Best B3, Rhodes, Synth, Piano in One Keyboard

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Dougee, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Dougee

Dougee Silver Supporting Member

Need to find an all in one keyboard with the Best B3, Rhodes, Synth & Piano sounds!!
    If no such thing what about separate keyboards, Kawai MP11, Hammond SK1, Roland Jupiter-80, Yamaha Montage, Yamaha CP4, Korg Kronos, etc.

Need for Home Studio, and Live Stage!!

I saw a YouTube video withe the PianoManChuck playing a Kawai MP11 with a Synth Box on top of it with just about all the sounds I'm looking for so would one of those type Boxes with one of the keyboards I mentioned would work pretty good??

Please Reply and Thank You Very Much for your Expertise!!!

2. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

I'll be watching this as well since I love the B-3 but know there is no way I can ever have one unless I win a lottery (not just for the keyboard and speaker but for the larger house I'd need to put it in)

3. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

Nord makes very amazing keyboards. Very convincing B3, Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinet, and Acoustic Piano sounds. I own an Electro which is quite excellent for these vintage keyboard sounds. I do not have 1st hand experience with their synthesizers, but their recordings are fantastic IMO.

I use a Roland Fantom for synth sounds. IMO its Rhodes, synth, and Piano sounds are quite good, but their B3 sounds are very poor compared to the Nord.

Madsen, Prof.Fuzz, hucklebee and 2 others like this.
  4. Devnor

Devnor Member

Kronos is still the top of the heap. It does everything the OP wants and more. Some issues though...LCD screen has tiny fonts and the build quality could be better. I would suggest Jupiter 80 but the organs are its weakest point. Some aliasing with the VA synth in the higher registers.

5. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

People seem to go nuts for the Nords. I've shared others' on a few bills and they seem really nice. I'm an easy customer though - for these shows usually all I want or need is a good B3 sound (which is why I tend to use another band's keyboard for these kinds of shows), and I'm usually playing with a band that's so loud and noisy I can't even hear if it's an accurate representation or not.

toddincharlotte likes this.
  6. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Agreed. Your solution for that combination would likely be a Nord.

7. Dougee

What keyboards that I mentioned in the beginning of this thread would sound very convincing on the following songs:

Owner of a Lonely Heart-Yes
    Yes - Roundabout
    ELP - "Lucky Man"
    From The Beginning-Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    Fly Like an Eagle" by Steve Miller Band
    Light My Fire...Doors
    Jessica...Allman Bros
    Toto's "Rosanna"
    Toto-Africa
    Boston's "Foreplay"
    Sugarloaf's "Green Eyed Lady",
    Boston's "Smokin"
    Van Halen - Jump
    Stevie Wonder's "Superstition".
    "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" by Procal Harum
    Heart- "Magic Man"
    Green Onions- Booker T and the MGs
    "Take Me to the Pilot" by Elton
    Argent, Hold your head up
    Head East - Never Been Any Reason
    Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride/Born To Be Wild
    "Frankenstein" Edgar Winter
    The Way It Is- by Bruce Hornsby
    Since I've Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin
    Feelin' Alright - Joe Cocker
    Oye Como Va - Santana
    Hush - Deep Purple
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd
    Won't Get Fooled Again-The Who
    Who Are You-The Who
    Highway Star...Deep Purple
    Delta Lady...Joe Cocker
    Meatloaf's "Bat out of Hell"
    Iron Butterfly – In A Gadda Da Vida
    Toto – Hold The Line
    Journey – Separate Ways
    Styx – Come Sail Away
    The House of the Rising Sun-The Animals
    You Keep Me Hangin’ On’-Vanilla Fudge
    ‘Gimme Some Lovin’’-The Spencer Davis Group
    Walk of life - Dire Straits
    Sweet dreams - Eurythmics
    The power of love - Huey Lewis and The News
    Fresh Air - Quicksilver Messenger Service
    So Into You - Atlanta Rhythm Section
    Don't Stop Believing - Journey
    Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
    Santana – Evil Ways
    The Zombies – Time Of The Season
    Steely Dan - Do It Again
    Good Lovin' - Young Rascals
    These Eyes - Guess Who
    96 Tears - Question Mark & the Mysterions
    Reelin' In The Years - Steely Dan
    Carry on my wayward son.......Kansas
    "Don't dream it's over"-Crowded House
    Silent Running-Mike & The Mechanics
    Kid Charlemagne-Steely Dan

8. scienceguy

scienceguy Silver Supporting Member

Nord Stage 2 SW73. Worth every penny.

9. RyanM

RyanM Member

Yes, Nord Stage if you just want high quality, basic bread and butter sounds.
    Nord Electro if you don't need the synth.

If you want "workstation" capabilities like sequencer, drum machine, etc. look at the Korg Kronos, Yamaha Motif (now called Montage).
    Their basic sounds are just as good as the Nords. Korg and Yamaha also make budget versions (Krome, MOXF) if that's an issue.

There's also Roland, but I think they would be better for more synth oriented stuff.

10. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

damn, that's one hell of a set list. Where are you playing next? :D

whew. That's pretty ambitious. If you know the guitar parts to all that stuff, I'd like to jam with you. Hell, I'd play bass to be in a band that played that.

