Best budget monitors

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Misericordiam, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Misericordiam

Misericordiam Member

I'm looking for a cheap set of monitors in the 100-150 range (for a pair). The M-Audio StudioPro 3s look pretty sweet for only 100 bucks but I can't find any reviews so I thought I would ask here. I also I'm going to be purchasing a mixer so if you have any suggestions on a mixer that has enough outs to record at least 4 tracks of drums at a time please let me know. I was looking at one of the 16 channel Behringers that seemed to be okay although there were quite a few reviews saying that channels tend to crap out on them.

2. Misericordiam

Misericordiam Member

Alrightey, thanks for the input.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

Another great option is a used pair of Tannoy PBM-6.5s. Probably w/in your pricerange.

Loudboy

4. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

I've heard some ppl say good things about the KRK line.

5. Aldwyn

Aldwyn Member

I have both a set of the M-Audio StudioPro 3s and KRK Rokit 8s.

If you were thinking of using the StudioPro 3s for your main monitors, I would recommend you don't! They are fine for listening to tunes, and for a sub mix. They are not good for your main monitors. They lack any decent bass responce. They have a bit of a rush on the mid and high end. They are pretty much souped up PC speakers, if you ask me!

The KRK Rokit 8s are great! But are out of your range, as they are $250 a peice.

It's a little out of your price range, but you may want to look at the Rokit 5s at $150 a peice, or the Rokit 6s at $200 a peice. You'll get much more of the spectrum with either of these drivers then with the M-Audio, or even the Rokit 5s. (never tried the 5s but have heard great things about them!)

Good luck!

6. roygbiv

roygbiv Member

I vote for the KRK RP5's. I have a set and love them.

7. retro

retro Member

Maybe good to know if you are looking for Active and/or Passive monitors?