Best Bedroom Amp For Blues w/a 335?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Housered, May 3, 2008.

1. Housered

Housered Member

Some amps seem to pair better with some guitars than others.

Light, compact and low watt are required. I want to play at true conversational levels. Most low watt amps fail in this regard. A good Master Volume control is a must. I don't want anything too complicated either. I don't need supper high gain; just a spectrum from really nice clean to nice blues break up. I would rather not go the pedal route; I want the gain without one.

Bedroom is really my living room but I would like something small enough to move from room to room. Just, unplug it, pick it up and go. Not tangle of cords with pedals and an attenuator and all of that nonsense. Well, nonsense in regards to a pick it up and go amp.

I am thinking that something like the Carr Mini-Mercury might be perfect but it cost too much new and I can't seem to find a used one. But, I am thinking of something like that.

Budget: Up to $1,500 new or $1,000 used.

Thanks.

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Emery Sound Super Baby-choose your speaker.

Swart AST or Space Tone Reverb

Reeves Custom 12 Combo

3. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

Curt at Emory specializes in low watt home and pro studio amps.

Also Doug Stalters at Vintone Circuits.

The Reeves 12 is available with power scaling for a $120.00 upcharge.

You may also soon find a great deal on a Suhr Badger 18 since the
    new 30 watt version has some of those owners interested in an upgrade.

5. Housered

Housered Member

All three of you recommend Emery and it is on the short list. I am leaning towards a Microbaby. I really need an amp that can deliver some nice break up at conversational volumes.

5 watts seems to be way too much power with most amps. People buy them for home practice and are disappointed because they are really only half as loud as a 50 watt amp. A smaller speaker helps of course because you are moving less air but even with a small speaker, I always hear the same complaints about the 5 watt amps.

A suburb Master Volume seems to be a must with the 5 watters. Resister based attenuation doesn't seem to cut it either.

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

I lean towards the Superbaby since you can tube it down to 3 watts and up to 12 and it gives you a bit more flexibility in the pre amps stage as well.

Then again, I'd also prefer a small amp with a good amount
    of clean headroom on tap.

The Gries 5 or the new Gries 8 with reverb does have a master volume, so
    those might also be 2 to consider.

7. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I've spent the last 6 months reading every post, thread, harmony central review, basically everything I could read about various low-wattage amps. My small house, wife, and baby on the way dictate a low-wattage amp that still gives me the tonal goods.

I thought forever that it was going to be the Carr Mercury, but I just couldn't spend that kind of money. I finally settled on the Microbaby because of Curt's reputation as well as his personal descriptions of his amps on his website. I've talked with him and he's very accessible.

There are currently Microbaby soundclips on youtube right now. They were posted about 3 days ago and sound great...check 'em out.

I just think the Mb, at 1-2 watts and $1200 is a steal for a true home amp.

Cheers.

rubbersoul

8. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

9. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I not sure I understand bedroom amp. Like quiet but sounds loud? You can do that with a 100 watt head (I have)! Pedals, attenuator, inefficient speakers, moving blankets, stuffed furniture...just slam front end to bring in v1 and then use volume control on amp to set level.

Maybe I misunderstand?

I use small amps to get special small amp tones. Yes use different sizes for different rooms, but lots of play there!

For practice, I can use anything from Smokey to Superlead in "bedroom" (actually only have one room so all bedroom/kitchen/living room, studio....).

Hmm?

DS

EDIT: Ok I re-read post and translated better (sorry). I see what you want. No hassle, not many cords. Still possible my way! Stash clean boost in back of amp and use it to slam v1, dial back volume on amp, use volume control on guitar to get different amounts of distortion. Works! No need for special little amp. But little amps sound "little" (usually...depends on iron and stuff) and are GREAT for "little" sounds, but I think thata isn't what you mean. Get a tweed amps and do what I say and never miss anything.

10. Swain

Swain Member

Well, a Tweed Champ styled amp with a Timmy would be GREAT! My fav, being the Kendrick Model 118. I think the Tweed styled ones break up a little sooner than the Black or Silver Faced ones.

But, if you don't want the pedal, then maybe a ZVex Nano?

H&K used to make a "Cream Machine". Basically a Tube D.I., and a 1/2 or 1 watt amp.

The Stephenson Stage Hog is another one that might do it.

11. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I've heard a lot of good things about those emery's, but those combos have always concerned me because of either having to put them up on a table to get to the controls, or getting on my knees everytime if its on the floor.

and I still think you'd need pedals to get grind at any volume (which is the problem I had trying to use the single ended Swarts). It is really hard to cover a range of tones at any volume without either attenuation or pedals. IMHO

as D.S mentioned, the little smokey is a great choice for $25

12. Housered

Housered Member

Great advice here. Thanks! Please keep it coming.

13. kodecar

kodecar Member

Totally different bent but the D'lite 22/33 will do whisper quiet to semi-loud.

When I think 335 now I think Mr. 335. This amp will do the Carlton thing and lot more. Lots of grind available at any volume. Great cleans too.

14. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Find an old Gibson GA-5 Skylark with the white tolex and one 5Y3, 6V6 and 12AX7. Make sure it has the original Jensen speaker. These are killer little amps dripping with blues tone.

15. teddys

teddys Member

Contact Mark Auble (auble systems) or Fat Sound for his 1 & 2 watt amps.
    simply amazing tone. 1000-1500

Budget: VOX ATV30 with the attenuator on the rear $ 249.00. sits next to my auble.

OR

Kalamazoo Model 1 or 2 ( a great way to spend 250.00)

16. Matt F

Matt F Member

http://www.alessandro-products.com/working_dog/html/boxer.htm

Alessandro Working Dog. Reverb, Built in Attenuator, small in in your price range. You may be able to find a used one clean for under a $1000. For a handwired amp from a boutique builder that's pretty cheap. You can order them with EL84s, 6V6s, 6L6s, or EL34s. Nice amp.

17. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Good suggestions.

Don't miss out on trying the Victoria 5112 ... it's a tweed Champ circuit housed in a tweed Deluxe style cabinet with a 12" speaker.

18. Housered

Housered Member

Good Master Volume? I need breakup at library voice levels.

19. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

my fender custom vibralux as incredible with a ES-335, as far as a blues amp my Marshall DSL401 is great on the clean channel cranked to 10, no matter what the guitar. Fenders really show faults in guitars, marshalls sound good no matter what.