Best Blues Overdrive Pedal?

You're gonna get a million answers and they're all going to be varying degrees of correct, but its like asking people what the best flavor of ice cream is. I could tell you its hands-down mint chocolate chip, but you go to a shop to try it all hyped and ready to experience the best ice cream flavor and...you hate it. Just like your taste buds, your ears are different from mine and everyone else so I'd just look up whatever artist you think sounds good and google what pedal they use. But, then when you try it out you'll discover that most of what you're hearing is their fingers/playing, not so much the pedal. A better player is going to make even the cheapest, *******st pedal sound great.

So idk, just get a tube screamer or blues driver and call it a day, if you can't get a good warm blues tone out of either of those, the problem is your fingers and not the pedal. Save yourself hundreds of dollars and pain.

Mid overdrive with volume cleanup for strat

Shanks into a King of Tone red side with gains at 11-12.00 both Tones at 11.00
Duellist only both Channels on with both gains at 11.00 (B into A) both tones at 11.00 both toggles set to fat.
Important ingredient is spring reverb because many of those BB and Albert King licks don’t work as well dry. Onboard reverbs are better than pedals in many instances because if you’re using a distorted tone the reverb pedal can overemphasise and create some harshness same happens with delays if you’re not going via an effects loop. I practice with a Roland Cube Lite and the onboard reverb is better than my $500 dollar plus reverb pedal…go figure.

Last but not least for blues tone, don’t pick at an angle like those speed pickers do, it has to be front on…true secret to blues tone

Which Blues pedal would you recommend for smooth warm overdrive going into a clean Fender style amp?
Either a Blues Breaker-style circuit (Morning Glory, Duke of Tone, Keeley 1962x, Wampler Pantheon), or a Boss Blues Driver (not many clones of it; it's one of the more complex drive circuits, and Boss pedals tend to be plentiful and affordable). Any of these are capable of a warm light-to-moderate drive without a ton of mid-poke, great as a core blues tone.

Yeah, the TS is famous for pushing blackface mids, and the Klon was built to do the TS one better in that role. If you have room for a stack, I'd put either of these (or an SD-1) next to anything I've already mentioned as a solo poke-out. However, as a basic always-on level of gain for blues, I stand by the above recommendations.

Either a Blues Breaker-style circuit (Morning Glory, Duke of Tone, Keeley 1962x, Wampler Pantheon), or a Boss Blues Driver (not many clones of it; it's one of the more complex drive circuits, and Boss pedals tend to be plentiful and affordable). Any of these are capable of a warm light-to-moderate drive without a ton of mid-poke, great as a core blues tone.

Yeah, the TS is famous for pushing blackface mids, and the Klon was built to do the TS one better in that role. If you have room for a stack, I'd put either of these (or an SD-1) next to anything I've already mentioned as a solo poke-out. However, as a basic always-on level of gain for blues, I stand by the above recommendations.
Thanks! What about a BMF Effects Godfather pedal?

Thanks! What about a BMF Effects Godfather pedal?
Haven't played it. Definitely looks/sounds like it does the trick, but - and this is TGP heresy, I realize - you don't need to spend $190 to get that tone. I'm not 100% sure what the circuit is, but it's definitely a low-gain soft-clipper, the big gimmick that I can tell being the internal bass trimpot. Personally I find the presence control of KOT-based circuits more useful (though I do have an ODR Mini that can get a bit boomy).

The Part II/Part III dual pedals may be worth it as a more available and less recognizable alternative to a KoT, but in single form, IMO there are dozens of other options for this sound at lower prices.

Wrong place to ask, in my opinion.

Everyone is going to give you their opinion of what is the best blues pedal.

The majority of answers will be: Ibanez Tube Screamer, Klon, Boss Blues Driver, Nobels Overdrive, King Of Tone, etc. The list is endless.

At this pace you are better off getting a Joyo Vintage Overdrive and some other cheap pedals, try them out and see what style suits you best!

Which Blues pedal would you recommend for smooth warm overdrive going into a clean Fender style amp?

Any examples of players that have the kind of tone you are referencing? Not saying you are looking to copy their tone, but smooth and warm can mean different things to different people. So if you had an example or two of guys with smooth warm tone that might help with recommendations.

Solo at 3:08, is this what you'd call warm and smooth?

Last edited:
Any examples of players that have the kind of tone you are referencing? Not saying you are looking to copy their tone, but smooth and warm can mean different things to different people. So if you had an example or two of guys with smooth warm tone that might help with recommendations.

Solo at 3:08, is this what you'd call warm and smooth?

Chris never uses pedals. What you're probably hearing is likely his ES-335 plugged straight into Chris' Music Man RD-50 with EVM-12 speaker. The RD-50 has a solid state preamp and uses 6L6 power tubes. If you've seen Chris live, you know he uses the neck pickup almost exclusively and dials in his lead tone using the volume and tone knobs on his guitar (ES-335, Les Paul, or SG).

Chris never uses pedals. What you're probably hearing is likely his ES-335 plugged straight into Chris' Music Man RD-50 with EVM-12 speaker. The RD-50 has a solid state preamp and uses 6L6 power tubes. If you've seen Chris live, you know he uses the neck pickup almost exclusively and dials in his lead tone using the volume and tone knobs on his guitar (ES-335, Les Paul, or SG).

I realize he doesn't use pedals. My question to the OP was "what is smooth and warm". I used Chris as an example because to me he has a smooth warm tone.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom