• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best Budget 4-string bass?

Trotter

I'm a guitar player but would like to get a decent bass without dropping a lot of coin.

What do you guys think is the best budget bass out there (new or used). I'm mostly looking to play classic to modern rock

Thanks in advance.

mertzy

What's a lot of coin? I recently picked up a used SX PB for $125. It's a great value. They can be had new at Rondo for the same price.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
The SX basses are without peer. Best bang for the buck period. rondomusic.com

guitargod0dmw

I prefer the Squier Vintage Modified stuff over SX...but they are a little more expensive.

Either one will do you just fine...

Squier VM stuff is...the STUFF! I've got a fretless J-Bass, and the VM that looks like the old precision. Good machines, right out of the box!

Trotter

Thanks guys! A friend of mine recently bought a Squire VM and was telling me how great it is. I went down to a local shop and tried one... wow! You guys are right! That's a lot of guitar for the money.

I just ordered one from Woodwind and Brasswind with the 20% off coupon they have today. The total was $239 shipped! Thanks again guys!

A440

Silver Supporting Member
sorry I'm late to the party..

guild pilot basses can be found pretty cheap on the used market

also the Dearmond version of the same bass. I got mine yrs ago on a blowout deal at Sam Ash. I think they made 4, and 5 string versions. some bolt-on and some neck-thru. nice quality for the coin. mine is a more basic 4 string bolt-on with active pickups.

Chuck King

Thanks guys! A friend of mine recently bought a Squire VM and was telling me how great it is. I went down to a local shop and tried one... wow! You guys are right! That's a lot of guitar for the money.

I just ordered one from Woodwind and Brasswind with the 20% off coupon they have today. The total was $239 shipped! Thanks again guys!
If that goes through, you REALLY scored, since according to the fine print on that offer, Squier (and about two hundred (not exaggerating) other brands) are excluded. Good luck!

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Perhaps I am in the minority, but every SX I have played I found to be better than the Squire. The Squire is nice, and can be found at every GC, but I think the SX has them beat, and with more configuration options.

Having said that, $239 shipped is a better price for that bass than any other I have seen. Enjoy!

JM_of_BOFP

Honestly, they are a little small, but the Gretch electromatic bass is amazing for the price. 30" neck, so there's that, but the mahogany with that one pickup is a force to be reckoned with.

StuntHunt

I haven't tried SX, but I've been playing thru a Carvin B4 for 8 years, and it plays great. Cheap to buy, decent active electronics, and a great neck. Growls a bit like a Jazz, but really has it's own thing going. My band mates like the sound, and it gets a big variety of tones.

B18ontop

Im a guitar player that was a small studio. I needed a bass to lay down ideas. I got a used cream mexican fender P bass. I love it. sound and plays great. One could be had for pretty cheap on craigslist.

-Aaron

thesedaze

Just got an SX Short Scale P Bass...White w/ the rosewood board. I got a Gotoh 201 bridge for it, some Rotosound short scale flatwound strings, a vintage p bass wiring kit from mojo musical supply, a Kent Armstrong pickup, and some left over knobs from a 50s fender lapsteel. Might need new tuners, but not certain yet. I'll go for some Gotoh G9's if that's the case. The bass hasn't arrived yet, but Chris Siegmund will be doing all the upgrades for me.

All in all, that's still about under the price of a Squire, and I'll be getting a pretty fresh sounding/playing bass out of it. I plan to mainly just use it for recording.

Trending Topics