1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Best budget bass + rig for recording/possible gigs

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by weshunter, May 17, 2011.

1. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

I play guitar but am looking to grab a decent bass setup for recording and possibly gigging. I've got an idea of how I think I should go, but thought I'd check with some bass experts.

my plan is to look at and play some used MIA Peavey basses, Squire Classic Vibes, and Ibanez basses and try to find something in the 2-300 range. are these good options? is there something better or just as good and cheaper? i'd rather not have to do a ton of pickup switching and modding.

then I was thinking I'd go with a Tech 21 SansAmp. I've had the Blonde for guitar and liked it pretty well and have played with a bass player who used one direct into the PA with a small amp for his own monitoring and it sounded pretty good. I also thought this would be a good thing to have for recording bass.

My worry, though, is that if I try to use this rig to pick up a bass gig here and there and there's not a good PA setup, I wouldn't really be able to swing it. I wonder if there's a budget amp that could hold its own on a gig if need be and/or serve as monitor w/the SansAmp. any ideas here?

2. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I'd look for a used mim fender jazz. You simply cannot go wrong there. Those others will pale in its presence.

3. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

used mim Jazz and a used Peavey TKO.

4. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Find one with P/J pups, and for an amp, the acoustic B200 wouldn't be a bad start.

These can be had for ~$500 or less for both if you look , and don't mind used. Even new, these are good bang for the buck. The P/J will give you more tones(not to mention ballsier) than a JJ or Jazz setup.

5. weshunter

what exactly are P/J pickups? i've seen this mentioned on here a few times but don't know enough about bass to know what it means

6. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

A P(recision) bass has the two offset half width sections. A J(azz) bass has two long thin pups. A P/J has one of each with the Jazz pup closest to the bridge.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  7. weshunter

8. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

Get a used SX bass + used GK 800 or a similar amp + Avatar 2x12 cab.

9. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Yeah I had a peavey tko once. It's a thumper.
    I've seen them go for $100. Great amp.

10. weshunter

wow - 100 bucks and it's got a 15 - that might be the ticket for the amp.

those SX basses look awesome but they seem too good to be true. i'm sort of leaning that way as of now. might have to upgrade the pups or something, but they look awesome. and they're so cheap new, I might just get a new one.

what about the sansamp? is that worth it to get? will i get better tones out of that then i would going straight into logic from a tube preamp channel strip?

11. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

Many musicians use SX bass guitars for gigs, they work just fine. I paid mine off with 1.5 gigs and been laughing to the bank ever since.

I would recommend getting a 300-500W bass amp, anything less wattage and you will have a hard time competing with a drummer/guitar player unless you use a PA for your bass sound.

12. weshunter

wow, there's a lot of heated debate at the talkbass forum about these SX basses - tough to get an opinion that seems credible. still, most of the hate seems to be b/c of the headstock, which i don't care too much about. i could get a used on evilbay for the same price as a new one but with the old headstock, but that kinda seems stupid to me. i'm leaning toward this one:

http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2rnashna.html

mainly b/c i like the rosewood fretboard - if i need to replace the pickups, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but hopefully i could record with it stock.

any opinions on the sansamp? better than straight line into Logic? worth it for gigging?

13. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Some kind of pre or nice DI would be beneficial going into logic. A lot of interfaces have a hi-z guitar input but they are mostly crap. I've got a BBE BMAX T I plug into before I go into Logic. That may be a bit pricier than you want to go. But a decent DI box can be had for less than $100. Or if the amp you end up getting has a decent DI that might not be bad either.

14. weshunter

i'm using an apogee duet as my logic interface. i also have an ART Pro Tube Channel Strip with tube pre, compression, and EQ that I sometimes use as a mic pre -- I wonder if I could get just as good results with that as with a sansamp

15. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

The Duet sounds great and the Art gives you some other nice options. You'll get by without the Sansamp although more toys are never a bad thing.

16. CA_Dan

CA_Dan Member

I picked up an SX P/J and swapped the pickups to a set of boutique nordstrands. Figured with what I saved on the bass I could spring for some nice pups. Anyway - I couldn't be happier. And I tried A LOT of low priced new and used basses before picking up the SX. I can't help you with amps - I'm still in the hunt myself.

17. weshunter

i think I"m going to go the SX route - wish they still had the P/J's but alas .. think i'll go with the jazz

18. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

They have P/Js from time to time. Or look around for a used one from the talkbass.org forum (or local craigslist even that's maybe a more rare event to find one.)

I have one, they are *versatile*. The default pickups work just fine. I really haven't had a need to change them yet.

19. NashSG

NashSG Member

I've got both and you can't go wrong with a Sansamp or one of those ART channel strips. Both are good and handy tools.

20. weshunter

sweet - well hopefully that channel strip will do the job then, at least at first