Best bang for the buck Telecaster (or T-style) guitar with binding

blownirocz

Suppoutin' Memba Sinss Dem Oud Dayz...
Gold Supporting Member
Am primarily a Gibson guy, but have suddenly developed a hankerin' for a Tele again. As I'm watching some videos I realize that I really love the look of the bound Tele's, especially in colors like Fiesta Red and Lake Placid blue.

What's the best bang for the buck option for something bound? Doesn't necessarily have to be a Fender, but I do want the standard T aesthetic and prefer rosewood fretboards. Help a Tele newbie out!

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

tarheelalum

Reverend Eastsider?
Indeed. They have a super sweet thin neck that I love but a bit pricey. For the money I suggest the OP take a look at Shecters PT Special. Super high quality build in Korea for a excellent price. This one has more meat on the neck than the above referenced Eastsider Tele.

Last edited:

blownirocz

Suppoutin' Memba Sinss Dem Oud Dayz...
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the input so far guys! Any other feedback?

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
Check Logan guitars on Reverb. I just ordered one today and passed on a top bound light relic in black.

Guys over at TDPRI rave about Bob Logan, and his prices are pretty reasonable.

Guitarwiz007

Gold Supporting Member
I was impressed by the few Michael Kelly's I've played. Also, the G&L Tribute series is pretty nice. Especially that Bluesboy.

Graham G

Best bang for buck,has to be the Squire CVC,i've had one for at least 10years(maybe 15),it's done probably a couple of thousand gigs & still looks & plays great,it cost me about £250 new.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
Squier Classic Vibe 60’s
A few years ago I played one in Russo's... a double-bound Squier CV sunburst Tele that was an amazing guitar. I went back a couple of days later to buy it but it was gone. I triedd a couple of others, but they weren't the same. That one did everything you want a Tele to do, and it cost less than a lot of the pedals in the store.

eoengineer

Gold Supporting Member
Am primarily a Gibson guy, but have suddenly developed a hankerin' for a Tele again. As I'm watching some videos I realize that I really love the look of the bound Tele's, especially in colors like Fiesta Red and Lake Placid blue.

What's the best bang for the buck option for something bound? Doesn't necessarily have to be a Fender, but I do want the standard T aesthetic and prefer rosewood fretboards. Help a Tele newbie out!

Thanks in advance guys!
I agree with others that the classic vibe tele custom is probably the most cost effective path to a double bound tele. I would suggest the following ordered by cost low to high:

- Classic Vibe Tele Custom (I think only available in 3TSB finish)
- Partscaster (can get an allparts double bound body in the $300 range, neck for < $200) for a guitar that is maybe double the price of the classic vibe
- Fender American Original 60s Tele, which also happens to be available in some of the colors you mentioned.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with others that the classic vibe tele custom is probably the most cost effective path to a double bound tele. I would suggest the following ordered by cost low to high:

- Classic Vibe Tele Custom (I think only available in 3TSB finish)
- Partscaster (can get an allparts double bound body in the $300 range, neck for < $200) for a guitar that is maybe double the price of the classic vibe
- Fender American Original 60s Tele, which also happens to be available in some of the colors you mentioned.
Very true... here's my partscaster and it's a great guitar, but even with used parts cost 2 or 3 times what a CV Tele would (or did, last time I checked). But if you really don't want a 3TSB finish and don't want the hassle of a partscaster, Fender Japan made some nice ones. I only noticed this because the partscaster below is what I wanted even though it's historically inaccurate (Fender only started using candy-apple red after the fingerboards went back to being maple) but Fender Japan made the same combination for a while.

eoengineer

Gold Supporting Member
Very true... here's my partscaster and it's a great guitar, but even with used parts cost 2 or 3 times what a CV Tele would (or did, last time I checked). But if you really don't want a 3TSB finish and don't want the hassle of a partscaster, Fender Japan made some nice ones. I only noticed this because the partscaster below is what I wanted even though it's historically inaccurate (Fender only started using candy-apple red after the fingerboards went back to being maple) but Fender Japan made the same combination for a while.
I'm a HUGE fan of the MIJ teles. I have the transparent blue counterpart to your CAR custom there. They seem to put these out in limited runs.

That said, the market has caught on over last few years. While I was able to find these for $600-700 back in 2016, they are now pretty consistently over a $1k. At that price I would probably just save the extra couple hundred and grab the American Original 60s tele, which is IMO an objectively better guitar.

Anymore I'm firmly on the side of partscasters though. I put this one together for around $1k. All nitro, guitar mill nitro body, custom neck.

Trending Topics