1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best boost for AC30 ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sixstring531, Jan 28, 2008.

1. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I am in the market for a good (and less that $150) boost for my AC30. I was thinking something along the lines of a Rangemaster type boost.

Anyone have suggestions? Is the Homebrew Germania a good replica?

2. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

I'd vote for a used Divided By 13 DynaRanger.

3. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

Thanks Mike.

More suggestions please

4. starvingartist

starvingartist Supporting Member

I'd recommend searching thread titles in the effects forum for the term "AC30" . There are tons of threads on this topic.

5. Teahead

Teahead Member

A Rangemaster type is a great match if you play the Normal Channel opened enough to get a little break up from the amp already. Analog Man's Beano can be had used for less than $150, I love that pedal with my AC30.

6. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

I've heard many people here on TGP say that the Gaspedal Carb excels with an AC30, and personally I like the way the RC Booster works with my Vox and Bad Cat. You can find either of these pedals used for around $150.

7. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Lots of stuff works, but depending on the channel, you're going to get different results.

I run my amp very hot, and plug into the Top Boost Channel. I've liked alot of different pedals for boosting that all sit in that 100-150 price range: Xotic RC, Timmy, hotcake, Carb all worked nicely. Each had it's own charecter. I personally use the Timmy for juicing my amp for lower gain OD tone. I know there are alot of guys that just use the MXR Micro Amp to boost the AC30. I've been thinking about trying one of these myself.

8. ROKY

ROKY Member

Good one .

Also, in a very similiar vein .. an HBE Germacide.

Discontinued but they show up on eBay, where I bought 3 of them in
    recent months . One just sold a couple days ago for $80.00 .

9. chandlerjenkins

chandlerjenkins Member

i use a seymour duncon pickup booster with mine :)...its cheap and does what it does just fine...

10. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

11. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I really want to start running a subdecay liquid sunshine set to a rangemaster setting through the normal channel of my Ac30. Currently, after trying a few clean boosts (including RC, Zvex SHO, Keeley Katana, etc.) I've decided to stick with the clean boost side of the Voodoo lab sparkle drive. The TS side doesn't jive well with the AC30 normal channel, but the boost is quite fat. I liked the Keeley a little better as a clean/gain boost, but i noticed only a small difference with the sparkle drive.

12. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

MXR Micro amp for me. It's a great boost for these amps. The micro boost has a bit of prescence or high end added when engaged and it just kills with the AC 30.

Very touch sensitive too. I keep it on all the time and just use the guitars volume control to clean it up , it works great and for the price it's worth a try.

plexi

13. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

With low gain settings and higher volume settings I find that the Red Llama (or clone), Keeley BD, Hotcake, Fulldrive (comp cut engaged) really do well in bringing out the natural drive of the amp.

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I like the Crowther Hotcake with an AC30.

15. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

Don Butler Dallas Rangemaster clone. It's the same as the one he made for 65 Amps for a short while. Don's was one of the first boutique Rangemaster clones, maybe the first, if I'm not mistaken. He was building them in the 90's. Also the best sounding IMO, but I do like the Analogman Beano quite a bit too.

16. rockford

rockford Member

Look up Dice works on ebay.