• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

best auto wah

soulohio

i dig wahs but just don't like messing with the treadle
any great auto wahs?
something that you can play with the interaction?

zztomato

It depends on what kind of wah sound you are after. The Snow White is voiced like a conventional wah and only goes in one direction -dark to bright. For a Mutron style, there is the Mutron -of course- and a few others. I like the Emma and have gone back and forth between the SWAH and the Emma for a few years now. The Emma or Mutron is more synth-like.

charmonder

The Snow White is voiced like a conventional wah and only goes in one direction -dark to bright.
Good point, I just wanted to add to the conversation that I for one absolutely love the sound of envelope filter that goes in the other direction bright to dark! I remember "chewy" used to be a buzz word around here, down sweeping envlopefilter is the chewiest

Hallogallo

Gig-FX Mega-Wah.
Optical.
Super clean sounding.

It's a (non spring) Wah pedal with two different voicings, an auto-wah, and a trig-wah.
Stereo and mono in/outs.

When being used in stereo there is a setting that makes the left channel sweep the opposite direction of the right.

grego7

has left the building
Platinum Supporting Member
Probably not the best, but I'm digging the Mooer @wah I just picked up for ~$50. Has that cool vocal thing going on with the "Talk" setting

Suarkttam

Silver Supporting Member
I have to say...the auto-wah / envelope is my absolute favorite effect...and I've gone through many:

MXR Auto-Q
Subdecay Proteus
3 Leaf Proton
Malekko E. Filter
Emma Discombobulator
Mad Professor Snow White
EHX Q-Tron

But, I recently got the Function F(X) Accufunkture...and I am absolutely in love. It does all the clean envelope stiff you'd ever want...but, I've yet to meet a filter that played as well with dirt.

Believe it or not but IMO the best auto wah is an envelope phaser. Many envelope filters tend to warble and flutter as the guitar volume fades out. Especially with chords. A phaser does not have this drawback, I guess because it works differently being a time based effect and all.

There aren't that many envelope phasers around but I was lucky enough to score a Toadworks Phantasm (unfortunately discontinued). Yeah, I also praised this pedal in my other post but just listen to this!

4b454e

Platinum Supporting Member
Source Audio Stingray, tons of filter options (including a phaser ;) ) lots of parameter control, and two presets on-board

FuzzyAce

Gold Supporting Member
I use a voodoo lab wahzoo for auto wah settings. It has a step wah too if you want a more syncopated sound.

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
Probably not the best, but I'm digging the Mooer @wah I just picked up for ~$50. Has that cool vocal thing going on with the "Talk" setting

I'm not surprised there's a member named "wah" here... What is surprising is that the name was only taken last year

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
The old Guyatone WR3. I gave mine to my nephew in a fit of something. Got it in my head it messed with my sound when off but I don't even care that much these days. Now I find they are money!! Replaced it with a WRm5 which is cool but doesn't sound as good. While I have gone back to using my Budwah for the two or three wah tunes we do, I keep a Snow White around in case I go full on funk again. Gets me in the ballpark of the WR3.

hunter

Just realized this is one of those "best" threads. Best is BS. Just find something that works for you.

Trending Topics