Best Buffer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rogerramjett, May 19, 2008.

1. rogerramjett

rogerramjett Supporting Member

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to pick up a buffer for my board and I'm looking for some advice from guys who have tried out several different options.

I've heard that the Axess colors your tone too much and their website says it should be used w/a $150 power supply!

I'm looking for the PUREST buffer and if it has a boost switch, the PUREST boost as well.

I'm considering the WOBO Buffer/Booster, Radial BigShot PB1 and the Barber Launch Pad.

Again - I'm looking for advice from guys who have tried more than one of these and can speak with some comparative knowledge and wisdom. This is NOT a contest to recommend the rarest buffer pedal in existence!

Enlighten me, O wise ones! :JAM

2. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Member

I haven't tried any other buffers accept my PB1, which I got about a month ago, but I will vouch for it. I'm quite happy with it and I haven't picked up any noticeable tone change when I kick it in.

3. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

Ladys and gentlemen...

The one and only...Michael Buffer!!!

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

The Axess sounds great, as close to transparent as things get, doesn't color the tone. It works on any non-switching 9vdc tip negative supply, from the $150 Pedal Power 2 to a regular Boss PSA1.

If you just want a buffer, that's my recommendation. I've tried a shitload, and I design audio circuits myself. If I wasn't impressed with the BS2 I'd be selling a standalone buffer myself.

5. benjammin

benjammin Member

The sheer number of Boost'n'Buffs I see on people's boards in the Pedalboard photo thread speaks volumes to its quality/price.

6. readymade

readymade Supporting Member

I got the Wobo used for a great price, and I like it a lot.

7. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

what about the lovepedal buffer?

8. rogerramjett

What is the LovePedal buffer - there's no buffer listed on their website...

9. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

10. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Axess BS2 or GigRig Humdinger(thegigrig.com)

11. rogerramjett

It turns out Steve is still making the MicroBuffer! I emailed him directly and picked one up for $40 brand new and shipped. I don't think you can beat something with that small of a footprint and that clear of a tone. Thanks for the feedback!

12. pfender

pfender Member

Hey guys,

I use a '67 Silverface Princeton Reverb, and now that I'm looking at buffers I keep hearing things about a phase switcher for Fender SF and BF amps. what is that? is this something I need to be concerned about? I want a dedicated buffer (no boost, no EQ, just in and out) and was looking at the Doobtone MicroBuffer, Axess BS2, GigRig Humdinger, and the Lovetone Buffer. Advice, GO!

13. teleman55

teleman55 Member

How about a Boss pedal????

14. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I have a Doobtone buffer that works great... it's a simple Jack Orman (sp?) circuit from what I understand. I have also had great success with a booster running at unity gain.

but..... I wish that Carl Martin would make a stand-alone buffer because I think that theirs is the best I've ever ran in my chain. All of their 12v, internal power supply pedals have them and I think that their fantastic.

15. pbone

pbone Member

Buy a moog pedal. They have great buffer inside of them, as well as a clean boost ala the drive knob.

16. pdouds

pdouds Member

I Have A Vht Valvulator 1 , And It Is Nice, Bit It Has Too Big Of A Footprint For Me. I Have It Up On Evilbay Right Now.

17. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

MXR 401 with the gain on 0 is a very good buffer.

18. James

James Member

I use a CAE buffer that is similar to the Axxess buffer (maybe the same or similar circuit?). It's also a 1x2 splitter. I also like the Demeter Fat Control mid-boost/buffer.

19. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

From Jack's site (www.muzique.com), the germanium transistor buffer is great - warm tone, very easy build.