1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best Bass DI?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vooter, Jan 10, 2006.

1. vooter

vooter Member

What are the best bass DI's? I'm only somewhat familar with the the Tech 21 Sansamp, by somewhat familar I mean I've seen a picture of it. Enlighten me on what you like and why...

2. fatback

fatback Member

Aguilar makes an amazing bass DI if you want to go first-class.

3. theFaf

theFaf Member

I'm a big fan of Eclair Engineering's Evil Twin Tube Direct Box. It's pricey, but sounds amazing!

Scott

4. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

It's not cheap, but I prefer a tube-driven Demeter DI for tracking bass direct. I dig it because it always translates a very warm tone to media, be it 'acoustic' bass, J-bass or P-bass, Danelectro Longhorn, or whatnot. I'm not much into fooling with mics and basses, other than occasionally with an acoustic, and that's usually in tandem with a direct signal. So, I want the convenience of direct, but with warmth, and the Demeter has always delivered.

I've not played Tech 21's bass DI, but I never really warmed up to that company's acoustic DI that I previously owned. For lack of better description, the EQ was just not very musically voiced, for my tastes. I always wound up getting better tones by just bypassing the EQ section and employing the unit strictly as a DI.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

the Demeter is my numero uno choice. has a glossy tube like sound vs. the more goopy aguilar sound. still, the aguilar is a killer choice, too. i just like the hifi'ness of the dem.

another killer DI is the Avalon U5. solid state, but DO NOT LET THAT DISCOURAGE YOU. its one of the best.

course, if these are too pricey, Radial's active JDI has served me very well.

then again, jaco plugged right into the board. ;)

6. justicetones

justicetones Member

+1 for the Aguilar
    +1 for the Demeter tube DI box also.

I have used both and had excellent results.

IMHO The Avalon does not sound as rich as the price. I think they can sound good but are not my first choice.

7. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Jdi radial box is a great DI. That's what Tony Levin swears by...

8. justicetones

justicetones Member

I also own and use the Radial JDI re-amp kit. (1 D.I. , and 1 box to convert back to 10K ohms for input into a guitar amp again.)

Sounds great.

JDI D.I. is a great option too.

9. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

I'm sure "best" DI for bass would be some of the pricier units already mentioned, but I've used the Sansamp BassDI in LIVE band situations, and it's a great tool. Parallel outs allows the uneffected signal to go to the stage amp, while the DI out can go to the board with as much "sansamp coloration" and eq as you like.

10. Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl Member

Your right. I played through one for about 4-5 years. It's great live or studio. I had the hardest time getting live sound guys to let me use it going to their boards. :eek: But it is a great unit. I quit using it live cause I couldn't get that uzzed out Marshall or Acoustic 360 sound. :JAM