Best "boutique" channel switcher?

markom89

I'm wondering what you guys consider to be the best boutique channel switching amp out there right now. Has to have good cleans and obviously great low-high gain sounds. I'd like something with an fx loop for once, maybe (but it's not a must), and has to take pedals well :) Can be head or combo. What do you guys think?

Carol Ann
Glaswerks
Bludotone
Elmwood
etc...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Marko M.

highgeer

Gold Supporting Member
Three additional amps come to mind.

Rivera Venus 6
Guytron GT-100 FV and the original
Custom Audio Amps OD-100 (especially the SE+)

Mike

mountain blues

Gold Supporting Member
I'm going to throw in a plug for the Fargen 6L6 Dual Classic.

Super Reverb in one channel, Bassman into JTM45 in the other... if those are the tones you love, this amp delivers beautiful tone. Run the separate channels with an ABY box, and the two combined is unreal.

Oops, just reread it your post... no high gain here unless a gorgeously cranked JTM45 kind of gain is what your looking for. Oh well. :)

guitarvc

The Egnater Mod 50 is the best one I have ever owned or heard. It is both versatile and tonally inceredable!

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Two Rock Jet, CR Sig V1 or 2, many Two Rocks
Aiken Sabre
Rvera M-60, Fandango, Venus

Tokyo tapes

VHT SigX
The new Mad Professor 2 channel.
Cameron CCV-100

These where the best sounding amps at the NAMM Show (imo)

gregc

Silver Supporting Member
Here's a channel switcher that's a gigging man's best pal: ENGL Blackmore, and here's why..... 100W great spanky clean at almost any volume you might need; footswitchable to make the clean channel a rhythm-crunch machine. Channel 2: great lead tones, footswitchable to add even more boost for 'over the top' lead tones. Footswitchable mid-boost is great for fattening up leads. 2, yes, 2 master volumes, footswitchable and can be used with either/both channels. If, like me, you play covers, and cover a LOT of ground, it's a life saver and keeps the pedal count down.

Troser

Not many dollars but-

VHT Pitbull 45
I've had the head version, and the 1-12" combo, and also played through the 4-10" combo

I went on a search for the lightest (in weight), most portable, small hard rock/metal combo a few years back. Subway Rocket sounded decent, and was very light, but had no balls at all and not much volume. Mark series are great, but heavy as hell... the Marshall 6100 series Anniversary combo was probably the best-sounding, but heavier still than the Mesas... same with an old JCM 800 1-12", etc. The closest I could get was the 1-12" Pittbull 45; it had lots of drive, good channels, and was light, comparatively... but it still had NO bottom end. The open-back cab just kills any hope of bottom end on a little combo, and the el84's don't help, either.

For a lightweight, portable channel-switcher, it ranks pretty high, though. And fairly affordable.

Trending Topics