Best budget midi controller with drum pads

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Unexplainedbacon, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Unexplainedbacon

Unexplainedbacon Supporting Member

I realize this isn’t the most original question but my needs are somewhat specific; I don’t care about having tons of knobs and features other than that the keys feel nice and the drum pads are responsive (aka doesn’t take too much pressure to trigger). I’ve been looking at the Alesis V49 but I hear the pads take some work to trigger. Under $200 new or used would be preferable, thanks for your input!

Edit: I’d prefer a 49 key variant

2. malachi1313

malachi1313 Member

I have the Alesis and its pretty responsive. I bought an MPK 249 but returned it because the pads were sucky. Exchanged it for the Alesis and it works great.

P.S. to clarify I have the Alesis VI49!!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Unexplainedbacon likes this.
  3. Unexplainedbacon

That’s good to hear, what was wrong with the MPK triggers?

4. malachi1313

malachi1313 Member

Really had to push on them to get them to trigger. They sell pad/trigger modifications and that solves the problem but by that time I was better off returning it and exchanging it for something newer. Also the MPK was really heavy. I like things being built well but that thing was just overkill. The Alesis VI49 is pretty awesome and I haven't had any problems with it.

5. Hired Goon

Hired Goon Gold Supporting Member

I've been very happy with the Nektar Impact LX88. I like the action on it. Has pads and faders, which I never use. Great price for an 88 key controller and seems a step up from the M-Audio stuff.

6. Unexplainedbacon

What DAW do you use? My understanding is the Nektar ones don’t work well with ProTools

7. Hired Goon

Hired Goon Gold Supporting Member