best boost pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rich p., Feb 3, 2006.

1. rich p.

rich p. Member

I have narrowed down to the burriss boostier, keeley katana, or rc boosts,what do you recommend.I need one for eveything including solos to replace a ts-9. Rich P.

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

If you're using single coils give the Fatboost a chance. They surface for cheap used. Eggsellent pedal.

3. muddy

muddy Member

pro analog power driver. a GREAT boost WITH usable eq, that'll turn into the best si fuzz you ever heard if you turn the gain past 3:00. this will do a dime-on replication of a z-vex sho, too.

ml

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I found the SPF (smart people factory) Ego Boost to be incredibly transparent and had a useable EQ. oh and it boosts a ton
    If you wanted something to color your sound, I'd recommend a Phat Boost by CMATMODS (heck his phat boost is so affordable just get one to try :D )

5. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

6. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Time Machine Boost

7. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

I use and love my Keeley Katana. It adds boost and really sweetens the sound of my EL84 amp. I almost want to run it on all the time. With the Katana, you can also pull out the pot to add a little "hair, or dirt" to your tone and it's the size of an MXR single box.

8. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I'll second the Fulltone Fatboost. Good stuff. Another pedal I've used for this actually is the Toadworks Mr. Squishy. It's actually a compressor, but with a HUGE amount of available level gain (not distortion). It's also got a very broad sweetp as far as tone control. I've found it can add something really good to my overall sound.

9. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I love my AC boost for doing a solo boost into an already overdriven tube amp
    I A/Bed the AC and RC and decided to go with the AC

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

IF you are looking to replace a Tubescreamer, why not get the Burriss Boostiest? Has a TS side and a Boost side.

I love my dreamtone magic boost 2 and original magic boost.

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The catalinbread super chile picoso will blow your socks off. Check it out

12. playon

playon Supporting Member

I think both the SexDrive and the Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso sound a lot better than the RC Booster. The RC sounds a bit sterile to me. The Catalinbread pedal was the one I kept, I thought it sounded the best, plus it's simple and not too expensive.

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

+1 on the Chili, really nice boost.

But as for "best clean boost", if hundreds of testimonials count, I'd have to guess Klon Centaur. (having severe Klon GAS)

14. johndara

johndara Member

Burriss Boostier, runs at 18 volts internally, so much more headroom than most other boosts. I run my Fulltone Fat Boost before my overdrives to thicken them up for solos and put the Boostier at the end right before my amp to boost overall volume...serious volume and with the input knob you can even add a little dirt if needed. I keep my input knob at noon and sounds awesome!! Trust me on this one...(do I even know you??) :p

15. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

My nod goes to the burriss boostier, which I have. It is not the most appealing in looks, but it deliver EXCELLENT boost! My background on boosts: I compare to AC and RC boosters (had both for about a year); Klon (had it for about 6 years); and, many/many others. The Burriss Boostier nailed (IMO) what a fantastic boost should do (yes, better than the Klon). The Burriss Boostier can give go a little hair if desired but what it does supremely is boost your signal. Very clean.

16. aquadog

aquadog Member

lovepedal twin or deluxe sixty

17. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Having owned a Fulltone FatBoost, a Durham Electronics Sexdrive and an RC Booster my vote goes to the RC. I had the chance to compare all three again yesterday and for me the RC works best.

I use a Tele and mostly on the bridge pickup, and find the SexDrive justa little hard & bright but only just! The FatBoost on the other hand thickens too much for my setup. I would say that for humbuckers or if you like a lot of strat neck pickup tone then the SexDrive would be the one I'd choose. I would agree the RC is a bit more refined or 'clinical' but using after other pedals that doesn't bother me. I could easily own RC and SexDrive, use the RC as an overall rig conditioner and the SexDrive if I wanted a slightly grittier, more agressive boost.

They're both fine products.

18. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Fulltone FatBoost...great with single coils.

19. rewog

rewog Member

If you are looking to replace a Tubescreamer with a boost, you probably want something with a bit of a "flavor" to it as opposed to a clean boost (unless you have an amazing amp with all the tone you want).
    My choice in that situation is the ToneFactor Hellbaby. Just enough mids to make it sound great without being too colored, and great sustain.
    It can definitely do those screaming lead tones.. ala Tubescreamer.