• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best CD to Downlaod to introduce me to Les Paul's Music?

KSKONDOR

I'm sure it's a greatest hitx package or something but what you would buy if you wanted to be introduced to Les Pauls (the Man) music?
Thanks

mjm59

There was a great 4 disc set that came out in the 80's with most of the hits that he and Mary did for Capitol, this is a best of release of those discs. http://www.amazon.com/Best-Capitol-...1_118?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1328451727&sr=1-118

Whatever you buy, you should start your journey with 2 songs, Lover and Nola, both of which are contained on this disc. I don't see it for download, but you can buy it used for just over a dollar.

Next, you might wish to hear Les play guitar without all of the studio tricks that he made famous, you absolutely should seek out a copy of Chester and Lester, with Chet Atkins (a masterpiece) and look for recordings of The Les Paul Trio, they sound a great deal like The Nat Cole Trio.

stevel

I second this one as a good introduction. But it's worth digging deeper too.

Steve

KLB

While not a CD, and of lo-fi to mid-fi quality, check out the free (legal) Les Paul downloads at www.archive.org. Experiment with the Advanced Search tool to locate a variety of entertaining material with Les Paul, Mary Ford and others. Cheers.​

JSeth

I'd start with Chester and Lester... the sound quality is great and the playing is unbeatable! With a faceless Nashville rhythm section staying way out of the way, all you hear is Chet Atkins and Les Paul... and Les just tears it up!

I swear you can hear darn near every lick that modern players use, and have used , for the past 4 or 5 decades, all in Les' playing... his personality is kind of whacky, and it comes through his guitar in every tune...

Plus, the "off-mic" conversations are priceless! Nice to hear that these 2 old masters have a great sense of humor...

Unfortunately, the next record they did, "Guitar Monsters" is not nearly so accessable; apparently, Les had a bad cold and Chet put a lot of "production" into the record. I bought a "2 record" combination of both albums, back when I saw Les at Fat Tuesday's in the Village in the early 90's... and I was bummed that, in that version, most of the conversation between the 2 had been edited out...

All the compilation stuff is decent, but the sound quality is quite dated; still pretty amazing to hear what Les was doing, back in the 40's and 50's...

I think his PLAYING is way under-rated; I know he gets a ton of props for all his work with the electric guitar and recording inventions, but I really love his playing...

Trending Topics