Best and Worst Amp for a Tele when playing rock and blues??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by G-delay, Feb 19, 2012.

1. G-delay

G-delay Member

What is your favorite amp for a telecaster? and why?

What in your opinion is the worst amp for a telecaster? and why?

I have fallen in love with tele's (have a '52 reissue hot rod and a '62 reissue) and I have a mesa boogie express 5:50. It sounds great with the '52 but hasn't bonded with the '62 (only had the '62 a week so I still have much more tweaking to do). But it just got me thinking about the above too questions.

I play rock (think ZZ Top, Rolling Stones) and blues (think Buddy Guy/Mike Bloomfield).

2. Ravindave_3600

Ravindave_3600 Member

I play blues-based stuff, too, but also a little alt country and harder rock, and for years a tele's been my #1.

Some guys here know I play through an '65 blackface Pro Reverb. In my opinion it's just about perfect:
    Loud enough for cleans, but can break up soooooooo sweetly
    Turn it up just a bit and it's got a big full, thick sound
    It's got a nice, organic sag that you could pay a lot of money trying to replicate in a modern amp (or a pedal).
    For want of a better word it has a presence about it I don't find in other amps.

The reverb is great, too.

3. dughaze

dughaze Member

There is no worst amp. A good Tele will play well with any good amp, doesn't matter if it's a clean amp or a hi gain amp.

4. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I,m more of a strat guy than a tele guy but I guess I tend to think of a Super Reverb or a Bassman as about the ideal tele amp among non-boutique offerings... for blues and blues/rock styles or maybe an AC30 for a more pop/indie direction.

I think teles in general sound a little thinner than I find ideal so if you're buying, I'd probably take a Dr Z Route 66 as my ideal tele amp.

Worst amp? That's kind of a weird question. You mean the absolute worst... like a Gorilla or a Holmes or something or the least good match among amps that are considered to be high quality, desirable amplifiers?

Among 'quality' gig-worthy amps, I'm going to go a near blasphemous route and say a Princeton. I know... I know... but again, I find teles are thinner-sounding than I prefer and I prefer amps with a bigger bottom end and a more percussive sound and the Princeton isn't the strongest in those areas.

You can roast me now... I'm even a huge Jim Campilongo fan. He would dismiss me.

:rotflmao

5. jrbanjo

jrbanjo Member

My Tele sounds awsome through my custom Vibrolux 2x10. It doesn't sound that great through my Hot Rod Deville 410 but my Strat sounds really nice on the HRD....go figure.

Both guitars sound really good on the old Silverface princeton.

I have Tele-Super Reverb envy.

6. G-delay

G-delay Member

I think Bill Frisell might disagree too. I beleive he uses a Princeton also. But yah it is kinda strange question (worst sounding amp) but I was just wondering if there are oil and water combinations that just don't work. I had heard before Mesa's weren't good with tele's but I had the opposite experience with the '52 hot rod.

7. axeplayer

axeplayer Member

My tele sounds great thru my Headstrong Lil King. My strat sounds better with my Chicago Blues Box. Neither sounded as good thru my original blues jr.

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Teles can sound thin and/or bright through the wrong amp. I think its easy to get a bit too much "ice pick" going on with Teles into some black face or silver faced Fenders, for example; particularly if you're playing loud and overdriven. Some of them can be too bright for a Tele.

I think Teles sound best into amps that compliment the Tele's personality, i.e., amps that produce a thicker, more midrangey sound. Among my faves are a number of Fender tweed amps, like the 5E3 Deluxe, the Harvard (2x6V6 tweed version), the Gibson GA-40 (which is a little bit dark, but very warm and lush with fantastic overdrive). Some Flot-a-tone models (A600T, GA700RT) and Supros (1624T) are just killer with Teles too. These are generally simple amps with a volume and a tone knob.

Here's a demo of my Tele into my own take on the Gibson GA-40.

And here it is into my 6G3 (brown) Fender Deluxe. Another killer Tele amp, IMO.

9. cratz2

cratz2 Member

LOVE your vids, man! You make almost everything sound great... esp right at that slightly dirty, edge of breakup point that so many of us love!

10. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

I will very much reccomend the Redplate amps, like the Blackverb, which I have, as near-perfect Tele amps. They run quite the gamut of classic Blackface tones and more, while also having a large range of tonal variations/possibilities. I find my tele, and ash body, to like a thicker midrange than most of my other guitars, and the BV can give me that while still allowing scope for either a more scooped BF tone or a tweed/dumble midrange push. It's a complicated amp for sure, that needs a little time to get to know, but it does hvae the most beautiful cleans and drive once you settle in with it, and it responds really well to single coils.

11. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Best: TWEED!

Worst: ???

12. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

best - Vox, Fender, Marshall

worst - Mesa Boogie, Roland Jazz Chorus

13. ethompson

ethompson Member

Matchless is the best amp I've heard a tele through! I dont know about worst.

14. dunara

dunara Member

Best: Selmer Zodiac Twin 30,
    Worst: Mesa Boogie MK 1

15. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

My personal hands-on experience
    Best: Blackface, Tweed or AC30. I actually like my Tele through a Marshall as well.
    Worst: Most SS Amps (except the Traynor TS-25)

16. epluribus

epluribus Member

Lessee, best...pretty much any amp that has "a" in the front, "p" in the back, and "m" in the middle, IMHO.

Worst...plugged into a headset jack one night, couldn't hear a thing. All the guys said it was the best I'd ever sounded, so YMMV. :huh

--Ray

17. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

My favourite amp lately has been my 62 white knob tremolux. At 35 watts i turn up to about 7 or so to cut through the bass and drums and it has the perfect amount of OD.

Teles seem to blend into the mix the best, not overpowering like a LP can be.

18. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

I don't know about best/worst, but I only play telecasters (these days) It took a while for me to find two amps that fit my needs. I have a Tungsten Crema Wheat, and a Suhr Badger 18 1x12.

Both amps sound great with a tele, and do anything I need. I think the more dynamic/touch sensitive the amp is, the better.

19. Telefrkd

Telefrkd Member

Awesome....I love tele's, and UPS is bringing my Badger 18 1x12 here in a matter of hours!!!!...
    Great thread!!

20. Miles

Miles Member

Totally disagree on Mesa Boogie. Even on the Roland you can get huge glassy cleans with a telecaster.

My teles through my Express 5:50 or even my old Dual Recs, Lonestar, or Blue Angel all sounded killer. Some great players would disagree as well -Jeff Buckley, Ed O'Brien, Kim Thayil, etc... who all ran vintage spec telecasters through Mesas and changed music.

Mesas - contrary to some people's beliefs actually have a decent amount of mids on tap, some have a ton. So, the inherent darker top end that many boogies have is PERFECT for taming potential high end of some telecasters.

I have a hell of a time finding an amp that just doesn't work with a decent tele.

I also am awestruck with some posters saying that strats sound thicker than teles. I feel just the opposite. Strat bridge pickups with the strings mounted into internal springs sound weedy and wimpy to my ears. Teles have growl and sustain since the strings are routed through the body of the instrument. There is a lot more resonance happening there.

I guess it's all in the ears, but I've never played an amp with telecasters (and I ONLY play telecasters these days) that just doesn't work with it. Some amps, you have to tame the highs and boost the mids, but they still end up working just fine.