Best Boutique Web Site

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sammy, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Sammy

Sammy Member

After posting a thread on here re boost pedals I found the Xotic website which features some amazing video clips on the site of their pedals. After listening I was sold and have just orderd the RC Boost.

Its a pity more effects and amp builders don't put video clips of their equipment on their web sites as many of us are unable to try the goods before buying and I have got to admit this definately swung it for me.

Xotic have done a fantastic job on this. Its not just one guy going through the motions and putting it through a ream of racks so you can't really decide if its the pedal sound or not, or a saying Strat used on the sound clip but don't actually mention its got a super power humbucker in the bridge position which was used for the demo! Xotic have a whole host of different musicians showing the pedals from jazz to heavy metal and from going straight into the amp or through a vast of other pedals so everyone is catered for and you can see if it works with your kind of music. Plus being video you can actually see what they are using.

I know Carr have some video sound clips of their amps another item which I bought two years ago, the Rambler, but what other makers really show off their wares! Most web sites as mentioned above have a few cheesy demo sound clips, if any at all, and expect us to take their word that their items are the dogs b........s and they don't really need to bother to show us what the amp/pedal really sounds like, we should just buy it!

Full credit to Xotic by far the best site I have come across, others should take note.

Any other sites out there to rival Xotic?

Sammy

2. JimVW

JimVW Member

I haven't seen the Xotic site yet, but Z.Vex does a pretty good job with video demos. www.zvex.com

3. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Member

Both the Xotic and Z.Vex sites are very helpful. I would say my only complaint with the Xotic site is that your hearing the guitar from a somewhat "far" mic, the Z.Vex is much closer. I was much more impressed with the AC booster sound in person compared to the web clips. Still they do give a decent tonal reference.

All in all, way better than than my salesman days of being asked to play a guitar over the telephone for a customer.

congrats on the RC, I think all of the Xotic stuff is great.

joe

4. msp

msp Member

the xotics robotalk demos are sick

they sold me.....(at least untill the new subdecay ef/sample hold is out)

5. gururyan

gururyan Member

You can find good video samples of some effects at bananas and musictoyz as well.

6. playon

playon Supporting Member

7. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

mine is probably one of the worst... although i did clean it up recently.

I really dig the zvex site.

monkeyfx.co.uk a pretty entertaining site...

Full tone could be really cool if they would buy some more bandwidth... i have a 4mbps cable connection and it takes a minute for a page to load.

pigtronics has a really cool video on their phaser, but dont remember the actual website.

8. Sammy

Sammy Member

I looked at the Zvex site and two problems.

First takes an age to download the video I could almost go and make a cup of tea while waiting!

Second its good to see the pedals up close, once the hand gets out of the way! but you have no idea what guitars are being used, is it going through a rack system, valve amp, tranny or what? All of which can alter the sound!

Sammy

9. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

The Xotic and ZVex sites are the best. So are the soundfiles on buildyourownclone

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Mi audio has VERY helpful soundclips and descriptions.

11. msp

msp Member

yeah brian

the pigtronix demos really showcase the ep-1
    ............so are you gonna step up and give us a video demo now?? :p

12. woude

woude Member

zvex is overall the best imo. Nice photos, nice videos and a really strong layout with all the pedals next to each other on a black background.

fulltone has nice samples, nice photos, layout is not so good. Xotic is the same but has amazing videos.

I designed www.gvees.com last fall. It's a dutch pedal importer/retailer website. What do you guys think? It's still not entirely finished, but that's because the owner is busy adding pedals and movies. Should be finished soon though.

13. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

Overall I like the visual style, but the page content is buried below the fold. You might want to consider moving to a more conventional fixed and zoomable product shot below or besides the body copy. Right now to get to the nuts and bolts of things, at 1024x768 (hands down the most common resolution these days), you have to scroll to get to any sort of text.

I'm also a bit curious why you optimized the site for 1152x864 resolution. I realize it's between the two most common resolutions, but I've always found that designing for 1024 gives me plenty of visual real estate.

Definitely some nice work. Very distinct style and very tasteful use of Flash.

- Nathan

14. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

15. Sammy

Sammy Member

Quite a nice web site, I like it different to the normal run of the mill.

When are the videos going to be done!

Sammy

16. woude

woude Member

Thanks. The owner operates the website, I made the templates for him. He apparently changed the optimized size from 1024 to 1152 but I have no clue why. :NUTS (It said 1024 earlier) I designed it for 1280 primarily but 1024 is possible too. But I'm not trained as a webdesigner, so I do things in maybe not the most conventional and practical way...

I chose for a different approach from that of a webshop. This is my 'retail theater' approach. Spreading the GAS is the first objective. I've only seen Klon doing the same kind of thing with their website. Pedal = art, not just metal box with knobs. Wires inside = art, not just the connections between components.

17. woude

woude Member

Thanks. I'm not the guy making the videos, but I think quite soon...

18. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

Well i have a video camera, and some guitar buddies that could help me out... only problem is most of them dont get up until 1pm... I also need to work something out with my current host, because I am only allowed 6gb of bandwitdth per month... It was supposed to get upgraded a couple months ago, but so far it hasnt changed. Ive come dangerously close to exceeding it in the last four or five months or so...

The other problem is that im getting ready to sell my house, and move to a different city, so lately time has been tough to come by. I have lived in this house for about 5 years, and seem to have accumulated a lot of junk that I need to sort through.

---------

anyways another cool site... not really a maker, but a retailer is buzzfox.com. Its not really so much useful as just interesting... you can check different settings on the pedals, but not all of them are set up.