Best Channel Switcher under 4K.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redplexi, Nov 21, 2005.

1. redplexi

redplexi Member

Whats your take on the Best Channel Switcher out there for under $4,000.00
    Qualifications Must be.

Tube Powered
    Clean Headroom Channel
    Good Rythm Crunch Channel to Searing Gain Metal.
    Articulate Lead Channel
    True by Pass
    Low noise Floor
    FX Loop
    Useable Master, or 1/2 Power Switch.
    Able to do Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock, Metal.

2. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

At $4,100, my vote goes for the Diezel Herbert. $100 over your budget, but can be found used for less. IMO, covers all of your prerequisites perfectly and then some. Simply an amazing amp. IMO, the best high-gain channel switcher ever.

3. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

+1 Deizel VH4 or Herbert. If you can get by with 2 channels CAE OD100. The boost function is like a 3rd channel. But the Diezels are more versatile.

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

http://www.zinky.com/superfly.html

Hands down. The most versatile. And no tweaking once you have it programmed in (you can't program EQ in the Herbert...my only beef.)

120 watts of headroom, 6 modes of gain. All love. Around $3500.00. Much cheaper if you can find a used one. (Bruce Zinky only keeps them that expensive because they are time consuming to build.) I found mine for about $2k.

EP

5. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Anybody have any clips of that Superfly?

6. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

not being on a downer here but ive been on this trail my friend and alls i can say is there is NO jack of all trades,i havnt played a 3 channel head or two channel that has impressed me or could take over the duties of a 2 or 3 amp rig..........YET!

7. redplexi

redplexi Member

I know that, but I thought that maybe something was out there that i had not heard about.

I think that I'm going to pull out my old Rack w/Switching system in and go to a Multiple Amp set-up. And use a rack Drawer in the loop for Stomp Boxes.

8. v-verb

v-verb Member

Hands down abso-fn-lutely the Mako Custom Hundred watt!!!!

Also makes an amazing practice amp as you can get that rage at LOW volumes!

www.makoamplification.com

:dude :dude

9. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

Of the amps I've owned or tried I like the:

Engl Savage 120
    Bogner Ecstacy
    Soldano Decatone
    Soldano Lucky 13

All of which are under $4000. My favorite of the ones listed is the Bogner.

10. gulliver

gulliver Member

I hate to say it, but with all of those needs and that budget, you may be better off going with rack gear and covering all of the above with a small assortment of preamps :confused:

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

for sheer versatility and great tone, the H&K Triamp.....

12. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

VHT Ultralead w/EQ
    VHT CLX w/ EQ
    Custom Audio/Suhr OD 100SE or OD50
    Diezel Herbert

Steve

13. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Not to insult other people here, but redplexi also said "searing gain metal" so I think some suggestions are out. Please read people's requisites when you post a reply (it's only polite).

14. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

Love those clips, I might have to give that a try!

15. v-verb

v-verb Member

Mako does searing gain metal very nicely thank you!

16. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

CAA OD100 might be the answer to all these requirements.

Drop the metal requirement and then it's either Rivera 100 Watt Rake Reverb or Demeter TGA-3.

17. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Actually depending on what "searing" metal means to you, all amps mentioned so far are capable of doing this.

Everyone has different definitions for "metal" depending on when you grew-up and what you listened to, a Bogner Ecstasy is MORE than enough for 80's SEARING metal tone and even for 90's alt-metal stuff like Soundgarden, Alice and Chains and Jane's Addiction (Navaro is a big Bogner endorser, and I've always though he had an awesome metal lead tone). So it really depends on what your definition of metal is.

As far as I know, even the Zinky will get you some heavy metal scooped tones.

So just cause some of these amps can't do drop-tuned massive low-end saturated ka-chug ka-chug stuff like some of the other amps out there (Engl, Mesa, Uberschall) doesn't mean they aren't searing metal gain. IMO.:D

-TJK

18. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Also, if I had to choose a channel switching head with those tones in mind and that price range, I would definately go for a VHT Ultra Lead w/EQ, lots of footswitchable options and tone tweaking switches on the amp, totally refine your sound, massive cleans with a pleasant top-end and very tight, articulate drive tones from vintage to death metal. Plus one of the best loops in the business if you wanted to throw some reverb in there for jazz tones, or delay for hair metal solos or a chorus pedal *snicker*:D

-TJK

19. Cokemachine

Cokemachine Member

For 2 channels...

Peters Dual Channel with clean preamp and either one of the Modern High Gain preamps. The Lead Overdrive preamps are no slouches in the high gain department either and clean up better and clean up extremely well for cleaner tones and mild crunch. Independent eq's, master volumes and effects loops for each channel, plus the lowest noise of any high gain amp that I've played to date.

For 3+ channels...

Diezel Herbert is a hugely versatile amp. Lots of overlap going on there between the 3 channels, but better to have it than not to have it at all. Best of all is that this amp has its own thing going on as far as tones go.

Channel switchers that didn't float my boat...

Diezel VH4 - Just didn't register with me. I chalk that up to all the hype that I had heard on it. Not a bad amp, just not worth the price tag for me.

Zinky Superfly - No offense to anyone, but I thought the Zinky Superfly was flat out terrible. I sat through a demo that Bruce did of the amp and it totally ruined my concept of bad tones.

Bogner Ecstacy - Again nice amp, but I just found that the Soldano SLO-100 did the same thing for me better, albeit with less versatility.

20. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Orange Rockerverb. I prefer the 50's tone, but the 100 is a killer amp too. Unique sound, excellent master on the OD channel. Goes from mild crunch to punishing tricked-out Marshall kind of gainy sound, but with incredible, firm low end. The clean channel will get extremely loud and stay clean. Excellent effects loop and reverb. Cost? Used, from 1200-1500 bux. Quite a bargain for an incredibly cool and unique sound, IMO. A few clips:

Clean

Rockin

Moderate gain

Search for Kannibul's clips for higher gain stuff.