Best cab design for two alnico SRO 12's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TP Parter, Apr 8, 2015.

1. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

Hey all how's it going. Long time no post. :anon

So, I've recently come into two alnico SRO 12's. Unfortunately due to riffing in C# with my P90 LP > Octavio > HGWD NKT275 Sun Face they now are both recones, because I blew the first one I got within 45 minutes of loading it up the first time. However, after having that tone for 45 minutes I knew I needed to get it reconed.

The seller also had another SRO in much worse shape that already needed a recone, so I worked out a deal with him and he shipped it directly to Orange County Speaker and they did the recone and shipped it to me. After a little break in it sounds just as fantastic to my ears as the original. Like a warmer, but more aggressive EV12L.

I've never heard a speaker that sounded like it punched out every single ounce of tone your guitar/pedal/amp had without wasting a single watt due to inefficiency. The treble roll off is perfect, the bass is punchy and distinct without being too hard sounding.

So, I want to build a cab for them that will compliment them perfectly, but also work for stacking with my 4x12. I have a great cab already (Boogie halfback with the back sealed up on the top bout), but that won't stack well with my Recto Trad. 4x12 (Fane AXA12/G12H(55) loaded), and Tremoverb head.

I was thinking of building a theile 2x12, but could just do a ported or closed back, or maybe an diagonal OS 2x12 (ported or closed).

What do you guys think? Music played will be primarily heavier rock to metal. No death metal, well maybe some Entombed off the first couple albums, but other wise think more heavy blues based rock and metal. More stoner rock/metal then *insert generic bs*-core.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Well AlNiCos like to breath and just the speakers alone are going to be a bear, so you might want to go oval back for air and strength.

They will be darker in the deep Thiele cab, but still able to breath.

Everything needs to be stronger to support the weight of the speakers alone.

3. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

Btw, my other speakers are...

2 Mesa V30 and 2 EVM12L in a Lopo Sig 4x12
    Fane Medusa 30 and Fane Cresecendo in a Mesa open back 2x12 (my tremoverb's original combo chassis). The Crescendo is a one of a kind prototype for a speaker line never released, and looks basically a Studio 12L with a metal dustcap that has a hole in its center to smooth out the highs, and possibly a larger magnet. Incredible clean, but a little zingy with dirt.

4. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

Idk, my alnico Fanes sound much better for my needs in a closed back cab. In the open back cab they can be a little round and soft/indistinct on the lows when driven hard, and asked to handle some real booty. They also seem to lose presence/punch/cut, and that silky smooth treble and rich midrange grind lose their edge.

Also, keep in mind I'm going to be playing more agressive and heavy music, so Thump with a capital T is a good thing. ;)

I can see how they'd be perfect in a Vox combo in that regard, as the EL84's chime and grind would add it right back in, but 4 EL34's with a very thick tone (Systech Harmonic Energizer clone sometimes paired with a Keeley Java Boost into either my amp's clean or distortion channel set for a light crunch tone.

But for me, in a closed back cab they come alive, perfect amount of low end punch/bounce to mid-grind to air in the top. That cab with the Fanes and G12H(55)'s has the most perfect balance of warmth, punch, grind, and detail.

I'm not worried about the cab weight too much, I've got 2 EVM12L's in a 4x12 with my V30's. Now that cab's a bear. This will be a light load in comparison.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  5. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Reeves-Port City OS 2X12 Holds my EVM12L and my Medusa 150-C.
    Great cab and configuration.

The cab is only about 10" deep so not sure about SRO's fitting.

The port at the bottom gives it space.

Traditionally I guess they'd go in a Mesa Diesel 2X12 or 80's Road Ready

6. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

I'm going to experiment with them anyways. I'm going to try them out in the Boogie halfback with the top bout sealed, full open, and half sealed, I'll also try them out in my Lopo 4x12 with the V30's left in there to plug up the other holes, so it should be like a very large OS diagonal 2x12 in essence.

It's either that or a horizontal Theile 2x12.

I bet that Reeves sounds phenomenal.

7. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

I originally wanted a Medusa 150 C, but when the Crescendo came up I couldn't pass it up.

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

If you can get your hands on one, I'm certain you'll find a use for it!

9. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

LOL, I'm sure. In fact I'm thinking for general usage I'd be better served with the 150C. The Crescendo is wonderful clean, but for distortion/fuzz it's not the ideal sound. I'm thinking it could do better in a Theile cab by itself for mostly clean playing, and I can pair a 150C with the Medusa 30 (same speaker as the Medusa 100) I already have.

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

The 150-C sure does like playing with my EVM12L.
    Have the feeling you'll be moving stuff around just out of sheer curiosity.