Best "boutique" TS9?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by arexjay, Mar 18, 2006.

1. arexjay

arexjay Member

I'm looking to sell my FD-2 and get a TS9 type pedal for my strat. I've been looking at either the MJM Blues Devil or the Menatone Red Snapper, but that about all I've looked into so far. PS - maybe even a Blues Pro to go with the Crunch Box I ordered.

I play in an indie rock type of band, and play blues at home. To be honest, I don't really know what kind of variation of the TS9 I want it to sound like (cut bass, heavy bass, etc.).

So, what else is there out there to choose from? What do you guys play? What's your favorite? And most importantly, WHY?! :confused:

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Those are all GREAT choices.... LOL Personally, I love the red snapper and the ZIM.

3. dosmun

dosmun Member

4. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

I think the FD2 does the TS9-thing pretty well. The RedSnapper doesn't have much in common with a TS9; the Snapper has no midhump, less / almost no bass-cut and is more "transparant" ;-)

5. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

My friend just got rid of his for the timmy. Though the timmy had more gain it cleans up well for lead work. I knoe the timmy is a three month wait, but I just got mine yesterday and I would've waited a another 3 months for it. BUT If you want a tubescreamer sound, I would suggest DGTM (pedalgeek.com sell it). Its awesome, just not a fan of that mid hump sound. Its my favorite out of the tubescreamer clones.

6. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Check out the Dreamtone clones they sound very good for the price

7. jj jafar

jj jafar Member

Whats DGTM?JJ

8. arexjay

arexjay Member

Seriously? I could've sworn it was the other way around.... At least from what I've heard other people say. Can anyone else comfirm this?

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you want the TS9 midhump/bass reduction thing with more flexibility-get the Zim with an H9 card and any other card of your choice. Put the H9 in #2 where you have the semi-parametric EQ to work with-very cool, not noisy and very flexible.

The Timmy is NOTHING like a TS9 but a great, transparent drive pedal. Other cool TS9 options: Sparkledrive (adds in some clean for less bass loss), Barber TonePump (similar to the FD2), TS10/SD9/SD10/SM10-various flavors of original Ibanez pedals with some significant mojo.

10. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

Fulldrive=tubescreamer with more options (boost channel, clean boost mode) and slightly fuller sound.

My personal fave is the pedalworx Texas Two Step II. Less smooth than the Fulldrive. Just a better pedal to my ears.

11. drolling

drolling Member

For the straight-up TS tones, it really is hard to beat the MJM BluesDevil. True-bypassed, w/a hair more gain than a stock 808, it's the only pedal I use between a fralin loaded 50s strat & a '63 vibroverb when I need *that* sound:RoCkIn

12. arexjay

arexjay Member

This may be what I end up doing, except maybe the B9 card instead. But yeah, seems like the most palpable choice so far.

EDIT - think I'll stick with and H9 and either the CS or VT.

13. Pearly Grapes

Pearly Grapes Member

How about the Maxon 808?

PG

14. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

15. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yes, I can confirm this :) Thats what Dosmun's :jo was for (i think) because the Fulldrive IS a TS-9. I believe at least in the early models all it was was the TS-9 (or 808) with the gain removed, then when you hit the "boost" it put the gain back into the circuit. Upgraded parts and true bypass of course made the unit sound a little better and harmonically rich. TB alone makes the TS circuit have a little more gain (when the buffer is removed).

ALL IIRC

16. msp

msp Member

i don't know how this could have been overlooked but i'm a big fan of cusack's pedals

he makes an incredible 808/ts-9 clone called the screamer (its very affordable) and another one with a twist called the screamer fuzz which is great

i highly recomend them i have owned a dozen or so ts-9s (well variations and mods....and even 10 years ago i had one of the ultra cheapo soundtank ts-9 pedals....i don't think the barber tone pump is a ts-9 variation though it certainly can get in that realm ...i might be wrong but i own the tonepump II and i don't think its a 808 variation but i am just talking from experience and don't have enough knowledge of circuitry to identify anything more than the chip used)

regardless 808 seekers should definately consider cusack

17. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I was in the same situation with my FD2, Got an eternity and a homebrew power sceamer. I run the eternity all the time and hit the power screamer with it for some grit plus you have a boost like the FD for a little bit more.The variations between these 2 are endless and I'm still tweeking daily, but in a good kind of way.

18. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

blues devil is hand to point and KILLER sounding. Has that bloom in the single notes ( you probably know how important that is 'live), and the gravely sound that the new ts9 or od9 ,ts808 or od808 or od 820 do not have

19. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

PHI Scion 3 - very rich sounding pedal, I really like mine, kind of expensive though, about $270. Supposedly they sound something like the Landgraf Overdrive. I've never played through a Landgraf so I don't know if that's the case. Available through Bananas at Large.

TGP member "guitonit" is the builder.

20. dividedsky

dividedsky Member