BEST Cable for DIY 8-Channel DB25 Snake?

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
This will be for two separate DIY 8-channel D-Sub DB25 snake. 8-in / 8-out analog XLR patchbay in my studio desk. PC, display, monitors (shielded) are all arms length away.

--I'm not necessarily looking for something that has all the wires bound together, like the typical Mogami snake (though that's fine too).

--Brand/product recommendations that would be great. I don't need long leads, so I can spend a little on a quality product.

--What gauge wire would be the max to look for in order to get 8-channels-worth of wiring into a DB25 connector?

--Do I need to deal with star quad cable?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
Gotham Cable looks like they have some nice options, but I have no experience with them personally. I've used Canare (didn't like), Evidence Audio and Cardas Golden Chord for my balanced cable needs thus far. None of those manufacturers make a mini cable for this application. I'll have to check Sommer, Klotz, ?????

Rex Anderson

Gotham makes nice cable. Any reason you don't want to use Mogami? I made some snakes for analog audio using their AES snake cable. Very high quality.

Don't get caught up in the expensive high end cable snake oil. I was a professional recording and live sound engineer for 30+ years. I got recommendations from guys who made Grammy winning albums.

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
No reason other than due diligence. I use Mogami cables and like them just fine.

If Gotham makes a better cable at the same price, well sign me up. Or if it's about the same but easier to work with and handle on a regular basis, that counts too.

Rex Anderson

I think you would be splitting hairs choosing between Gotham and Mogami. Call Redco and see what they recommend.

Frankly, I'd just have them do the labor unless you just really like doing it. I made a zillion cables and finally got tired of doing it.

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
Yeah...let's file this under "overthought", shall we. I just bought some from Redco. Their branded stuff is Mogami cable Neutrik terminated. But I bet you knew that. The extra you pay for pre-assembly is minimal relative to the time and hassle to make one. I'll have to check out some of their other stuff. Downright reasonable.

So before I go making some longer microphone leads (40 feet-ish) that I also need...if all my gear is running through Mogami cable patchbayed, do I really need to bother with "better" microphone cable than some standard Mogami stuff. Do I need to pay deference to capacitance when looking at wire for cables this long? If I can get 99% of the performance from Mogami cable instead of Evidence Audio Forte (or whatever), then that'd be awesome.

loudboy

Yeah...let's file this under "overthought", shall we. I just bought some from Redco. Their branded stuff is Mogami cable Neutrik terminated. But I bet you knew that. The extra you pay for pre-assembly is minimal relative to the time and hassle to make one. I'll have to check out some of their other stuff. Downright reasonable.

So before I go making some longer microphone leads (40 feet-ish) that I also need...if all my gear is running through Mogami cable patchbayed, do I really need to bother with "better" microphone cable than some standard Mogami stuff. Do I need to pay deference to capacitance when looking at wire for cables this long? If I can get 99% of the performance from Mogami cable instead of Evidence Audio Forte (or whatever), then that'd be awesome.

I can reassure you that there will be no audible difference.

The only engineers who will tell you there is, are getting paid to do it.

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
I KNEW it! Capitalist pigs!

But yeah, I figured. I just needed validation. A little sad, but much cheaper ;)

Top Bottom