Best bang for a cheap LP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chrisjnyc, Apr 2, 2020.

1. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Might have to move for a few weeks... not sure if I have room to bring my Gibson Trad Pro. What would be a decent LP copy? I was looking at a 2020 Epi LP classic worn, or a Firefly... what else is in the under $300 range

2. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

The regular epis have come a very long way. Bang for the buck they can't be beat. Here is one I owned...completely stock, straight into the amp...no pedals with a tiled room. Paid 300 for it used.

3. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

Used LTDs are amazing as far as value goes. Great single cut guitars with nice features. Play and sound great too. New as well but you’ll obviously get more for your money used.

4. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

Agreed with the LTDs. They’re really solid for their price.

sitedrifter and HoboMan like this.
  5. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

In that price range I'd go right to a Harley Benton single cut. I don't think anything else under $300 will come close. I don't have one of their single cuts, but my CST-24T was about $200 and it's as nice or nicer than any of my $400-600 guitars. I sold my Schecter C1 Standard because the Harley Benton did everything the Schecter did, but did it all better.

It's theorized (mostly because of body shape I assume) that the single cut Harley Bentons are made in the same place as the Vintage V100 guitars. My V100 is my favorite guitar, and I got rid of my Epi LP because the Vintage was much better in all regards. If the Harley Bentons are similar to the V100s, then they're going to be a great guitar for the money.

Dr. Zorlac likes this.
  6. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

My LTD EC1000 is one of my main gigging guitars. It gets gigged way more than any of my four Gibson Les Pauls.
    If you get one of these as a backup you may find yourself using it more than your Gibson.

[​IMG]

7. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

Nothing at all wrong with an Epi. The other guitar player in one of my bands plays a PRS, a Strat and an 80s SG, but he had this Epiphone LP lying around that he never played because the pickups squealed. I replaced them with a Slash set for him. That guitar smokes. And it plays really nice too.

Mr. Crow likes this.
  8. chrisjnyc

Looks like a sweet guitar, but the LTD EC1000 is $1000... not really in my price range

HoboMan likes this.
  9. chrisjnyc

Yea, I was thinking of HB, as they are about $100 new. Is Thomann still shipping right away? I see they closed the Germany store 2 weeks ago. Also, they raised the shipping to $49

10. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Agile
    Epiphone
    ESP
    Wolf

Agile, you could go new. They are hard to beat even at way over $300.00. All the rest, you would have to go used. I would take a look at Reverb. Put in a price or $200.00-400.00 and see what you can come up with. I say $400.00 as tops because you can make a lower offer than what is asked.

TVvoodoo likes this.
  11. chrisjnyc

Yea, my friend replaced the tuners, pots, and pickups on his EPI... and it sounds great, but I would prefer not gut a brand new Epi

12. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Wasn't aware of the new price. I bought mine for $525 (still over your budget) but I've seen them for $400 & less on the used market.

Good luck on your search.

13. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

I like the Vintage Icon series. Good hardware and decent pickups.

Bodhisattva and pelle31 like this.
  14. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

Sounds great !!

BadAssBill likes this.
  15. Fishermike

Fishermike Member

If you don't have room to bring it with you, why wouldn't you just ship it to your new location? Gonna be cheaper than taking a beating selling it in the current market and then buying a new, lower-budget version. They both take up the same space once you're there, right?

burner, Robotechnology and babbyb like this.
  16. Kreso

Kreso Member

17. WhiskeyWhiskers

WhiskeyWhiskers Member

I'd figure out a way to bring that baby with me.

18. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

I wasn't aware that they raised their shipping cost. That's unfortunate, but if you buy a ton of crap, it's still a deal! When I bought my CST-24T, I also bought one of their 1x12 cabinets.

As for the guitars, the ones I would look at are the SC-450s and the SC-550s. That 550 Paradise Amber flame... :eeks
    [​IMG]

larry1096 likes this.
  19. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

Definitely, if the OP can find one in his price range. My V100PGM is an outstanding guitar. I kicked my Epi LP to the curb when I bought my V100, and the Epi had been my previous favorite guitar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. babadethkat

babadethkat Member

Ltd ec256 (Even better a 400 series) or Vintage V100 for the win

pelle31 and Surgeon like this.