Best Bang/Buck Blues Junior mod?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bryan29, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Bryan29

Bryan29 Supporting Member

I'm trying to tame a bit of the brightness of my Blues Junior (version II) and I want to know which one will give me the most noticeable difference for the money.

I'm not doing any sort of soldering and I'm not sending it off anywhere. Pretty much drop in help is what I want.

So it's either.

Tubes
    Speaker
    Output transformer

Opinions? Any and all experiences would be greatly appreciated.

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Sell it and get a good sounding amp would be the best improvement for the money.

3. Gearaddict

Gearaddict Member

agreed - if you don't like the amp to begin with - look elsewhere. Mods aint cheap. You can experiemnt with tubes but that aint cheap either if you have to re-bias.

4. VJF

VJF Member

Speaker would make the most noticeable difference. An Eminence Cannabis Rex will tame highs but may be too dark for you.

5. laughingsam

laughingsam Member

speaker
    tubes

and i know you said no soldering, but if you know anyone who can, the tone stack mod costs nothing to do and the hardest part is getting the board out. a single, half inch piece of wire connecting two adjacent spots and it's done. made a world of difference to mine...

6. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

I'd agree with the previously stated Cannibus Rex suggestion. And I'd disagree with GCDEF in saying Blues Juniors aren't good sounding amps.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

It's amazing how many people seem to feel the need to mod them though. For the cost of the amp and the cost of the mods, there are lots of alternatives, especially given that you don't know for sure that the mods will help.

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Speaker swap. Try a cannabis rex.

9. aflynt

aflynt Member

Swap some different brand 12AX7s for the V1 tube first, then if that doesn't work try a different speaker. The OT isn't going to tame brightness. It'll just tighten up the bass. It may actually increase perceived brightness.

As for speakers, is the one you have in there now completely broken in? If not, then give it a few days playing some R&B from an old stereo receiver or something first. If you get a new speaker to replace it with, do the same before you pass judgement.

Good luck. I went through tons of stuff get get mine sounding right, and while in the end it was passable, I wound up selling it and just using my Pro Jr. for low volume jobs instead.

-Aaron

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

JJ tubes and a Eminenence Cannabis Rex speaker

11. Bryan29

This seems to be the popular choice.

12. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

one limitation of blues junior imho are the cabinet size, i wish its a little bit oversize, and maybe the materials of the woods used for the cabinet not plywood, but solid pine or birch. I used to owned one, no matter what mod i did to the amp, it only improved them a little bit, i end up upgrading to a 5e3 and can't be happier. The blues junior sounds very Boxy to me.

although it's a surprisingly great harp amp, with a 12au7 in v1, go figures.

13. bluesmann8

bluesmann8 Senior Member

Most of your tone/no tone comes from your output transformer. You'll get better all around tone with a good transformer upgrade. mercury magnetics has one just for your BJ. its plug in clips and play too.

JJ tubes from Dougs tubes

have to add the C rex as well. Its a very efficent speaker 102 db sens. hemp makes for a good cone.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  14. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I've owned one (will own another sometime) and have played a bunch. Never felt the need to do more than a tube swap yet, although a speaker swap may be in order. The thing is at this point I've owned about a dozen amps that range in price from $50 to $1550. Most of them were close to the high end of that range. There wasn't one in the bunch that I didn't change or (wish I could change) some of the components.

Now I agree if you don't like the basic sound of something you shouldn't buy it and throw a bunch of mods into it hoping it will fix the problem. Modifications should be to used to get something you already like to be perfect for you, like it was designed with you in mind. If that isn't what is going on with the Blues Jr. then yeah people should look elsewhere. For my needs and ears I think it's a great amp.

15. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I agree with the first few posts. The best mod for the Blues Jr. is to dump it and get a different amp.

16. mc2

mc2 Member

Been there done that. Sell it and buy something you like. Don't chase blues Jrs down the rabbit hole. It's a decent amp but difficult to improve significantly.

17. Bryan29

That's just it. I'm not looking for significant improvements. It really is a terrific amp, at least for my ears. I just want to tame a bit of the brightness or harshness that it has.

I'm not pumping tons of money into it. If I do I'll just get a Twin or Deluxe and be done with it. I just figure that I could put $100 or so into it (I only paid $200 for mine) and make it exactly what I wanted then I'd be happy.

I think that might be why so many people mod this amp is that it's soooo close to being perfect that they chase it more than most other amps.

18. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I like my blues Jr. stock.

19. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

:agree :hide

20. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I upgraded my Blues Jr III cab to much larger cab its the size of a Hot Rod Deluxe its a solid pine cab and various circuit mods.. it definitely helps!

[​IMG]