Best BF Fender type of amp for a 335

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hugo, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Hugo

Hugo Member

I am playing blues and want a meduim powered fender amp that can give me nice sparkling BF clean tone and smooth break-up. I have a Clark deluxe reverb clone and while a very nice amo it does not mate well with the 335 and lacks headroom for me. I am thinking either pro reverb or vribrolux reverb or super reverb. I want it to be a nice match with the 335: what's your opinion.

The amp will be a clone by Vintage Sound amp, Victoria or Headstrong Amps.

Thanks!

2. Tommy C

Tommy C Member

I would say the Blackface Twin style amp is the way to go, works very nicely with 335 s ,they are actually 85w rather than 100w ,,some of these have lower platevoltage and those are really nice for smaller clubs too I am sure you can ask any of these builder for a slightly lower watt version

Tommy

3. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

335+BF ProReverb=Heaven! I had a '67 335 and have a '67 Pro. So does Tomo (but there's a little more magic when he plays that combination!);)

4. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I use my ES 335 with a 65 Twin Reverb Reissue that I picked up used, I retubed the amp and put Eminence Tonkerlites in for speakers and the amp is incredible!! It now weighs ~50lbs and has the best clean sound/tone on the planet. I put a G2D Cream Tone pedal in front and I'm in blues heaven.

5. Sweet T

Sweet T Member

Man, I gotta say that my VS410 sounds great with a Heritage 535. You do, of course, have the bitch of having a 4x10 Super Reverb clone and the chiro-nightmare of carrying it around. But it sounds great.

6. 67super

67super Supporting Member

My BFSR and 355 sound awesome together. It also sounds great through my 66 bassman.

7. Tomo

Tomo Member

I have Vibrolux, Super and Pro. I like Pro Reverb(2-12s) for my ES335.

Tomo

8. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Call me a heretic, but I'm REALLY enjoying my ES-137 Custom thru a Hot Rod Deluxe. I stay on the clean channel and use a Fulltone OCD or Fulldrive II for my dirt. The only real mods I have are better tubes and an Eminence C-Rex speaker. This is a very affordable combo when used.

Stormin!

9. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

On the the WCR pickups site, there is a soundclip for the Crossroads pickup. It was such a wonderful sound I emailed the company to aske what it was - a 335 through a Pro. I'd check it out.

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

My Heritage 535 into the cranked bassman side of a SuperSonic is about as good as it gets.

11. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I have a BF Pro Reverb and a BF Vibrolux Reverb - no BF Super though (you got me there Tomo - GRIN) I agree with Tomo and James Dawson - I love my ES-335 with the BF Pro Reverb.

Dana O.

12. Sweet T

Sweet T Member

I have the Crossroads in my H535 and they're awesome.

13. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

14. Hugo

Hugo Member

Wow, lots of great feed-back.

I love also the Hot rod deluxe (especially for the price) but only when palyed clean. When pushed, I find it raspy sounding with the stock speaker and tubes.

I have a Vicky 45410 and while I really enjoy the 335 cranked through it, I really need that BF type of clean that cannot be dialed with the bassman.

The Pro seems to be the most voted...that the one I am considering the most right now.

More feed-back?

15. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

It totally depends on how loud you plan to play. I'm a fan of everthing blackface from the Deluxe up to the Twin.

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

My 335 seems to go for multiple 12 inch speaker formats, or for a 1x15. An old twin is perfect. VRs -- otherwise my favorite of the later fenders -- do sound good, just not as good. So far the best amps I've tried for the 335 is a Twilighter 260 (same as Magnatone) and Ampeg Gemini II.

17. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

18. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I'd vote for a BF (or early SF) Pro Reverb.

Great amps, still fairly affordable. It'll give you the headroom you want, and still be able to give you some nice breakup at usable volume. Couple it with an Alessandro Muzzle or other (4 ohm) attenuator, and you can play anywhere with it!

19. opus

opus Member

vibrolux reverb, vibrolux reverb, vibrolux reverb..., you get the picture:AOK

20. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Tweed Bassman or Bandmaster or clone, with a reverb tank in front. Warmer tone, better OD tone and better reverb, lighter and seperate from each other