Best beginning guitar method books for a teenager?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by gearitis, Dec 3, 2017.

1. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

My son has finally decided to learn guitar after trying piano (lasted about a year), trying violin (lasted a couple months), and learning how to play drums/percussion (he has been playing for about five years and he's pretty damn good).

I just started teaching him some basics, but I'd like to get him into a more structured and methodical system that I can help him work through.

What do you recommend?

2. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

A subscription to Guitar Player.

gearitis, Clifford-D and Bb7 like this.
  3. Elle Dechene

Elle Dechene Member

daacrusher2001 and gearitis like this.
  4. Bb7

Bb7 Supporting Member

+1

I'm still referring to articles and interviews from many years ago... great resource. You can find bound editions (sometimes going back to the 70s) at larger libraries.

gearitis likes this.
  5. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Beginning guitar player? My suggestion is get into all the music he digs.

I totally believe in following your muze.
    And I totally believe in lots and lots of small successes, and leaving lessons on a win. The idea is to turn him on, not off.

boyce89976, Thwap, gearitis and 2 others like this.
  6. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I remember a student that on the first day he says he wants to learn Eruption.

I could tell this guy was not interested in peripherals like scales, chords,,, as a good teacher I had to assess what type of learner was sitting across from me.

I decided the only way to turn him on was to go right to two handed tapping. I showed him a fundamental three note tapping sequence and he hooked on to the idea right away. I got as far as showing him how to cross strings with the technique, he could barely do it but he understood the technique and he could read the simple tab too.

Not bad for 45 minutes.

He was with me for a few years till he graduated high school. In the end we were into chords all over the neck, how to name complex chords. Jazz approach to chords and progressions including close voiced, drop 2, etc.
    When he left, he could think music on his own. And he remained a rocker with an advanced understanding of what he was doing.

Not bad for three years.

And boy, as a teacher that feels so good.

The first tapping lesson that hooked him,
    rt tap ....rt p/o....lft h/o......rt tap
    -12------------5-----------8------------12 repeat
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    get that right hand tap happening at 3-4 times per second and that three note sequence burns.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    strike3, boyce89976, Thwap and 3 others like this.
  7. QuarterTone

QuarterTone Member

"Fretboard Theory" by Desi Serna.

gearitis likes this.
  8. QuarterTone

QuarterTone Member

I have to say, that's a great story, and I mean it!

Clifford-D likes this.
  9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Guitar Handbook by Denyer.

Gives an overview of guitars - how they are constructed, names of parts, terminology, etc. Also gives an overview of some of the great players - that was the 2nd time I'd heard of Robert Fripp (1st time was on some 80s TV program in which he played some guitar synth and talked about it). Finishes with intro to playing the instrument - fretboard charts, chord diagrams, scale diagrams, etc.

There are lots of "beginners' how to play guitar" books, websites, etc. out there, but very, very few actually make the effort to introduce the instrument itself and its players, with lots of photos to boot. This is one of those very few.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  10. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I used to enjoy using this great guitar teaching tool where, when using it, the kid student would receive an electric shock for a wrong note played on the guitar. And the shocks would step up in intensity with every following missed note.
    I called it 'Ol Sparky.

Yea, those were the good old days,,,
    they don't let me do that anymore =(

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Caprica likes this.
  11. chirills

chirills Member

I'd say buy him a nice guitar and jam with him. IMO, he's gonna learn more that way than any book will teach him.