy (and I can tolerate noise if the tone is outstanding).

GaryMcT

The Boss BF-2 and MF-Flange are compelling values used. My BF-2 is absolutely *not* noisy (use isolated power supply).

As another data point, my BF-2 is quite noisy with an isolated power supply. Sounds like the ocean coming in with some gain after it. Work fine for me though.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting - how do you set yours up? Mine can be "noisy" if you set the delay time low and the resonance high but that is true with most flangers.

I run mine pre-dirt into low through high gain pedals (e.g. Prunes and Custard), set my amp up warm, and hit it with P-90s/PAFs/singles/gold foils.

Mine is a black label MIJ variant that I picked up in great condition.

It is hugely less noisy than the Subdecay and less noisy than my memory of the MXR.

most analog flangers have some noise going on. my pick for a low-noise analog flanger would be the Boss HF-2, sounds lovely. I have the A/DA PBF and it can be noisy, but it can make crazy and fun sounds. i really love the guyatone FL-3 too, but it's even noisier. my personal favorite flanger is the mr black shepard's end, which sounds better than any other i've used, but i think it's digital. it's dead quiet tho, and doesn't sound at all 'digital' or harsh. i'm not an 'analog-only' type of player tho, i just like what sounds good.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of different flavors out there. For me, it’s these...no particular order:

MXR Micro Flanger (original with the SAD/Reticon)
Boss BF-2
Yamaha FL10-MII
Arion SFL-1

GaryMcT

Interesting - how do you set yours up? Mine can be "noisy" if you set the delay time low and the resonance high but that is true with most flangers.

I run mine pre-dirt into low through high gain pedals (e.g. Prunes and Custard), set my amp up warm, and hit it with P-90s/PAFs/singles/gold foils.

Mine is a black label MIJ variant that I picked up in great condition.

It is hugely less noisy than the Subdecay and less noisy than my memory of the MXR.

Manual and rate are depth are maxed. Rate is at noon and res is at min.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Gary - I'll test mine out at those settings and report back.

Edit/speculation: the high depth setting likely is the culprit for the noise.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
I did a quick test with your settings. While I hear the lfo sweeping, the noise floor is not materially elevated vs. that of the amp plus the assorted drive/fuzz pedals that I tested it with. “Noise” is only nominally louder with the BF-2 on.

“Noise-wise/LFO sweep sound” it’s comparable to a Bad Stone or Small Stone in my rig.

Muffdriver

Silver Supporting Member
My entire pedalboard is 100% analog because I've never liked digital stuff in my chain and definitely not in front of the amp. Even my reverb is the Carl Martin Headroom. I had an analog flanger on my board and I've tried a few.
I just got a Strymon Deco and absolutely couldn't be happier for flanger.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom