1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best Bedroom Amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cshenkan, Jan 11, 2008.

1. cshenkan

cshenkan Member

I am seeking the best bedroom amp for very low watt power tube saturation! Aren't we all? I am contemplating a champ circuit head amp kit as I have a strong interest in amp building. I chose a head 'cause I feel small amps come with small speakers and I would think a big speaker configuration would give me a big tone at low volumes. I do understand that part of the tone is the air being pushed thru the speakers.

I am curious of everyone's thoughts on this topic. I am a big reverb fan so I would run a pedal thru since most very low watt amps have no reverb. I am also interested in a modified version of a champ head with more gain/master volume as well.

I have experienced the Carr Mercury which, at the 1/8th watt setting, achieved that nirvana but way too expensive for what it is.

I seek both a fender power tube saturation as well as a plexi power tube saturation so I am interested in both and would certainly look at both options separately. Are there any low watt Plexi amp kits? I know Torres has one but I have heard not-so-good stories on them.

Thoughts?

2. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

reverb through preamp and power amp overdrive, without an FX loop, since most low watters don't have them.....hmmm, no sure how that will turn out.

If you go for something with a good master/power scaling/takes attenuators well, that has a loop, you will at least only be running the reverb signal through one set of overdriven tubes which might turn out better.

you'll probably have to pick between fender style power tube saturation and marshall/plexi, since one is based on EL34 and the other from 6L6 (I think, I know next to nothing about fenders), though many of the low wattage amps use EL84, more of a vox-ish thing I think...don't know much about those either, I've been a marshall EL34 nut ever since I started playing.

I'm looking for the same thing really. I think that the best low-volume tones I have gotten are from mid-wattage amps with well designed masters or power scaling.

Today I spent a bit of time with a BadCat HotCat 30R 1x12 combo, it was great, gonna play it some more tomorrow. I've played through a Fuchs lucky 7....not really my style of overdrive but you might like it, excellent quality as well.

Never played a Suhr Badger but it gets mucho praise for great tone at lower volumes....as much as I love the design/tone/concept, I really like to have foot switchable channels. If you are into the single channel thing, you might really like it.

Played a Bogner Shiva...not low wattage at all, but the master volume is excellent. I will be trying out a Bogner Duende tomorrow as well, they have one at the dealer where I was trying out the HotCat. I will probably play through whatever Reinhardt amps they have there with power scaling. Someone was playing a Reinhardt combo while I was there today with a lap steel...I think? along with fenders, I know nothing about country or its instrumentation....anyways, it sounded sweeeet, great tone.

There are lots of options, I don't know where you live, my idea of a 'good selection of amps' may be distorted living in Nashville, but try out whatever you can find locally.

3. phatster

phatster Member

I refer you to a builder thread in the very last section of TGP,the topic being 'bedroom amp'.....it will be comin out soon...may be down your alley.You might check-out SFT for a hot rodded Champ kit

4. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

...search function.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=257314&highlight=bedroom

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=235896&highlight=bedroom

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=233881&highlight=bedroom

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=336150&highlight=bedroom

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=327018&highlight=bedroom

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=323437&highlight=bedroom

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=322821&highlight=bedroom

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=311748&highlight=bedroom

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=302344&highlight=bedroom

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=301906&highlight=bedroom

5. cshenkan

cshenkan Member

I bought the Reinhardt 18 Head with power scaling and although it was amazing at higher volumes, it didn't do it for me at low volumes. To me, sounded very much like an attentuator. I returned it to get the Bogner Shiva and I find, at first, I was very intrigued with the tones but found it very boomey sounding. I swapped out the chinese tubes for some Telefunken's and was less impressed with the tones. It is a 2x12 with V-30's and I find the tones to be not very focused.... I think it just is way too much power for me....

I do have a '68 Vibrolux Reverb with a Lovepedal COT50 in front of it and I have yet to find a better tone either at bedroom volumes or cranked. It is so absolutely glorious in a Clapton Tweed Low Powered Twin kind of way. I also have a Lovepedal Eternity for higher gain stuff which is equally amazing.

6. cshenkan

cshenkan Member

I am considering selling the Shiva for a Suhr Badger 'cause I have heard all the clips and seen the videos and I might be convinced that that is the way to go in terms of a commercial purchase.

I am still big on the amp building path though. I have read the reviews on SFT Hot-Rodded Champ and they are NOT good. I am very intrigued with the 1.5 watt tweed or plexi Torres kit but that also got not-so-good reviews (sorry Dan!).

Are there any kits out there for a 5 watt or (preferribly less) PLEXI type of amp?

7. wahfreak

8. cshenkan

cshenkan Member

Just from looking thru the threads posted by Wahfreak (thanks by the way!), an 18 watt Marshall style amp is NOT a bedroom amp. Unless dimed which is too loud for even a club, they tend to sound rather dull (please don't kill me as I really like the cranked tone of them) IMHO. The Fuches has been mentioned a few times. How many watts is it?

I have received some pm's on my thoughts on the Shiva. Yes, great MV, but at 60 watts (6L6's), you just can't get enough going to compensate on the MV. Not cutting it at bedroom levels. Yes it is a killer amp for clubs/stages, but not as a practice amp (which it absolutely was not intended for, I know)....

9. cshenkan

cshenkan Member

Yes wahfreak, check out youtube for a vid of this. It seems that Fargen and Suhr (and maybe Reeves, but I don't know) have gotten the power scaling down. Reinhardt has not although I have to say, the Reinhardt 18 kills any 18 watt Marshall in existence!!!!!

I think, on the commercial end, I will buy a Fargen Miniplex or a Suhr Badger. BUT, I still amlooking for a kit-based champ or some other low-wattage amp.

10. joshsage

joshsage Member

11. joshsage

joshsage Member

also cornford has the carerra, hurricane, and the harlequin...

I used a hurricane for a bedroom amp for the longest time! Absolute killer!
    Josh

12. cshenkan

cshenkan Member

Natderox17:
    I'll take a fx loop, if that helps.... I don't care as long as I get my 'verb or space somehow....

13. cshenkan

cshenkan Member

Joshsage:
    Great vid on youtube. I am jealous 'cause you didn't ignore your pinky finger like I did growing up! Great chops dude!

14. cshenkan

cshenkan Member

To my point, joshsage has a great low volume tone plugged into what looks like a 4x12 cab.

Can I asume a low watt (very low) thru a 4x12 will sound killer vs. a 1x8??

15. wahfreak

If you're talking about that Elmwood vid, I hope you can stomach the $3300 for that low volume bedroom amp!! No, that doesn't include the cab. :D

16. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

fwiw, I think the Badger might be just the ticket for you...the power scaling works amazingly well and you can really get the same tone at almost any volume...the Pete Thorn demo is a very reliable guide as to what you are getting with the Badger and it is very well built...the new version of the Fargen Miniplex has both powerscaling and a master volume and some people like to combine them or just use the apparently quite good master volume alone...can't go wrong with either one of those...

if you want to try another option of a higher (but still low) watt amp with great master volumes, check out Top Hat amps. the Club Royale has a cool mix of vox chime and marshall growl...I have a Vanderbilt 33 which is powered by 2 6L6s and can get quite loud but the master volume is so effective that I find it entirely usable at home, although in a fairly large room in a finished basement...

for a different flavor amp that can also have effective powerscaling, you might consider a Kingsley amp...I just got a Deluxe32C with power scaling and the cool mod that allows you to blend to taste the 2 el84s and 2 6v6s (or any other octal tube which can be put in there without any need for rebiasing)...very cool amp with a million sounds in it...not especially Marshally but great touch sensitive amp that has a huge number of tone controlling options and the power scaling is very effective on it...I don't play it at whisper volumes but it is like the Badger in how the powerscaling allows access to all the tones in it without knocking windows out of their frames...

sorry for the kingsley digression there, but just got it and you were concerned about power scaling and the Kingsley definitely uses powerscaling very effectively...it can apparently be more or less effectively implemented or fit with certain amps better than others (not sure why that is the case) but the Badger was built with the idea of powerscaling there from the start...it is a stunning amp in its sound and for its powerscaling...I bet the Fargen Miniplex II would also be a great option...check out the youtube videos of Ben Fargen himself playing at low volumes...

17. cshenkan

cshenkan Member

Just when you think you know it all..... yes dude it's an Elmwood which I have never heard of.... $3,300 bucks.... I'm not poor but.... I disregarded the Carr Mercury for 1/3 less price..... Honestly, if I am going to spend that kind of bread, I'll go with a blackface Deluxe or Vibrolux or something like that.... I still have not heard anything like a "64 Fender... My "68 Vibrolux (vertical lines/blackface) is the single greatest amp ever.... I can't top it no matter how I try.....Put a Lovetone COT in front of it and...... Nothing on this planet beats it!

To that end, I am still searching for low watt power tube saturation. Amp building kits.... Marsh, Weber, Torres (as much as I like a 1.5 tweed or Plexi built; too many complaints) Mission, etc. Any help???

Champ head with MV thru a 4x12 sound slike it would be the ultimate nirvana (with a 'verb pedal in front?) ???? Help???

I must say that a Blues Jr. through a 4x12 amp seems like it would be tone nirvana, but have never tried that.....

Thoughts?

18. utterhack

utterhack Member

[​IMG]

This is going to be announced at NAMM: Blackheart Killer Ant; Belov-designed, sub-1W, $139.99...

Don't know when it'll be relased, but I do know the true bedroom/recording amp game is getting really interesting...

19. cshenkan

cshenkan Member

That's way too rich for my blood. but a champ thru a 4x12 culd get me there????

20. cshenkan

cshenkan Member

Blackheart? Not heard of them either?