Best Channel Switching Amp for Clean to Metal for under $2000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Josh O, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

I saw some of the sweet suggestions in the thread about $4000 and under, I'm curious what's out there that can cover Fendery cleans, a nice gritty Marshall-esque distortion up to a VHT Deliverance type metal in an all tube head under $2000 new. No Mesa, no Krank, no Marshall, no Randall, no solid state, no hybrid, no modeling. I would want reverb, channel switching, footswitch, as low power as I can get but still be able to have a metal distortion as it's in a small room. Right now I run my Matamp at 3 watts. This amp can do it all tonewise except for metal but it's not channel switching. Just curious what could be out there.

2. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

You're really limiting yourself here, IMO. Lots of suggestions will come, I'd offer maybe a used Rivera Knucklehead II ?

3. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Honestly, I don't know how metal you want to go, and I don't know if you want three distinct channels, but I can get what I would consider a metal tone from my Shiva. Gain cranked 3/4 up, mids pumped up, boost on and presence at almost 4 o'clock, then high and lows to taste. If you want scooped Mesa tones, maybe not, but I have been messing with that tone this week, and totally jamming some 80s metal with it. I love it.

I set my tone regularly slightly less "metal" than this, then tweak the drive channel all around by disengaging the boost and using my volume knob. It's really, really versatile, and perfect for me.

I got my EL34 head with reverb for about $1400. It doesn't have three channels though, so that might rule it out right there.

4. FredW

FredW Member

ENGL Screamer 50- I think you can get them for around $1150. One of the best sounding amps at low volume I have played

5. hour9

hour9 Member

+1 on Rivera
    You can pick up Knucklheads pretty cheap

6. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Peters Dual Channel there is 50w for sale here with a clean/High Gain Channel or get a 20w built by Peters. It will be my next amp.

7. 69strat

69strat Member

Engl Bitchie Crackwhore model. 100 watts pure clean to ear bleeding volumes or full balls to the walls metal. Add the footswitch with four channels two master volumes and a mid boost switch and you have a gigging mans dream amp! Just my .02 Common Gregc chime in here!!!!

8. vinni

vinni Member

Diezel Einstein!

9. Blueser

Blueser Member

Orange Rockerverb 100!

10. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

Try a Egnater TOL 100. It has 4 channels and reverb and can cover the spectrum. You can usually find a Rocktron produced TOL 100 for less than $2000.00. You can also find a Randall head with reverb and three channels that will accept their Egnater designed interchangeable tube preamp modules so you can choose the amps you want to emulate for each channel.

11. vinni

vinni Member

Yep....that's a very good choice too.

Vinni

12. theHoss

theHoss Member

Knucklehead II. I think it is 3 channels, with two EQs. Boosts etc. Not my type of amp, but bad ass nonetheless. Very versitile, and not Booteekie price.

13. CNP

CNP Member

You might want to look at a Pritchard, but you'll be slightly over $2K. Also, it's a solid state amp (that sounds better than most tube amps)!

14. ahellam

ahellam Member

15. troublehead

troublehead Member

I second the Engl Screamer or Blackmore.

16. Electric I

Electric I Member

Another vote for the Knucklehead...

17. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

+1 for the Engl Screamer, Blackmore or even maybe the Savage (not sure about price in the US)

18. kram21

kram21 Member

19. tuna

tuna Member

I've read some good comments on here about the Aiken Sabre. Fender clean on one channel and Marshall grind to full metal on the other channel. I own an Aiken Invader and it is a very nice feature packed amp for the money.

http://www.indoorstorm.com/product_info.php?products_id=2390

Here's a good place to look for one and a nice clip by Eddie Berman

20. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

You're probably thinking of the Knucklehead Reverb

The Knucklehead II is two channels with not so fancy control and huge thumping gain channel.