• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best book for creating a solid foundation

chell

Hello,

if you could name one book to take a beginning guitar player to having a really solid basic foundation which one would it be and why?

Personally, I don't know of any such book. Most of the ones I've looked at are either too simple, i.e. they don't really teach you a solid foundation (music theory wise etc.) or they're too advanced, i.e. they throw you into cold water and make you learn how to swim yourself.

The perfect book would probably be something in between those 2 extremes.

It would probably be the notebook created by a great teacher for his student.

I'm just chiming in to see what gets discussed.......

spencerbk

Probably depends what you are interested in.

I wouldn't point you towards my favorite jazz book ("The Jazz Theory Book" by Mark Levine, btw) if you were looking to build a foundation in classical, blues, rock, bluegrass, afrobeat, bossa nova ...

The perfect book for you probably takes concepts (technique, theory) and shows their application to music you know and like.

joe19680

I'm new here and to the guitar again....I have found on Amazon a Guitar Fretboard Workbook, a complete system for understanding the fretboard. Acoustic or electric. Hal Leonard. Lots of theory and exercises. Uses the draw, describe, play method. I'm finding it very helpful in understanding the guitar! Don't know if this is what your looking for or just discussing, but its working for me on my own....

chell

Basically I'm looking for something that's geared more towards having a general good foundation (for a variety of styles)... I wanna end up playing the blues and writing my own (pop) songs.

JimmyD

I'm not sure the book you seek has been written, but if I have to take something along to the desert island for me it might very well be the Joe Pass "red book".

Tons of info in that book.

Jim

Hello,

if you could name one book to take a beginning guitar player to having a really solid basic foundation which one would it be and why?

Personally, I don't know of any such book. Most of the ones I've looked at are either too simple, i.e. they don't really teach you a solid foundation (music theory wise etc.) or they're too advanced, i.e. they throw you into cold water and make you learn how to swim yourself.

The perfect book would probably be something in between those 2 extremes.
I got started with Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer. This is a good overview of the guitar universe, describing great players, basics of amplification, types of guitars, theory, etc. I'm not sure it's the "best" though.

I was glad I found my jazz guitar teacher though. The few lessons I had with him had a much more tremendous impact on my musical life than any book, an impact which lasts to this day. Aside from introducing me to chord construction, intervals, etc., he turned us on to Bill Frisell, Charlie Christian, Allan Holdsworth, etc.

gennation

By Beginner to Advanced Series at my website will show you a straight forward, organized, ground up to building a foundation of common music theory concepts.

http://lessons.mikedodge.com

It starts with Intervals, then moves to Chord Construction, and then onto Diatonic Theory.

It's free, I've been teaching it over 20 years, it's comprehensive while still being very straight forward to grasp (many people have commented on how easy it was to grasp). Print it out if you need to.

Elektrik_SIxx

Basically I'm looking for something that's geared more towards having a general good foundation (for a variety of styles)... I wanna end up playing the blues and writing my own (pop) songs.
If that's the case, you might want to look at Rikky Rooksby: How to Write Songs on Guitar in addition to a something like the Guitar Fretboard workbook mentioned earlier.

I like the Berklee Modern Method For Guitar Book-DVDROM Vol. 1 but it does require the student to get comfortable with standard notation quickly, and also ramps up the difficulty quickly. It's not impossible for a beginner to work with but it could be daunting for some people. You get into string skipping really quickly for example. On the other hand, if you as a beginner are in a hurry to get out of the basic open-string chords (C major, G major, etc.), develop some picking technique, learn how to play a line while notes on other strings are still sustaining, get comfortable with reading, this book might be the ticket for you.

The DVD-ROM will help a lot.

Trending Topics