Best bang for buck Gibson SG

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dupedd, Aug 28, 2006.

1. dupedd

dupedd Member

A friend of mine is looking to start playing guitar and came to me to see what/where to look. He seems pretty set on a SG kind of guitar and is looking to spend $500-$1000 or so. I shold mention that it being a Gibson doesn't seem to matter to him.
    Also I'll mention, he particularly likes just the looks of the SG, the horns. He says, it'd be cool to get one with a headstock that has horns too...Only Dean's come to mind, but I don't think they have an SG looker.
    I also checked out the Agile Valkyrie. I've never tried an Agile but I always hear good stuff about them.
    What do you guys reccommend?
    Thanks!

2. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

The SG Classic. The best bang for the buck. It's at the top end of your friends price range, but it is worth every penny.

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I would take my Guild S-100 over any Gibson (I've owned two SG Standards, an SG Special, and an LP Premium Plus). It's got a fast neck, two duncans, and a coil splitter.

use you can find a guild for $650ish.

4. Joe M

Joe M Member

+1 for the Classic. There's one for sale right now in the Emporium for a good price....(I have no connection with the seller), just a head's up....

5. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

The Gibson SG Standard is by far the best guitar for the money out there. If you go to the right place you can get one of Gibsons tradmark guitars wich tons of great music has been performed on for under a gran. They have fluctuated in price a bit over the last year and a half but the last price I got was about $950.00 or so for an ebony one.

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I bought a new Cherry Red SG Standard earlier this year. Fab guitar, and straight off the rack, no Custom Shop. The Cherry is a little over your friend's range, but it's prettier than the Black IMHO. Tell your friend to skip lunch for a couple days every month, and he could afford it!

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

+1 for the SG Classic. It's a very nice guitar for the money and can easily be improved as you grow with good tonecaps, 50's wiring and Lollar P-90's.

8. dupedd

dupedd Member

So whats the difference between the classic and the standard besides the p90 option I'm seeing with the classics? Is one supposed the be a better quality guitar than the other? There's some 70's Guild s100's I was looking at on ebay that seem cool too.
    How about a good forum to point him too. I found everythingsg.com (or something like that)
    Thanks y'all

9. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

+1000 for the Classic!

In theory, there *shouldn't* be any difference between the Classic and the Standard other than the pickups, but every Classic I've played has been superb, and every Standard just okay. The Standard is not a bad guitar, but the Classic just seems to have something extra. It's one of the few off-the-rack production guitars that, imo, can hang with the good vintage stuff.

/rick

10. Roe

Roe Member

tokai SG-75 or SG-155

11. el34power

el34power Member

I would look for a used early 80's Yamaha SBG1000

12. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

I just picked up a used SG standard for well within his price range.

13. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I had (and wish I still had) a Gibson SG Special, which is the bottom end SG, in which I immediately installed Gibson's '57 Classic pickups and had nearly the guitar the '61 Reissue is for about $500 less. I'd do it again. But I won't sell it the second time around.

Everyone needs an SG. No?

Blind Lemon Pledge

14. dupedd

dupedd Member

We're talking more of the $500 range now, so a Special sounds cool.
    Back to the horns issue...is there any guitar out there with a 'horned' headstock, preferably an SG looking one?

How about the $300 range? anything worth it? How about Epiphone's?

15. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I suppose you could do that. But to quote an old dead president Nixon "It would be wrong, that's for sure!";^)

16. wheelman

wheelman Member

I got a Gibson sg special tricked to the tee. I wouldn't trade it for a standard, or classic, or reissue. Just because it's white and has an ebony fretboard. I probally will never get rid of this axe it's far to comfortable, and looks, sounds incredible to boot.

17. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I think that the Gibson SG faded is the best bang for the buck - They are about $ 650.00 new.

I have friends who have polished 'em up and/or stripped and refinned them. One even used a hand sander to come up with a profile more to his liking.

They have 490/490 pickup combination which I actually like a bit better than the 490/498 combo in others.

For a bit more, I agree that the standards with the traditional finish are a good value.

Scott

18. plaintop

plaintop Member

You can score an early 70s SG standard or special for less than a grand. These guitars will no doubt give you the best tone.

I just bought a '74 SG Special routed for humbuckers for $850. It's a killer guitar. I'm actually surprised at how good it sounds.