Best blues amp for $400 to $500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by raildog, Feb 20, 2009.

1. raildog

raildog Member

best blues amp for $400 to $500? what are your thoughts any sleepers out there besides crate or peavey? thanks,Scott

2. jpage

jpage Member

Used Blues Deluxe. Period.

3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

really hate to give up the more OD on the fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and the blues deluxes tend to be more expensive than the HRDx, and harder to find, really can not see a lot of differences between those two amps, I have a HRDx, if your looking that way, the blues Jrs, but really those are el-84 amps like the peavy classic 30, I would get a classic 30 over a blues jr, but I would get an HRDx over a peavy classic 30, the el-84 aare good for the blues,

my HRDx has jjs 6v6 tubes, 6V6s are in the PRRI and the DRRIs, and the HRDx gives me more flexibility at a lower price, can go back to 6L6 in my HRDx, the PRRI and DRRI wont run the 6L6 tubes.

4. tch

tch Member

I am digging the Blackheart Handsome Devil head for raunchy slide. Throw in JJ's and you're still under 400.

5. bynt

bynt Member

I second all the above but I think it might depend on what blues your looking to play. I know that sounds nit picky but for old school stuff, an Epiphone Valve Jr. is a better tone that a glossy Fender type tone.

6. shane8

shane8 Member

used classic 30 obviously

7. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

:agree

8. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the Super Champ XD. I've never owned one, but there are a lot of blues clips out there that sounds really good.

This guy does a good job showing it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6PiHd-H2U

9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

For that price range, the US Made Blues Deluxe is your best option (used). But used US models are harder to find then MIMs. I was lucky to find a 90's Blues Deville 4x10 for $625 that is great. Awesome blues based amp that takes pedals well and has sweet tone with the 4x10. The only downer is that it's loud (60w) and heavy... I'm considering downsizing to a Deluxe or Blues Jr if I can find one with the right price and US Made versus MIM.

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Gotta disagree on several points. While both HRDx and Blues Deluxes can run 6V6's, this changes the output impedance on either amp, making the stock, 8 ohm single 12 combo speaker a mismatch. To match correctly, you would need a 16 ohm speaker.

Yes, I know, people say Fender OT's are forgiving and this won't hurt, especially when you increase the impedance, but I've seen Fender amp OT's fail in as little as a couple year's time after increasing impedance. You may want to rethink that, or replace your speaker with a properly matched one.

Second, there is a big difference between HRDx and Blues Deluxe clean channels. The Blues Deluxe clean channel compresses and clips more on its own when driven. The HRDx stays clean louder.

What they have in common is both clean channels make excellent pedal platforms.

Personally, I would not get a Peavy Classic 30 over a Blues Jr. The Classic 30 is a great sounding amp, but the Blues Jr, at half the wattage, has better cleans. If cleans aren't that important, by all means.

11. larimar

larimar Member

Vintage Ampeg amps are nice and can be found in your price range.

12. Derelict

Derelict Member

peavey delta blues 1x15

13. highrise

highrise Member

Delta Blues 1x15

Bassman RI (used)

14. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

I'll never forget the night I was in Buddy Guy's club in Chicago watching the act of the night setting up. Old guy walks on stage with what looked like a Champ. Beat up to hell and back; taped up handle-you get the picture. Anyway, small amp. Miked up it sounded huge and just filled the room perfectly. Opened my ears right up.

15. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

used 5E3 clone, that someone put together from a kit or had a tech do

I did this and got a great little amp for small club and restaurant work

16. okbutjustonce

okbutjustonce Senior Member

17. hasserl

hasserl Member

You make a good point here, that the damage an impedance mismatch does is cumulative, it can take time for it to show up. Something for all you Ultimate Attenuator users out there to think about.

18. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

A used DRRI is usually $650+ so thats out...
    thats all i got :(

19. el profe

el profe Member

Used Gibson GA20RVT. You can find them for around $500 now and they're probably the only handwired amp with tube trem and reverb for the price. The trem is kinda lame, but it's an easy fix. No master volume is kind of a bummer, but you can still get a great tweedy blues grind without taking your face off.

20. hasserl

hasserl Member

For used gear I think I'd go for a Fender Musicmaster Bass, far better tone than ANY of the amps mentioned so far. You'll want to upgrade the speaker, and there's a simple mod for the Tone control that improves it's function, but other than that they are great little amps. And if you shop carefully you could probably pick up two of them for less than 5 bills. Two Musicmaster Bass amps would be an absolutely killer blues rig.

For new, I'd look at the Carvin Nomad or maybe the Vintage 16, or Fender Blues Jr. But I stick by my first recommendation, MMBass, best value in used low power amps out there right now. Get 'em while you can.