Best bridge "trem-blocker" for a strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by somecafone, Aug 13, 2006.

1. somecafone

somecafone Member

Does anybody use any sort of trem-blocker on their strats?

Pros and cons?
    I'm hoping to find one that is easy to engage/disengage or turn on/off?
    Does that make sense?

2. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

http://www.tremol-no.com/

I will be going with one of these when I take my S500 in. I don't like to do much on my guitar (no time, two kids under 7 years old, blah, blah, blah), but this one looks super easy in the online how to video.

http://www.freelok.com/main.htm

This one looks much less sophisticated, but workable as well. I'm going with tremol-no

3. PFCG

PFCG Member

everyone uses these deals for a blocker, i use.....

drum roll please...

A 9 Volt Battery!

works like a charm, or use a block of wood.

4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

actually, I currently use a small block of maple, sanded down to fit tight. I'd just like the ability to make it functional on the fly without the possibility of losing my block! It wasn't exactly alot of work to make, but I was a little anal about getting it just right, and don't want to have to do it again!

5. somecafone

somecafone Member

Where abouts in the cavity do you place a 9V or block of maple?
    Does flame, birdseye, or spalted affect the tone? :D

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Whatever you do, stay away from mahogany!:p

7. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Basically you can use anything that fits, including stacked quarters! I chose a piece of hard maple, on the theory that something softer like home depot grade pine could absorb more vibration and deaden the sound, so ironically if I had to I would chose maple in the order you listed if I had to use fancy:) Take the trem cavity cover off and look inside the back of your guitar, blocking towards the rear of the guitar keeps you from dropping down in pitch, in front keeps you from raising pitch. I personally pay more attention to fit in the front, as I don't want the springs to pull things sharp if I break a string, or when I lower string tension for alternate tunings.

Lots of folks believe that if you are going to permanently block your trem with wood, put all the extra/spare springs on the trem after you're done! They feel it acts like a reverb/echo chamber and adds tone. I don't know if that's true, but you sure won't lose the springs if they are in the guitar!

8. somecafone

somecafone Member

Perhaps I wasn't clear enought in my original or subsequent posts.

I am looking for something that I can pop in/out or off/on, so that I can still trem when I want to, and do altered tunings/pedal steel things accurately.

9. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Perhaps you didn't click on the links I provided in response to your initial post which was indeed read thouroughly, given deep thouht, and responded to with alacrity and clarity. :Spank