Best bang for buck parlour? $300 range

tiller

Hi all,

Doing some shopping for my better half who is trying to learn the guitar. We had a full scale dreadnaught for her -- a cheapy -- and she didn't vibe with it at all. Wasn't very nice to play, didn't sound great, and the size was too unwieldy for her. So, we're hunting for a budget parlour or 1/2 - 3/4 sized acoustic in hopes that the size will be more comfortable and thus more inviting to practice on.

I am looking for bang for buck options here in the $300 range. Used is an option. I was thinking maybe a Baby Taylor? I haven't looked around the acoustic market much so maybe there's something out there that is better bang for buck than the Taylor.

Let's hear your suggestions! And please, keep it around the $300 mark.

Thanks!

OM Flyer

I wouldn't really consider a Baby Taylor a parlor, but that might just be me.

Look into Washburns - the WP11SNS has a solid cedar top. If you can stretch your budget to $400, the Alvarez AP70 is nice. If you can't, look at a Recording King ROS-06. Both have solid sitka tops.

tiller

Thanks for the suggestions. I wouldn't consider the Baby Taylor a parlour either -- I did mention that I am looking for not only a parlor, but am considering 1/2 - 3/4 acoustics as well.

I've seen the AP70 come up in discussions before. It might be worth hunting one of those down. Thanks!

tiller

Thanks mannish. I think we demo'd one of the A&L parlours in the shop last time we were looking. Seemed like a decent little axe. The Larivee is definitely out of the budget range unfortunately, although they are nice guitars indeed. I used to have an L05 that was real sweet. Cheers

A_Aron

I was really surprised by a Yamaha FS720 I played awhile back. I played it back to back with several much more expensive smaller guitars and it was hands down the nicest playing and sounding.

tiller

We ended up going for an A&L Folk since it was on sale. Not quite parlour sized, but the SO felt comfy with it. Surprisingly nice sound for the money too. Got it for CAD$270! Thanks again for all the suggestions

Trending Topics