11. stevel

stevel Member

The real question is, do you need 88 keys, do they need to be weighted, and how much can you spend?

I got "convincing" sounds with an old Roland Sound Canvas Module (which were actually very good).

I got the Tom Sawyer thing out of an old Roland D-5 and couldn't find anything to suit on my new FA06 - had to create something from scratch but still liked the older D5 better!

For "Come Sail Away" I played the intro piano part, then the sweep part under it on two separate keyboards - the lead singer also played a keytar (I kid you not) and did the "lead lines" in it.

I found for many songs like that, live, it was necessary to have two keyboards (I used a controller and the Sound Canvas, and the D5 then later the FA06).

Just switching between the Piano and Organ sounds in "Carry On Wayward Son" - I didn't physically have time to push a button to change a sound. It was far easier just to shift from one keyboard to the next.

What I might consider if I were you is one Synth that does all the sound, then a 2nd controller keyboard that you can use to play other sounds on a 2nd MIDI channel so you can pre-set sounds on one board (such as Piano) and do the other sounds that change a lot on the other - that way you can always go back to Piano on the lower keyboard or something like that (obviously it may need to change, but it makes having to switch between a lot of sounds easier than trying to do it on the panel all the time).

If the Montage is what the Motif used to be, those are stellar sounds. They're "good enough" IMHO (and the Motif is on tons of recordings).

If you're really picky about B3, or want to do a lot of drawbar work live, you'd be better off with the Nord (there are ways to set up controller sliders for drawbars or in some cases, do them on a touch screen but that drives up the price as well).

In the end it's kind of like guitar tones though - I did some of the stuff you do and as long as the sound was "in the ballpark" the audience ate it up. But I used the same sound for Jump that I did for the synth in Separate Ways.

I found one Electric Piano that worked for most everything and used that pretty much for almost everything - I used a different one on the opening of "Time" which had a more "bell-y" sound, but for for a lot of the others, like Misty Mountain Hop I wanted something with a little growl in it (come to think of it, I did use a different one for Stairway to Heaven as well). The Piano was always the same piano no matter what :)

Organs and synths tended to be the most changed sounds - but again I kind of settled in on some "main" ones that I used "multi-purpose".

So how much do you want to spend, and do you need a "real piano feel" to play piano parts - some people do (and I wish I had it, and 88 keys for Bohemian Rhapsody).

But there are more than enough organ patches to find something you want for all your sounds.

12. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

Korg CX3 is good if you want Drawbars.
    Nord is pretty much the live standard these days for do it all.

13. sven karma

sven karma Member

I have the Hammond SK-1. Tops for Hammond, Vox, Farfisa, has a nice Rhodes, also Wurlitzer and clavinet. Organ sounds much better than those on Hammond XM-1 module I had before that.

Had a Nord electro2 before them. Didn't really like the sounds, to me they seemed a bit brittle and plastic.

The SK-1 is not without flaws. The OS is stupid. But it's a Hammond. Makes you feel king of the stage.

Gibby60 and p19978 like this.
  14. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Another vote for Nord. I play a Nord Electro 3 that can do all that the OP is looking for. I do run the B3 thru a Neo Vent, but the Nord Leslie simulator is pretty decent.

15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Two questions:
    1. How old is everyone in your band?
    2. Does this music from decades ago really work in 2016?

I don't mean to sound judgmental, because there are a lot of great songs on the list.....I'm just curious......

16. Dougee

LOL, Yeah 2HBStrat, I'm 68 and the other guys are in their 60's too!!
    I just have all of those Great Sounds of those Songs Embedded in my Brain and I love all of them!!
    I'm just trying to find a Great Keyboard or combination to get all of those sounds!!
    Don't get me wrong, I Do like some of today's sounds but still Love the Old Sounds!!

InkStained and 71strat like this.
  17. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

like I said, y'all can come up here and play for us old farts, we'd love a show with that stuff. As long as you start early and don't play into the wee hours of the morning.

this ain't the age of playing until sunrise at Fillmore West no more:JAM:hide:rotflmao

18. Dougee

I'm just looking for a Keyboard that when I want a Horn Section, or String Section, B3 Organ, and Electric and Acoustic Pianos, and some Synthesizer Sounds, When I hit that Key, I want it to sound Exactly like the sounds I mentioned, not Cheesey, Toy, Almost, etc., But Exactly!!!

I'm Leaning Towards the Korg Kronos 2 with added Sound Libraries right now from what I've heard on youtube, But if Anybody has Better Options then I'm All Ears and Very Appreciative for Your Expertise!!!

Steve Hotra likes this.
  19. Keytar

Keytar Member

Ever consider using the keyboard as a midi controller and play soft synths? I use a Kurzweil PC3 which has a good compromise Keybed for organ or piano and play pianoteq, B4 and zebra out of the computer with the PC3 sounds available when needed. The Nord would be a much simpler setup but also a lot more dollars.

mleffler likes this.
  20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

You are wanting the keyboard equivalent of a Line 6 Modeling Guitar with a modeling amplifier, and NO guitar player wants those......:cool::D