Best boost for a heavily distorted amp...solo boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sparkle**, Jun 16, 2008.

1. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

Best boost for a heavily distorted amp...solo boost

Ok:

Playing in a metal band heavily distorted amps and I need a loud clean boost.... So far most have compressed the sound not boosted...

BTW: it is a egnater modded marshall....

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

The higher the gain, the tougher this becomes. My suggestion is to use some pedal (perhaps an eq pedal) to reduce the overall volume for rythmn, then kick off the pedal for the higher volume. I've done this with an OD pedal, I set the volume lower on it and kicked it off when I needed a lead tone. Give it a try!

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

In order to get a volume boost when you're using an already distorted amp, you'll really need to use a pedal in the effects loop. Boosts placed before the amp will really just increase distortion, as you've noticed. In the loop and it will increase the volume.

A Boss GE7 works well for this. You can not only boost the overall volume, but increase the lows and mids a hair to make the single lead line leads sound fatter.

dwoverdrive likes this.
  4. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I tried dam near every "Clean" boost out there to use with my Yamaha/Soldano T-50C. This one won hands down. No bottom end loss and it's transparent with the tone knob switched off or you can tweak your tone with the tone knob. I've tried it slamming the front end and also puttimg it in the loop, both sound KILLER!!!!

http://www.smartpeoplefactory.com/

[​IMG]

5. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yeah the problem with heavy distortion is that you're usually already out of headroom and there is no more volume available. So getting something other than compression is difficult. You're better off trying to boost certain frequencies and cutting some others. The old Randy Rhoades trick was to set up an eq pedal with a midrange boost (an inverted V shape) and also cut some of the bass and/or lower mids. This will help make you leads cut through more in the mix and give you a greater impression of a volume boost. A hot wah pedal with a big sweep range like a Morley set in the right position will give a similar result. This is what Tony Iommi and Michael Schenker have done in their solos (although they didn't use Morleys) and it works well in a metal context. All the advice given above though is also good and worth trying. I think though that an eq pedal is the way go rather than a distortion device.

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Clean boost in the fx loop is the only way to get a solo boost with heavy distortion, I'm back to using a Boss GE-7 EQ in my loop I usually just set it flat and use the gain slider for the amount of boost I need it works great!

7. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

:agree
    +1
    i run an mxr micro amp in the effects loop. as long has you have a little headroom in your poweramp, you can get a volume boost that ASSURES you will be heard over the mix. eq's work well too, but you gotta have a little headroom. with a 50w or 100w head, there should be some headroom....but we should all be rich too, right?!

8. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

Ever tried the Qzone?

Btw: I do not have an FX loop....

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

If you don't want to turn the distortion into mush, just use a good clean boost like a RC Booster or better yet and much cheaper, get into using the guitar volume knob. This opened up a whole new world for me.

10. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

11. cameron

cameron Member

This is one of those perennial questions.

If you can do a boost or EQ in the loop, try that.

Many Mesa/Boogie users get a lead boost by using the amp's graphic EQ to scoop their rhythm sound and then bypassing the EQ (via footswitch) for a lead sound (un-scooping the mids doesn't actually increase volume, but gives an apparent boost by making the sound cut through more.)

Another good trick is to set up an OD pedal in front of the amp, with the pedal's volume level set up at less than unity. So with the pedal engaged, you actually have less volume than with the pedal bypassed. You can use the gain control on the pedal to counteract the reduced gain you might get from the amp's pre-amp. Use the pedal for the rhythm sound and then turn it off for your lead sound.

12. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Try a treble booster like a Rangemaster clone

13. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

+1 I have used an EQ in the loop, which works great. Currently I'm using a Boost 'N Buff in the loop. Works great!

14. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

+1. Even though I have plenty of boosts, there's something to be said for thinking of "8" as "10" and then having "2 more" when you need it.

15. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

eq in the loop or better yet keeley katana

16. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

17. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

I run a Marshall 2204 hot and use either a Fulldrive II or OCD.

18. MesaTone

MesaTone Member

Been through a lot of challengers and I still end up using my old standby Boss SD-1 with the C6 mod. Has worked great for years, and never fails to deliver the goods.

I have since done some more mods, installed a .0015 box cap in C6 and two parallel .001mfd ceramic caps across the outside lugs of the volume pot to smooth the treble EQ and clean up the 'hash'. Also lined the inside of the pedal with electrical tape for electrical interference reduction, just don't cover up any ground points.

Absolutely perfect for my use. YMMV.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  19. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Then you need to do what Franklin described in post #2.

20. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Treble booster or a cocked wah.

Jessebelanger1988 likes this.