Best Bass Combo Amp

sonoragazzo

Need your recommendation on a bass combo amp

I am a long-time guitarist and just recently dabble into bass, need a recommendation on what to get that enables me to cover my needs and my taste

I will be playing at church for no more than 200 people (sometimes with a drummer), even though I don’t want something too powerful,

I need something easy to carry (preferable), something than can provide deep lows and sweet cleans, I am thinking on getting the Hartke HD500, but I am not certain what I would get from cabinets of with speakers of 10in or 12 in, or bigger?

Tried the fender rumble 15 just for practicing and I did not like it at all, therefore I am not interested on the rumble series from fender

Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Mortïcïa

Check out the Ampeg Rocket Bass combos - the 100w RB-112 or 200w RB-115 should be fine for what you're describing. If you have PA support maybe even the 50w RB-110.

Alternatively the Phil Jones BG-120 plus a C2 extension cab is a very portable and scaleable rig, not cheap though.

JB_SC

Gold Supporting Member
For lightweight with a built in XLR DI, you can't go wrong with a Fender Rumble. They sound much better than they have any business doing for their price range.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
For lightweight with a built in XLR DI, you can't go wrong with a Fender Rumble. They sound much better than they have any business doing for their price range.
Yeah, for best price, size. weight, it is hard to beat the Rumble. I have a small one for practice.

My personal fave is the Markbass but it is more $$.

msteeln

everything suggested here, minus the Rumble lol will suit your sitch better than my suggestion merely for superb TONE at home, it's another Fender model from a greater era, their Bassman 150 tilt-back. sporting a sensitive rack of options (knobs) to dial in the goodies d'jour.
the B-DEC-30 is a smaller modeling wonder that offers tons of useable ...stuff, so you can truly create solo. I cleaned house and kept those 2 ss combos, too good to lose, Fender really did well here.
caveat; ignore his poor quote, it IS a tone monster, that's 3/4 of my entire point, otherwise a good overview http://blog.smcgrath.com/2010/12/gear-review-fender-b-dec-30-amplifier.html

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
The Rumble 15 is not remotely representative of the entire series. It’s a 15 watt practice amp.
agreed, that's not remotely fair; with bass amps it's less about "tone" and more about actual power, the more power you have the better and cleaner the low end and thus the better the bass sound

@sonoragazzo check out the rumble 500 combo; it's not heavy but it's legitimately powerful and can even run a second cab, meaning you won't need to spend even more money upgrading from it to something bigger

OP- Rumble 15 is not nearly as nice of an amp as the remainder of the series above 40 watts. Less tone control, no DI, etc.

That said it may not be the “best” but the Rumble 200, 500, and 800 stage are pretty decent combos. We’re I in the market, I’d strongly consider the 800. It’s a beast, it’s light, and not huge but sounds big.

GK combos are great. MarkBass are pretty nice too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom