1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best cable for pedal board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 56_Special, Jun 26, 2006.

1. 56_Special

56_Special Member

What do you guys recommend? George L's seem popular although some complain about insufficient low end. What works for you? Thanks!

Martin

2. Old Believer

Old Believer Member

I like George L's. They work very well for a pedalboard.

3. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Evidence Melody.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

There is no "best". There is only what you like best.

I use George Ls, primarily because I can easily custom-wire with them. They're flexible, can be cut to the exact lengths I need, and the plugs can be installed at exactly the needed angle, with either angled or straight plugs, without twisting/stressing the wire.

I don't find the low end lacking, I find the high end detailed. But pronounced high end detail can mask low end response, so people sometimes say it's tilted toward the high end of the frequency spectrum.

It's all a matter of taste, however.

5. Jungleman

Jungleman Member

My thoughts exactly. I use George L for the exact same reasons.

6. carltonh

carltonh Member

GeorgeL's don't cut low end ... it is that they don't cut enough high end for some people's tastes. Plus some people report their right angle plugs are less reliable than their straight plugs.

Bill Lawrence cables are similar, but cheaper, and those who've used both think BL is more reliable. I'm using them now and they are great. No flaws except that I need more solderless ends. I've got enough cable. Bill doesn't use or have right angle plugs. Instead he has a short straigh plug that still works great for me. I can have pedals one inch apart and off center without cables being in the way.

7. radcliff

radcliff Member

I've been using the same George L's for 5 years without a single problem.

8. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Of course there's no best. I just wanted to know what you like best. --Martin

9. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

oh man, i'm running a tele through a hayseed w/ celestion alnico blues. do you think the george L's will be too bright? i can always roll off the tone knob

10. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Depends on what you want...do you want to make your own? In that case I would recommend George L's, although Planet Waves has a product now that competes with them - the debate is still out on which one may or may not sound better....and George L's constently get the comment that they are "bright"

11. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I just switched to Planet Waves after years of GLs.
    The ends may be a tad bigger, but they're so much easier to assemble, the cable is alot thicker, the sound is the same if not better to my ears and they seam alot more reliable. Time will tell.

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Planet waves are more expensive... I need to investigate the Bill Lawrence cable system... stompinground.com has pretty good deals on packages of george L connectors and GepCo pro cable, I think that's what I'll end up getting.

13. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I like the bill lawrence stuff, no right angles and short connectors...the cable seems like its made by the same people who do the GL stuff.

But if I could lock down a particular arrangement, I'd do mine in Evidence Lyric or Melody.

14. Layne-o

Layne-o Silver Supporting Member

Custom-made Mogami cables with Switchcraft ends are what I use. If you can solder, it's stupid cheap and can be cut to the exacting lengths needed.

15. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

George L's for me. Mostly because they're easy to cut to custom lengths.

16. dosmun

dosmun Member

I like the GL's. They are very convenient for a pedal board and the cable is nice and thin so it doesn't take up much space.

17. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Another cheap but quality option here is Canare which I feel sounds better than the Mogami at about the same price point. Love G&H connectors also.

18. LavaMan

Having spent quite a bit of time with cables in the past couple of years, the best all-around cable for pedal boards IMO is the Cardas Audio Golden Chord - you get the best of both worlds with this cable: superior sonic response and flexiblity. This cable is larger in diameter than the George L's but much more flexible and night-and-day better sounding.

19. Gil1

Gil1 Member

Does Gepco makes cable that works with George L ends?

20. LavaMan

No, but Belden does - its a 75 ohm coax - not sure which part#