Best bang for buck electric for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doc, Oct 20, 2008.

1. doc

doc Member

One of my coworkers asked about getting an electric and amp for her husband who's never played before but wants to start. She's looking at the Fender Squier pack with the Frontman and Affinity Strat. I recommended the Peavey Vypyr amp at $99 without hesitation (although I plan to check MF to see if they have any of the small Crate tube amps left), but other than vague advice to stick with a Les Paul or Tele copy I don't know what the best thing is at the bottom of the market right now. Any standout values?

2. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

3. Julia343

Julia343 Member

There's a Fender Squier Telecaster I played recently that came with Duncan Designed pups. It's cheap like in the under $300 range, and it actually sounds and plays quite nice.

4. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Agiles, Jay Tursers, some of the Squier line, anything from Peavey...

The problem today is that there are entirely too many good playing guitars out there for under $500. It makes it hard to choose.

5. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Just watch out for the "all in one" boxes that have a guitar and amp together. Those are truly the lowest of the low end and can be spectacularly poor construction guitars.

It really depends on his budget. You can get a Squier Affinity strat or tele for about $170. A small amp shouldn't cost more than $100. Lower end Epiphones are between $200 and $300. The cheapest Ibanez's (stay away from Gio's) are about $300.

6. 5E3

5E3 Member

The Squire Classic Vibe Tele has been getting a lot of praise. I believe it's $299.

7. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

8. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Member

+1 on the Classic Vibes. Whether Telecaster, 50s or 60s Strat, or DuoSonic - all of 'em are getting rave reviews; the general opinion seems to be that they are the equal or betters of Fender label products in the $1000 range.

9. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

I started on a Hondo II Les Paul copy. Red, Gibby diamond in the head stock and plastic "mop" inlays. Played it thru some little amp with 4 inch speaker. ****** guitar with horrible action and a farted out tone that sounded like a busted radio. God I thought I was in heaven. If he really wants to learn, he won't care what it is.

To add to what's been said: Jimmy Vaughan strats are good guitars on the cheap used too.

10. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Let me save you a lot of money in the long run by giving a little lecture on equipment:

Always buy whatever has the highest resale. This is because musicians are all essentially losers (myself included) and you will eventually have to sell whatever you get for money to live on.

So go on eBay or to your local shop and get anything used that holds it's value. Squire Strats do the best. If you spend a little extra for a Highway 1 or something like that you can always sell it. Also, always buy used. New is for people with day jobs.

For the amp, a used Cube 60 rules. Yeah, it's COSM but it sounds like a real amp, they're cheap used and they hold their value at resale. See, now wasn't that easy. If you're really strapped, get a used Micro Cube.

11. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Member

12. Spudman

Spudman Member

13. doc

doc Member

Thanks for all the responses. Some of those Rondos look like they would be a good choice for her.

14. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

At the end of your post you ask " Any standout values?"

If you go through www.live.com and buy one of the new Squier Classic Vibe guitars right this moment they are giving 30% cashback. I just picked up a CV 50's Strat that will end up costing $209 shipped after I get my cashback.

Now that is an outstanding value. These are really great guitars.

15. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

What about the imported Hamer stuff?

16. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Just picked one up. Could not agree more.