Best cab w/ HiWatt Lead 20 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nickwoodswi, Dec 18, 2009.

1. nickwoodswi

nickwoodswi Member

Hi there - Can someone give me their advice on what speakers would be best matched with a HiWatt Lead 20 head? Just bought one for $775, and LOVED the sound through the Fernandes cab they had in the store.... Couldn't afford the grand they were looking to get for it though.

I'm probably going to buy an Avatar cab, but not sure whether the Vintage 30s I've always used will be the best... I play in a pop/punk band with a bassist that uses 2 8x10s, and another guitarist that uses a 50-watt Marshall JCM 900 half stack, set with the 24-watt switch on. So I need something as loud as possible, that'll still have some clarity for arpeggiated open chords and leads. Any recommendations?

2. mockoman

mockoman Member

Hey,you got it for a good price. I've had mine a few years now.

I bought a used,unloaded 1 X 12 Swanson cab (from the emporium here),that has matching HiWatt cosmetics.
    I ended up putting a Weber Blue Dog ceramic in it,I'm very satisfied.
    [​IMG]

But,if I needed maximum volume for it,I would use at least a 2 X 12. It sounds great through my StoneAge 2 X 12 cab, with 1 Vintage 30 & 1 G12H.

What speakers were in the Fernandes?

I'll bet a couple of Blues would sound great,and give you the most volume,but they are a little pricey...

Also,it sounds like your band is pretty loud? If so,this is what I do with an 18 or 20 watt amp...

bring more than one!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  3. nickwoodswi

nickwoodswi Member

not too sure what was in the fernandes... it was a closed back cab, and i knew i wouldn't be able to buy it so i didn't ask. thanks for the rec on the g12 and v30 - figured one of those two were my best bets.

4. playthecray

playthecray Member

How does the Goodsell Super 17 head compare to the HiWatt Custom 20? Don't mean to derail the thread but I am heavily considering the Goodsell. Thanks.

5. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Member

+1 on elaborate Hiwatt 20 review. Anything missing from it that you wish it had? That 1x12 cab is cute as a button! Reeves Custom Purples are great, but be prepared for a long break-in...

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

The 'Reeves cabs were designed in cooperation with Port City.
    Worth every penny in my opinion.

The vintage purple gets you that crisp clean Fane tone, but you're
    going to need to push the speaker HARD for a good 50 hours at full
    band volume to break it in.

With a 20 watt head, you can also try the amp through Greenbacks, Scumback M75-HP
    or a pair of Celestion Blues for a different flavor and chime.

If that's too much, look for a used Bogner Cube or OS 2X12 as an alternative.