best band for buck new production 12AX7?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JDW3, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    I always buy from someone that tests the living daylights out of them before they send them to me. They handle the rejects, and you pay a couple of dollors more. This is lots cheaper than taking a reject on the chin.

Lord Valve or Doug's Tubes have always done me right. Mike at KCA is super too, from what I hear. I haven't bought anything there (yet).

Slick51

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

I just put a trio of Tung Sols in my Hayseed, and I like them a lot. Nice gain, without being too fizzy. I have a pair of the GT "Mullard" reissues. They sounded okay, but both went microphonic on me very quickly. Too bad.

3. gearo999

gearo999 Member

As you can see, try several and find what you like :^)

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I really really really wanted the GT M's to be good tubes. I had my hopes up and was gonna pile em up.

If you use them long enuff they go to making racket (motorboating). I've tried em from different batches and got the same result. After listing to folks say (many different times) that they are working on it and gonna fix it I came realise that was hogwash. The last set I bought are the same as the first set I bought.

That coupled with the Less Than Forthrightness coming from those guys about whats made where and letting folks make a leap of mistakeness and just letting it go on knowing folks are missled. No more of the Beaz's money goes in that direction. No More.

The Tungsols are good I had some that were better than others but the good ones were really good.

I like the JJ's best of all but just got a set of the 803's to try out havent put em in yet.

My real Mullards are the best so far though by any standard.

5. dave_fisher

dave_fisher Silver Supporting Member

I bought a reissue Tungsol and reissue GT mullard 12AX7's last week. I've been messing around for awhile with them in my Fuchs ODS30, and really like the Tungsol. I need more time to try out the GT before I can speak to it's impact on the tone, and the family is off (at home) for the Christmas break... Hard to crank it up in a houseful of people! The GT seemed darker than the Tungsol at first blush.

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Didn't GT acknowledge metallurgical 'issues' with the GTMs?

Can't imagine why anyone would even try them anymore....... :(

jon

7. thintele

thintele Member

+1 some tubes work better in some circuits than others... and even in in different positions in the same amp...grab a handful and experiment...you'll find something you like

8. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

The new Tung-Sols really are nice. I agree with the concensus. They may be the best production 12AX7 that's come along in quite some time.

Today, I played a 50-W TDS with Tung-sols in all positions, TAD 6L6 power tubes (shorties) and Steve K's new Thorn hollow body trem, and man, I'm still dumbfounded at how awesome it sounded. Warm yet articulate, organic, reasonably quiet, and so far, no fallouts on the burn rack.

JJ's OTOH either die on the burn rack, or pass a burn and don't light in the field after being shipped. Not fun.

The Tung-sols are consistent, when microphonic (rarely) are only a little bit microphonic, and reasonably low noise. I tested a dozen and only two couldn't be used acceptably in the first position of any of our amps.

Good going New Sensor !