Best cable solution for connecting pedals on a Pedaltrain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hecube, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Hecube

Hecube Senior Member

I need a good sensible solution, not too expensive, good sound quality, sturdy yet flexible.

What do you have?

2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Well...the pretty princess uses planet waves...solderless...can cut and connect them to fit so NO extra cable...sound better thhan any store bought soldered cable ive tried

3. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

I personally like George L's, some people don't and think they go bad, but I've been using them for years and years and I change my pedalboard around every few months. If they are put together right they don't go bad.

4. Hecube

Hecube Senior Member

I'm thinking about adding "HE IS A PRETTY PRINCESS" to my sig. Notwithstanding, thanks for the tip.

5. Mrmarshallhead

Mrmarshallhead Member

George L's for me too. I've made probably hundreds of patch cables and never had one fail. Anyone who finds them troublesome needs to work on their assembly technique.

One key piece of the process is a clean cut, without crushing the cable, you need to preserve its roundness.

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

Just a thought...why spend a lot of money on guitars...pickups...amps...speakers...tubes...picks etc.

And then skimp on cables?

IME it's an audible...noticeable difference and it all matters in the end and GL's are one of the worst choices one can make IMO...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. wopr

wopr Member

8. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Get the Lava pedalboard kit...huge tone difference, right angle or straight plugs available, unbelievable customer service!

9. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

That sounds like an expensive suggestion, don't you think? I am new to guitar and to this forum, but I can't imagine offering someone that type of suggestion without knowing more about their situation. Are they strictly a home player? If so, that is really too much money to be dropping on cables (for most people at least). Maybe I'm wrong though? Who knows. Just seems a bit high in price from a cost/benefit analysis for the normal person that visits these types of forums. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure these cables sound nice, otherwise why would anyone spend their money on these. Sorry for chiming in if it creates strife.

10. edgie

edgie Member

Get the Bullet Cables Connector Kit. They're very easy to assemble and I like the design. The allen screw(which also serves as the ground, I think) bites into the wire and serves as a pin so you're not depending on too much pressure to hold the cable in place and it will not allow the cable to twist and turn once it is secured.

11. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

To answer your question, our kit costs more because it is entirely made in the USA - both plugs and cable with the best copper available. We believe like any music product (or any product for that matter) you pay for what you get....

12. RSRD

RSRD Member

:bow

13. thesooze

thesooze Member

I had George L's for years and they kept crapping out.
    I use Lava's now, and they don't. :aok

14. jb4674

jb4674 Member

15. yasha

yasha Member

is it always better if its made in the USA?

16. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

In response to Lava being "expensive":

He mentioned he was looking for cables to go an a pedaltrain. While I personally own a pedaltrain they are hardly the cheapest thing out there. I can tell you I avoided Lava's for a long time as I thought George Ls were the best. If you never move your board or rearrange pedals George Ls are good. But if you play out and about and/or like to try out new pedal combos, Lava is the way to go. Lava cables are much easier to properly assemble as well.

17. Hecube

Hecube Senior Member

I've been looking at all the recommandations so far and I'm really leaning toward the Bullet kit. However, it's sold out on the main website and in every online store I've been looking at.

18. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

I shouldve mentioned that Lava has the smallest connectors as well. You can typically save enough space on your board using all Lava's miniELC to add another pedal to your board.

19. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Just to clarify that is the solid core heavy gauge instrument cable. Our Mini Soar patch cable made for boards and racks are 9.95ea. with G&H plugs. 6 to 24in same price.

20. wopr

wopr Member

Wow. I didn't mean to set off such a fire storm. I was just expressing my reaction to a recent upgrade.
    I should say that I upgraded all cables from my guitar, to my pedals, to my amp. So, I'm not just talking about a single patch cable upgrade.
    Also, looking back at the original post, he was concerned about budget cables, and maybe my suggestion was off. Sorry to all . . . that criticism is fair.
    Looks like the mini Soar may be the way to go. But, I don't have any personal experience with that cable.

But, on the other hand, I stick by my opinion because I consider the "soar" cables cheap with the result I got.
    I've read tons of cable talk on the forum, and I thought most "cable" talk was just hype. But the upgrade to all "soar" cables really made a difference to me.
    Some people here will spend a $100, $200, $500 on pickups hoping for some sonic change. They consider that cheap. In most cases, the pickup change is subtle at best.

Not so with the "soar" cables. The cable change to "soar" was an obvious upgrade to me.
    I guess I'm looking at bang for buck ratios. So, while the price may seem high to some, the obvious result was worth it to me.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012