Best Boost for DSL Clean/Crunch/Green Channel?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Junk Yard Dog, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

I have a Voodoo moddded Deluxe DSL and my friend also plays a DSL. We're playing a blues/hard rock show ala Black Crowes, Kravitz, GNR, Pearl Jam up to Alice in Chains at the heaviest.

I've been experimenting more with my Keeley SD-1, the older version, into the Green Channel with the Crunch engaged. This channel is the better of the two, even with the Voodoo mod and they both sound good, but I'm thinking that I can get better tones out of the Green Channel and get the hard rock/AIC tones with a boost up front and my MXR 10-band in teh loop for solo boosts.

So far I've looked up the Xcotic BB preamp and the Fulltone OCD.

Does anyone have any experience with this setup or at least with these pedals?

Thanks!

2. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

i have a couple dsl's and think any ts type pedal works best..currently i use a sparkle drive, a bbe green screamer or even a badmonkey. sd1 is good too though not as much output and a little noisier imo.

3. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Yeah, my SD-1 is a little noisy, but read on Keeley's website that they've made some new modifications and the new ones are less noisy.

So, I'm looking for something that will take me from SRV to AIC, if that's possible.

Channel sounds GREAT on it's own b/c of the Voodoo mod.

4. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

on the green channel, i can get everything from ac/dc or even cleaner to heavy metal crunch with just a ts pedal..i really love this setup and wouldnt change a thing. i also use an eq ped in the loop, along with a dd20 and chorus, and it really adds to the versatility.

5. mach5

mach5 Member

I've been using a Fulltone Fulldrive and it works pretty well.

6. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

I have a DSL. No pedal needed when using the green. However, I have really hot pickups set really close to the strings. I get gobs of sustain. I can see needing a pedal only if you have vintage output pickups.

7. Nigel11

Nigel11 Member

I use a Bad Monkey, it is cheaper than a TS-9 and I like it better. It is way better than the Boss stuff also. I haven't used the 808 tube screamer or any of the Fulltone pedals yet.

8. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

I agree that without a pedal, the Green channel is pretty good, esp. with the Crunch switch engaged.

However, I'm trying to use the Green as my "all purpose channel" and want to use it for heavier tones as well like Alice in Chains, maybe Tool?

9. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

I had an OCD v1 and I remember when i stil had my DSL I could dial that OCD in to sound almost identical to the cruch mode when on clean.

I know thats not really what you are trying to do but the OCD will provide you consistant voice and gain structure.

10. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

With my DSL, I used the TS-9 with a Bad Monkey. I liked that combination better than the FD-2

11. gillibi

gillibi Member

I used to gig with a DSL, with a Analogman Beano always on and a Duncan Pickup Booster cranked for my overdrive/lead sounds(using my volume knob) into the clean channel with gain 3/4 of the way up. I really loved that tone but the DSL wasn't mine-when the band broke up I went back to using my Twin.

12. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

For a pure boost, I used to use a Nick Greer Sonic Boom into the green(crunch) channel on the DSL I had. It sounded great - thick and juicy like a slab of meat.

13. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Marshall Guv'nor.

:)

(The new one.)

Sounds too obvious, but actually a friend of mine used to do this - he much preferred the Guv'nor overdrive to the amp's other channel, which he used purely for a louder 'solo' sound with no more distortion than the clean one.

He later replaced the Marshall with a Mesa Trem-o-verb but still uses the Guv'nor for his 'Marshall' sound.

14. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Thought about using the Red Channel for leads, but there's a slight delay and loss of OOMPH when switching to that channel.

So I use the MXR in the loop to boost for leads.

Lots of choices here...Pedals are way too subjective in this case.

I think I have a good choice for hard rock with the Keeley SD-1, but am now wondering if I should look for more of a distortion pedal for AIC Dirt tones in a box.

Any thoughts?

15. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

I'm looking at the following, and it's kind of obsure:

OCD, Mi Audio Crunch Box and Keeley MT-2

Based on what I've read, here's my reasoning:

The OCD is a good boost, like the SD-1, but more range and more transparent.

The Crunch Box is a Marshall in a pedal, and more of a distortion, but can be used as a boost, or could possibly boost my Green Channel into AIC or Tool territory, depending on how I set up the amps gain and volume...I THINK!

I got the MT-2 my junior year in high school RIGHT when they came out and loved it...I also was into Dimebag and Metallica back then. Got older and realized how much it sucked and accidentally trashed it. I liked the clips I heard online, and I dug the tones I heard online. I've heard a modded version by Indy, Keeley or Analogue man are all an improvement if you thought the original had a good foundation, which I did. Plus, it seems like this pedal could do some AIC and Tool through a total clean, which on my DSL is pretty good.

SO, I have a Trifecta, a Keeley SD-1, and I may get two of the three mentioned above.

Any help?

16. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

That's what I do. However, mine doesn't have that latency that seems to be in some of the models. So I see why you would want to use a boost. The only thing is that you will have to kick on two pedals when switching to lead, your EQ (in the loop) and your front end boost. :(

That channel switching latency is a real bummer. I made sure I tried a couple of them out to make sure I got a good one. About half of the models I tried had it. Marshall really needs to improve their QC.:mad:

17. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Well, for most songs, I can keep the SD-1 on and roll back on my guitar's volume, so that one can stay on...If I'm playing a song where the SD-1 isn't needed, I just click it on for leads...But you're right, it does kind of make it difficult.

Thanks for chiming in!