Best Budget (under $500) Acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by humbert, Aug 15, 2006.

1. humbert

humbert Member

I'm a mostly electric player who wants to expand my vocabularity (and portability!) by picking up an acoustic guitar. Looking for something that is toneful, playable, and affordable. I don't mind buying a used guitar either to cut down on the price.

Any help would be appreciated -

Thanks guys.

-Tim

2. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Seagull S6 + cedar

3. Jeeves

Jeeves Member

I've tried a couple Seagull's and they've all been good.

Also, the Epihone Masterbuilt ef-500 series' are really nice, imo. I played a couple a while back and for about $550 it seemed like a great buy.

You just need to play a bunch of acoustics and see which one grabs you. Just make sure when you get one that you keep it properly humidified in the winter, if you live in a cold place. Nothing ruins a nice acoustic faster than dry winter air.

Good Luck - Acoustic guitars are addicting!

4. suttree

suttree Member

seagull +1

same company, different bracing and a smaller martin-esque neck: simon and patrick.

alvarez/yairi. the make some really nice guitars in the under $500 range, very playable.

cort. this is the factory that makes a large percentage of all the "great korean guitars" that are marketed under different brands.

entry level blueridges are in that range, too.

used, look for guilds, you should be able to find an older d series in that range.

yamaha "L" series stuff is incredible, and the resale ain't great, last i looked.

5. Big0range

Big0range Member

I'm sure I'll catch some crap for this, but I bought a Zager (basically a Sigma or Samik) and was quite impressed. It sounded great, and played great. PLUS, you can call or email the Zager folks and ask what one-offs they have. You'll save about $50 off the regular price. Plus plus, if you don't like the guitar, they pay for shipping both ways. And they have top-notch customer service. Finally, no - I do not work for them and they don't send me any referral money. I sent mine back because it was just one too many, but it was a fine instrument.

6. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Another vote for Seagull

Brett

7. Doug

Doug Member

Seagull does make a great guitar for the money. I have a Rosewood Artist, which was a bit more than $500, but it can hold its own against the big boys, IMO.

I'll probably get banned from the board for life for saying this, but for under $500 I really like the Martin DX1. I know, I know. It's not all solid wood, laminate back and sides, bonded neck, etc. I don't care. I helped my dad pick out one last year, and it's a great sounding guitar. Strummed or fingerpicked, the guitar sounds great. We tried it against a lot of guitars in and well above its price range, and we liked it the best by far. It doesn't have quite the volume and projection of the $2K+ models, but it really has a nice, full, deep sound that I like a lot.

8. PAF

PAF Member

Used Tacoma

9. Ryguy

Ryguy Member

For under 500 you can get a KILLER Yamaha orange label made from 1969-1971 in Japan (Nippon Gakki). They are based loosely on Martin's, and although not solid spruce tops AFAIK, they are very resonant and have a beautiful, well balanced tone. I have a owned one vintage Gibson, and a couple of really nice Guilds, and the Yamaha FG110 I have is easily on par with the others. IMHO you have to spend much more money to get a guitar with as nice a tone as these Japanese made Yamaha's have.

10. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

PAF has got it right, used Tacoma.

11. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

Another vote for:
    Seagull/Simon & Patrick, etc.
    Used Tacoma: I've seen some DM-9s go for less than $400 on eBay (when the sellers didn't set a higher reserve).
    Taylor Big Baby

12. silentstudios

silentstudios Member

+1 again to the seagull. I've got an S6 that I bought to keep in my vacation spot. It's incredible for the price.

In fact I'm seriously considering selling my mainstay larivee (paid $2000 for it in the early 90's) and buying another seagull S6. It'd be nice to put a G in the pocket. I just need to take some time to see how the S6 sounds on tape (the larivee rocks for recording).

Anyone had any experience recording with an S6?

13. astainback

astainback Member

I have an Alvarez Artist that cost under $500 (not sure exactly how much, it was a gift) that plays and sounds just as good as any acoustic that I have ever played. It has a perfect Satin neck, and a pickup for plugging in.
    I have a friend that has a really nice Takamine that he paid plenty for, and I think my Alvarez sounds just as good if not better.
    If you look up the reviews on HC, you will see that all the Alvarez acoustics get exceptional ratings.

Adrian

14. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Member

Most anything produced by Robert Godin - Seagull, Simon & Patrick, or Norman. Exceptional value for wonderfully toned and playing guitars. IMHO. YMMV.

15. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

Used Tacoma would be my first pick. A new Alvarez (MD series) would also be a great guitar.

16. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I`m a big fan of Yamaha. A new solid topped one will cost about $300-400. They get better but these are great. 450S series.

17. cordroad

cordroad Member

Just played a Walden Natura series G570 last nite and bought it. I was amazed at the balanced sound and volume this guitar has for right around $200 brand new. Body style is what Walden calls a grand auditorium with a solid cedar top. Check the Walden line.

18. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm suprised we are not seeing more Alvarez. For the money they seem great.

19. tot_Ou_tard

tot_Ou_tard Member

Are there clear differences between the Seagull line, the S&P line, and the Norman line of Godin guitars?

If so could you describe these?

Thanks!

20. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Although i havent played one yet, the offshore built Breedloves look nice. Some of them fall in that price range, and ive read good reviews....